HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That looks a lot like this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88370...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Sara and Langside
The location of Langside Grocery.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:57 PM

New sign in the window for the old Planit/La Bamba location. Says: "Something Delicious is Coming #204tipsycow". there's a Tipsy Cow logo as well.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:59 PM

I saw in the window of the Browns Social House in Centrepoint. I'd say that at best it's only 5% complete. It seems almost like they only have one guy working on the project! At this rate, it won't be open for at least another year.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
New sign in the window for the old Planit/La Bamba location. Says: "Something Delicious is Coming #204tipsycow". there's a Tipsy Cow logo as well.
https://www.tipsycowwpg.com/

https://www.instagram.com/204tipsycow/

Damn, that burger looks good.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:07 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
They may as well put a revolving door at the front entrance to symbolize the constant churn of tenants in that space.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They may as well put a revolving door at the front entrance to symbolize the constant churn of tenants in that space.
Concept, food quality, service are paramount. Also, based on the sale of the building, this may have been a factor for the last restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:30 PM

The problem on the Tipsy Cow space is the dining hall is huge and narrow. Regardless of the tenant it is nearly impossible to use the whole space efficiently. Worse, you need to rent two whole floors as the kitchen is upstairs. It is also priced with the "Jets" premium built in.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:32 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
I saw in the window of the Browns Social House in Centrepoint. I'd say that at best it's only 5% complete. It seems almost like they only have one guy working on the project! At this rate, it won't be open for at least another year.
Meanwhile a new Timmy's has opened up next door.

I was there last Friday with a friend.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:33 PM
Spiritual

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:35 PM
Armchair urbanist

Looks like I found my downtown burger place during the work week.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 7:49 PM

Thai restaurant coming to Westwood area. It's under construction in the small strip mall on north side of Portage directly west of the new Wendy's that replaced the old A&W (and just east of Steve's Bistro). Not sure the brand yet (thought it was Bangkok Thai, but not 100% sure).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:12 PM

I will be in attendance.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My guess is the pizza truck is allowed at 201 Portage with the pizza outlet in the food court as the rumors are all the food court tenants are month to month now. If the food court one didn't like it they could move out.

In terms of the downtown DQ I would guess it has to be TNS. If you go way, way far back their sister chain Orange Julius operated out of what is now CityPlace but was in the now demolished north portion of the mall at the bottom of the escalators. Not sure they ever had ice cream though.
The current food court is closed. So, no competition over pizza. Just Mmmmufiins and the sushi takeout left.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:53 AM

The part that interests me about Tipsy Cow is that that building was supposed to be getting "redeveloped" as part of the Sterling building conversion. Guess they decided to keep it status quo.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:33 PM

The challenge with the Tipsy Cow space next to the Sterling Building is it is very narrow and constrained on both sides. Add in what appears to be a full second floor that is only used as a kitchen. It is a really big space but being deep off Portage with a narrow frontage makes it very difficult to split. If it is actually a separate building from Sterling, which it appears to be, coupled with where the entrance to the Sterling building is compounds the problem.

It is worth noting that this will be the second attempt at a burger joint in that location. I can't recall the name of the last place but think it was after the Mexican place. It lasted about a month. I can't imagine Tipsy Cow is going to have better luck there unless they got a concession on the lease rate as the spot really can only draw at lunch and even then they typically struggle to fill the space.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:40 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is worth noting that this will be the second attempt at a burger joint in that location. I can't recall the name of the last place but think it was after the Mexican place. It lasted about a month. I can't imagine Tipsy Cow is going to have better luck there unless they got a concession on the lease rate as the spot really can only draw at lunch and even then they typically struggle to fill the space.
The place is hamstrung by the fact that it has no parking (using the Winnipeg definition of no parking, i.e. there is no free parking lot). And even though there are some on-street metered spaces and parkades nearby, the reality is that people aren't going to go to the hassle of paying for parking or risking a ticket for an unremarkable restaurant when there so many of those that have convenient parking. I hate to say it, but it's the truth.

About the only food establishments that can draw a crowd downtown without parking are coffee shops, or places located on the skywalk.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
The place is hamstrung by the fact that it has no parking (using the Winnipeg definition of no parking, i.e. there is no free parking lot). And even though there are some on-street metered spaces and parkades nearby, the reality is that people aren't going to go to the hassle of paying for parking or risking a ticket for an unremarkable restaurant when there so many of those that have convenient parking. I hate to say it, but it's the truth.

About the only food establishments that can draw a crowd downtown without parking are coffee shops, or places located on the skywalk.
Or places are that are of interest. Yellow Dog Tavern comes to mind. The well established Kings Head Pub, Johnny G's or the vast majority of restaurants in the Exchange for that matter do not have convenient parking. BUT they have done something to make people want to go there. Tipsy will succeed if they do things right.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:

Chipman owned/backed restaurants in the downtown area seem to be able to manage okay for some reason. That said anything as close as Tipsy Cow is to the MTS Centre needs to figure out how to pull people in outside the downtown lunch market. Not sure the full details on how they pulled it off but would be a model to look at. That said if Tipsy Cow could figure out a way to open the backdoor and get people to the Smith St parkade a touch quicker it could address the parking issue.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:31 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Or places are that are of interest. Yellow Dog Tavern comes to mind. The well established Kings Head Pub, Johnny G's or the vast majority of restaurants in the Exchange for that matter do not have convenient parking. BUT they have done something to make people want to go there. Tipsy will succeed if they do things right.
The difference is you can park in front of the places you name. The Tipsy Cow location is one of the few that has hardly any on-street parking spaces within sight of the entrance, and none in front of the building. To Winnipeggers, this effectively means there is no parking at all.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
What happened to the coffee shop on the skywalk? They got Timmied?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan