HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I love people who keep saying tenants are being "kicked out" of The Forks. That hasn't happened once... sometimes lease agreements end and landlords don't want to renew for any number of reasons.
I'm not sure what "kicked out" means to you, but to me, saying "we're not going to renew your lease, you have to leave" fits the definition pretty well.

Not that I'm complaining about the changes at the Forks. I do miss Dragon Express, but I can understand why they might have wanted it gone. Moving Fergie's to elsewhere in the market seems like a great idea, as the ambience at the new pizza place is really spoiled by the overpowering smell of fish.

Still sad that they gave Baba's the boot, though.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:21 PM

Pho Hoang opening a branch in the Curry Building at Portage & Notre Dame, in the former Kim Long space:

Exciting! Hope they don't close at 6pm like Kim Long did.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
I'm not sure what "kicked out" means to you, but to me, saying "we're not going to renew your lease, you have to leave" fits the definition pretty well.

Not that I'm complaining about the changes at the Forks. I do miss Dragon Express, but I can understand why they might have wanted it gone. Moving Fergie's to elsewhere in the market seems like a great idea, as the ambience at the new pizza place is really spoiled by the overpowering smell of fish.

Still sad that they gave Baba's the boot, though.
I wouldn't consider an agreement between two parties coming to an end, and one not wanting to renew "kicked out." The agreement ended.

And Baba's didn't "get the boot" – it was one of three operations in The Forks Market owned by Tall Grass Prairie and they no longer wanted it, it was too much for them. You can buy the perogies at the store now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
And Baba's didn't "get the boot" – it was one of three operations in The Forks Market owned by Tall Grass Prairie and they no longer wanted it, it was too much for them. You can buy the perogies at the store now.
Before Baba's closed, they put up a sign saying that the Forks wanted them out because they decided to do something else with the space.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 5:47 PM

I say kicked out beacause that is what Romalda of Human Bean told her customers. She printed a closing down notice and had it posted in my office building, it stated they were forced out as they no longer fit the vision of the forks. I’m not taking her side or anything I just know she was very upset as it was part of her livelyhood.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Before Baba's closed, they put up a sign saying that the Forks wanted them out because they decided to do something else with the space.
I've heard before that it wasn't making them much money, but it afforded the Tall Grass group more kitchen space, which is what they were upset about losing. The Forks takes a portion of sales as rent, so they can tell which businesses are doing well.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:36 PM

went for lunch at Petes Place on main and found it had been converted to a Viet restaurant. maybe old news here. had a real good pho.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:36 AM

many tenants complained about the way the forks was being presented and maintained for years , coming up with ideas that were just shot down. and when they finally realized they needed to get it together kicked out , moved or just made ultimatums out of left field . tenants had dealt with leaking ceiling ,crap security , weeks of inadequate air conditioning or heat lies and other crap for years and finally the place was getting fixed and they were out of a livelihood.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:20 PM

The Forks "vision" fully derailed before it left the station.

The new food hall seemed like the original plan was to be a kickstarter of sorts for people wanting to try different food concepts. Much like how the beer and wine at The Commons is constantly being cycled to match seasons, etc there was supposed to be fairly rapid turnover of food vendors, by design. It seemed like you could go from your home kitchen to The Forks food hall, try out your concept before an audience and if successful earn the money needed to move on to some place else. With the new food hall being permanent vendors now the same issue of "kicking tenants out" is going to apply to these new vendors at some point.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:04 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
went for lunch at Petes Place on main and found it had been converted to a Viet restaurant. maybe old news here. had a real good pho.
Pete's Place is relocating to the old Barley Brothers location on Empress.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The Forks "vision" fully derailed before it left the station.

The new food hall seemed like the original plan was to be a kickstarter of sorts for people wanting to try different food concepts. Much like how the beer and wine at The Commons is constantly being cycled to match seasons, etc there was supposed to be fairly rapid turnover of food vendors, by design. It seemed like you could go from your home kitchen to The Forks food hall, try out your concept before an audience and if successful earn the money needed to move on to some place else. With the new food hall being permanent vendors now the same issue of "kicking tenants out" is going to apply to these new vendors at some point.
Yeah they tried that but realized quickly it was a logistical nightmare, and very costly, as every vendor has different equipment and setup needs, and downtime between changeovers would be too long and expensive.

They are only signing Food Hall tenants to 2 or maximum 3 year leases now, being very clear that leases will only be renewed based on continuing demand and sales, if at all. To make it attractive to vendors to possibly operate a buisness there for only 2-3 years, The Forks owns all of the major equipment, menu signs, POS systems etc., so there isn't a massive startup cost for new vendors.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:38 AM

Announcement about Kilter Brewing’s plans for their location at 80 Sherbrook.

https://kilterbrewing.co/blogs/brewe...on-in-winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:54 PM

The Pastry Castle has just opened on Edmonton Street, across from the Hydro Building. As I understand it, the place has operated at different locations in the past.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:02 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Wow, blast from the past. I remember them best from their location on McDermot where the Free Press News Café is now. They used to be in at least one other location, but I can't remember where exactly.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

Had Kua Pho at Lao-Thai on Selkirk today. Amazing! They’re apparently moving, so go before they’re gone. Another place I have to recommend is Pho 675 at Sinclair and Jefferson. It’s or a broth to rival anyone’s.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:48 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Lao Thai left Selkirk before to move to St. Anne's and then they moved back to Selkirk. Now they're moving again?!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Apparently - and he says they’ll be back. I don’t get it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:29 PM

Not sure if this is old news but Nuburger is opening a location in Transcona.

http://www.ilovenuburger.com/locations

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:12 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I would bet in the new CRU they are building in the property with the Starbucks and Dairyqueen. The new building is going just west of Dairyqueen at the back of the site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:52 PM

I thought they were already in the building on Rougeau at Regent by Bulk Barn??

Edit: Oh that's Fatburger on Rougeau.

Nuburger, oldburger, fatburger, skinnyburger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan