HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
They could call it "Mall."
What a wise-ass you are

Seriously, why not re-name it "City Creek Center"?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 6:23 AM

Why doesn't City Creek Center just rebrand itself as City Center?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 5:27 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 6:00 PM

Quote:
I like it. I can already hear the train announcement alert "next station mall"

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 8:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I can see where xseven is coming from. I always thought it was a good idea when "Delta Center" station was re-named Arena Station a few years back. I think "City Creek" would work best for the "City Center" stop. Beside nobody is really going to call that area of downtown "City Center" It's known now as "City Creek Center" Any Sandy, West Valley type cities can use the name "City Center"
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I can see where xseven is coming from. I always thought it was a good idea when "Delta Center" station was re-named Arena Station a few years back. I think "City Creek" would work best for the "City Center" stop. Beside nobody is really going to call that area of downtown "City Center" It's known now as "City Creek Center" Any Sandy, West Valley type cities can use the name "City Center"
Hell no! There is only one "City Center," and it's in Downtown SLC!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:02 AM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Hell no! There is only one "City Center," and it's in Downtown SLC!
I for one don't care what the station is called. Both options make sense in my opinion. As we have seen it is easy enough to change names in the future anyway. But I agree that if "city center" were not used it would have to be retired until needed for some future Trax stop but only in downtown SLC!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 6:14 AM

Quote:

Why doesn't City Creek Center just rebrand itself as City Center?
Because "City Creek Center" is geographically specific.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never heard anyone refer to Salt Lake City's downtown as "City Center".

The TRAX station name was appropriate twelve years ago, but a lot has changed since.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
But I agree that if "city center" were not used it would have to be retired until needed for some future Trax stop but only in downtown SLC!
I absolutely agree with this.

The cities of Sandy, West Valley, West Jordan, Draper... They ALL want/need/have and would continue to prostitute themselves for TRAX and a "City Center" station name.

If it's not in SLC, it shouldn't happen.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 7:57 AM
farmerboy

I don't like the idea of naming a publicly funded transit station after a private entity. However I would be OK with the naming rights being sold for a hefty sum.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 3:38 PM

They do already have Fashion Place West, Temple Square, and Trolley. Besides, City Creek is not just the name of a development, it's the name of a geographic feature for which the mall took its name. But I think that would be a silly requirement anyway. So many of the stops are named after privately owned developments already. Even if they don't carry the brand name, they still reflect the private organization that is there (e.g. Planetarium, Arena). The significance isn't changed just because the wording is different (basically the CE vs. AD issue).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
They do already have Fashion Place West, Temple Square, and Trolley. Besides, City Creek is not just the name of a development, it's the name of a geographic feature for which the mall took its name. But I think that would be a silly requirement anyway. So many of the stops are named after privately owned developments already. Even if they don't carry the brand name, they still reflect the private organization that is there (e.g. Planetarium, Arena). The significance isn't changed just because the wording is different (basically the CE vs. AD issue).
I'm fairly certain Fashion Place Mall derived it's name from the neighborhood. As in there was already a Fashion Place, Utah before there was a Fashion Place Mall.

Trolley Square and the trolley barns existed before the Trolley Square Shopping Center.

City Center Station is named City Center for a reason. That reason is still relavant. So why change the name?

btw, AD and CE do not mean the same thing. AD means "In the year of our lord" referring to the Christian belief, but CE actually is more inclusive:

Quote:
There is a trend among scholars towards using "BCE" and "CE" as year markers rather than BC and AD. As abbreviations for Before the Common Era and Common Era, they do not specifically privilege Christianity; instead, they simply make reference to the fact that we are living in an era shared in common between Christians and other religions — though Christianity and Judaism are the two religions usually in mind. Some regard this as anti-Christian or an atheist conspiracy against Christianity.
http://bit.ly/hh7YY5

Most modern religions including Christianity are astrological hybrids ie parody's on sun worship. This BCE-CE changeover is held in common with most offshoots of sun worship/astrology.

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 1, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:19 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
I'm fairly certain Fashion Place Mall derived it's name from the neighborhood. As in there was already a Fashion Place, Utah before there was a Fashion Place Mall.

Trolley Square and the trolley barns existed before the Trolley Square Shopping Center.

City Center Station is named City Center for a reason. That reason is still relavant. So why change the name?
I can see the merit on a name change. At that stop there is almost nothing but City Creek Center. That said, the transit system and every one using it should always keep clear that there is a center to the city, a heart so to speak, and City Center tells you, when you look at a map or arrive at the stop, you have arrived. I like that better than just naming it for a commercial development (mall) that happens to be in the city center so I change my indecision from earlier to keeping the name City Center.

If in the future there are many stops in the city center (and I hope I am alive to see that day) the names could be refined to more specific names that relate to significant developments that surround them.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think so.. Regardless, that doesn't change the point. City Creek was named after a pre-existing geographic feature. A title could have multiple connotations without being directly tied to either one of them. Just because the name could (and most likely will) be associated with a private organization doesn't mean that it can't be used, or at least that's what UTA has decided in the past.

Quote:
And? Those were privately owned too. See above.

Quote:
This has already been pointed out. "City Center" is adequate, but "City Creek" seems superior to some for reasons stated.

Quote:
btw, AD and CE do not mean the same thing. AD means "In the year of our lord" referring to the Christian belief, but CE actually is more inclusive:
Well obviously. My point was that the significance of something isn't necessarily changed just because the title is. Calling something "Planetarium" as opposed to "Clark Planetarium" is at the very least a lame attempt to seem neutral when clearly they're promoting a private entity (which I don't mind anyway). This is essentially the same principle as when they say "CE" instead of "AD" in an attempt to be secular and thus politically correct, when in reality they're still working from exactly the same calendar which is most commonly understood to be one that is religious. The point is, these attempts to be unbiased are trivial in essence.

Quote:
Most modern religions including Christianity are astrological hybrids ie parody's on sun worship. This BCE-CE changeover is held in common with most offshoots of sun worship/astrology.
This is irrelevant. And as a normal, forward-thinking person without a long history of abuse on this forum (), I'm sure you'll just take my word and realize that nobody wants to have that discussion, which isn't appropriate for this context anyway.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Well obviously. My point was that the significance of something isn't necessarily changed just because the title is. Calling something "Planetarium" as opposed to "Clark Planetarium" is at the very least a lame attempt to seem neutral when clearly they're promoting a private entity (which I don't mind anyway). This is essentially the same principle as when they say "CE" instead of "AD" in an attempt to be secular and thus politically correct, when in reality they're still working from exactly the same calendar which is most commonly understood to be one that is religious. The point is, these attempts to be unbiased are trivial in essence.
Then AD vs. CE wasn't a good comparison. Regardless I get your point.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
HA HA! That's a joke, right? Just like the Fashion Show Mall in Las Vegas was built on the site of what was named by Father Escalante: Fashion Show, Nevada. 'Cause Escalante was really into fashion.

The area of Fashion Place Mall used to be known as South Cottonwood from 1848 to 1883 when it changed its name to Murray.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 8:54 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
HA HA! That's a joke, right? Just like the Fashion Show Mall in Las Vegas was built on the site of what was named by Father Escalante: Fashion Show, Nevada. 'Cause Escalante was really into fashion.

The area of Fashion Place Mall used to be known as South Cottonwood from 1848 to 1883 when it changed its name to Murray.
You've got that wrong it wasn't because he liked fashion it was named after St. Fashionte Showleta. It got shortened to Fashion Show much later.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 4:35 AM

I've always found it interesting to get an outsider's perspective on issues relating to Salt Lake City, so this was right up my alley. It's a blog post from a guy who just moved here from Amsterdam regarding our transit and transportation infrastructure.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF SALT LAKE CITY TRAFFIC, TRANSIT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

http://schaaltreinen.nl/65900285

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Salt Lake City International Airport THREAD

I think there are a good amount of aviation enthusiast in Salt Lake and all over Utah.

With a lot of construction going on at the airport, and the possibility of a new terminal in the future, I thought it would be perfect for the SLC airport to have its very own thread!

List of current projects going on at SLC Int'l Airport that I know of...

- TRAX airport line
- new taxiway/deicing stands being placed next to runway 34L
- plans for a lot of new food and duty freed shops built in both terminals 1 and 2

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 7:54 PM

Let's not decentralize or compartmentalize too much...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West