HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roberts Center for Pediatric Research in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 3:37 AM

Lightbulb PHILADELPHIA | Roberts Center for Pediatric Research | 375 FT | 23 FLOORS

Title: Roberts Center for Pediatric Research
Project: Office Space, Research Space, Commercial Space, Parking, Green Space
Architect: Ballinger/ Pelli Clark Pelli
Developer: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Neighborhood: Graduate Hospital
District: South Philadelphia
Floors: 23
Height: 375 feet

CHOP is planning a 3 tower complex along Schuylkill Avenue in the Graduate Hospital neighborhood of South Philadelphia right across the river from their University City medical center in West Philadelphia. The first phase of the development will be a 23 floor, 375 foot, 743,000 sq ft office/research building with parking and green space for 1,000 CHOP researchers. When the complex is completed with future phases taking place at later dates, it will consist of 2,155,000 sq ft of office/research space, a possible hotel, 1,440 parking spaces, green space, a continuation of the Schuylkill River Banks trail, and possible transit connections with the CHOP University City Medical Center.

Upon completion, tower 1 will be the tallest building in South Philadelphia.

Links
http://southofsouth.org/sites/southo...lan-phase1.pdf
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...aster-plan.php

Last edited by summersm343; Nov 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
Hello

For those of you outside of Philadelphia that do not know what CHOP is:
CHOP = The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

It is consistently ranked the #1 children's hospital in the United States.

U.S. News Best Children's Hospitals 2012-13
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...atric-rankings

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
For those of you outside of Philadelphia that do not know what CHOP is:
CHOP = The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

It is consistently ranked the #1 children's hospital in the United States.

U.S. News Best Children's Hospitals 2012-13
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...atric-rankings
Penn has plans to expand its medical complex onto the western river bank (where there is currently green space). So in a about a decade, this is going to be a huge medical campus...

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 8:02 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Those are some awesome freaking aerials of Philly.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 8:36 PM

I love this plan. Amazing green space connects perfectly to South Street and the trail.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Penn has plans to expand its medical complex onto the western river bank (where there is currently green space). So in a about a decade, this is going to be a huge medical campus...
It's already huge, which explains why Penn is perennially among the top 2 or 3 recipients of NIH research funding in the country, but it certainly will get even huger.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 1:53 AM

I agree, great aerials, from a different vantage point. I was thinking the chop was a new steakhouse..

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:58 PM

So based on this picture it looks like they'll double or triple the width of Schuylkill Ave then try to sell it to us as green space. sigh. The other aspects of the project look pretty good though.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:20 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

My thoughts:

1. Drop the parking req's. There is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of it, for where it is (next to several urban neighborhoods, alongside the region's main bike artery, and a five-minute walk from the University City station).

2. Don't demolish that armory unless you absolutely have to. It has good bones, is built to be nigh-indestructible, and (probably) has the foundations to cope with overbuilding. It's clearly an asset to the site, if you can use it properly. And frankly, based on the site plan, there is no reason whatsoever that it has to be razed for surface parking in Phase I. The new construction won't overlap with it, and it's already fitted to be a parking garage. (The parking podium in Phase II has the same dimensions as the armory anyway.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
My thoughts:

1. Drop the parking req's. There is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of it, for where it is (next to several urban neighborhoods, alongside the region's main bike artery, and a five-minute walk from the University City station).

2. Don't demolish that armory unless you absolutely have to.
I agree with both your points but I am glad to see that the tallest/largest tower is "Phase 1". Often Phase 1 is some inconsequential piece of the development, i.e. the garage at Cira South.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I agree with both your points but I am glad to see that the tallest/largest tower is "Phase 1". Often Phase 1 is some inconsequential piece of the development, i.e. the garage at Cira South.
I'll add Sugarhouse and XFinity Live!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:55 PM

Looks like the first tower will rise next year and be 20-something stories high.

http://nakedphilly.com/graduate-hosp...tal-neighbors/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Looks like the first tower will rise next year and be 20-something stories high.

http://nakedphilly.com/graduate-hosp...tal-neighbors/
I like the ongoing discussion of whether the site should add retail. Not so sure myself, but I do like the idea of some small eatery of some sort of the west side off the trail. Something that future employees can use as well as those that take advantage of the growing trail.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I like the ongoing discussion of whether the site should add retail. Not so sure myself, but I do like the idea of some small eatery of some sort of the west side off the trail. Something that future employees can use as well as those that take advantage of the growing trail.
1.5million sf of office space is more than the Comcast Center boasts--so a lunchtime spot or happy hour bar would be plenty successful.

On the flip side, if no retail is offered, perhaps that could be the impetus for the Schuylkill River Park to add riverfront restaurant space --kinda like real city's do.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
1.5million sf of office space is more than the Comcast Center boasts--so a lunchtime spot or happy hour bar would be plenty successful.

On the flip side, if no retail is offered, perhaps that could be the impetus for the Schuylkill River Park to add riverfront restaurant space --kinda like real city's do.
Has anyone seen an updated drawing of the first tower?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

Exactly, hopefully the city takes advantage of one waterfront.

Would love the idea of visiting the Art Museum strolling down the trail and grabbing a bit to eat without having to jump back in the car. Waterworks is just not cutting it for the average person.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Exactly, hopefully the city takes advantage of one waterfront.

Would love the idea of visiting the Art Museum strolling down the trail and grabbing a bit to eat without having to jump back in the car. Waterworks is just not cutting it for the average person.
Agreed. They should step it up at Waterworks. The rest of the Schuylkill Banks trail is just to narrow for a cafe or eatery.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Has anyone seen an updated drawing of the first tower?
Not yet. Construction is not set to begin until Summer of next year. We'll likely see more updated renderings in the Spring.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 6:09 AM

this is a bit farther down, but when this, chop/penn med, and u.city are done. FMC might not look so out of place... and penn park will be surrounded by high rises.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:02 PM

Credit to Cubanchris.

Quote:
I don't have time at the moment to grab all of the images, but for those interested in the CHOP presentation with accompanying renders it is here:

http://www.chop.edu/export/download/...esentation.pdf

Page 14 has a detailed rendering of the phase 1 facade that looks really nice (though helped by the sunset colors they added in).

All of it seems pretty amazing to me, except I really think they should carve out the space for a real restaurant/bar turned toward the river & promenade (page 12& 20) to take advantage of the views and space.
A lot of good information on what they see this project becoming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive