HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:13 AM
Meh

That tower at 5th Brazos isn't bad. I do like the base and the tower itself. I'm not sure about the hotel/residential split, though. I think that portion needs some smoothing over. And I'd rather see that lower portion with the white facade and square windows be just like the rest of the facade, but turned vertically instead. That link says 504 feet and 47 floors. That would be our 4th tallest counting 360's spire, but it would be the 3rd highest roof height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
AND it's not as if we're being divas about this. I would be totally fine and probably supportive if it were somewhere else downtown...but if you look back at all the other groups who submitted their lovely proposals and we end up with BROWN STACKS....it's really deceptive. Oh, and San Antonio was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this design
Actually, I rather like San Antonio's Bank of America Plaza. But yes, this building really does resemble it in some ways.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:17 AM

The projects listing on the first page is getting pretty far out of date again.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:48 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Holy. Shit.

That is f*ing beautiful.
"...F*ing beautiful?"

Please tell me you're kidding. The thing is horrible and lacks any unique quality in design. It is a copy of their Coast at Lakeshore East in Chicago building. Furthermore, this is from the same development company that brought you Aqua (one of the most interesting, aesthetic buildings in North America)!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Triple tower design? You do realize that the other towers that were part of this development are on totally different lots. There's another apartment tower along the river and an office tower that are still planned.
I was referring to this design with the three towers....

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...n_1406677a.jpg

I see what you are saying though.... there are other lots to be built on.... please God.... don't let there be a twin brown stacked tower.... Ughhhhhhhh

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:54 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
"...F*ing beautiful?"

Please tell me you're kidding. The thing is horrible and lacks any unique quality in design. It is a copy of their Coast at Lakeshore East in Chicago building. Furthermore, this is from the same development company that brought you Aqua (one of the most interesting, aesthetic buildings in North America)!
Hmm. Now that I look at the execution of that building, I'm slightly hesitant about it. The design looks good in the rendering, but the execution of the very similar building that you mentioned was horrible (!!!). Yikes.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:55 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Longhorn View Post
I was referring to this design with the three towers.... I thought they were cool.... Maybe I'm confusing the project?

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...n_1406677a.jpg
Yes. Those are three separate blocks, with three separate towers. This is only the particular easternmost block in that rendering.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:55 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Ugh.
Here, here!!! Heck, the Planetarium design wasn't great; but, it was light years better than this 2001 Space Odyssey monolith in the sky. We already have the W. Heck, my 18-month-old can draw a rectangle for a skyscraper.

Come on people, lets demand more innovative designs for this city. Are we not an innovative town? Do we not like to think of Austin as a city on the forefront of new thinking and design (in many different forms)? Let's demand more from our architecture. Denver does it with an economic incentive for creative and unique design!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:57 AM

How awesome would it be to have the Planetarium next to Frost instead of the Brazos and 5th project? I know... no more fantasy Austin skyline stuff....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Here, here!!! Heck, the Planetarium design wasn't great; but, it was light years better than this 2001 Space Odyssey monolith in the sky. We already have the W. Heck, my 18-month-old can draw a rectangle for a skyscraper.

Come on people, lets demand more innovative designs for this city. Are we not an innovative town? Do we not like to think of Austin as a city on the forefront of new thinking and design (in many different forms)? Let's demand more from our architecture. Denver does it with an economic incentive for creative and unique design!
Whoa! Dude, you read my mind on the planetarium comment.... I literally just posted that before I read your post.

I think this is a sign from the Cosmos.... we must start the fundraising campaign again for the planetarium!

Hahahaha... maybe we will get it on the next Austin Budget!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:02 AM

By the way... you should totally post your 18-month old's drawing of this skyscraper on this forum....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:09 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't know about y'all, but I like it. I'm learning that I prefer sleek, minimalistic designs. I see people mention Aqua, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Nobody knew anything about this project 3 weeks ago. This is the first rendering, so I'm sure like everything else it'll go through an evolution.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:12 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Well, it's big, I'm not sure it's beautuful. The tower portion is totally plain and featureless. But I'm guessing that this is just a preliminary rendering. I like the bottom part a lot.

As someone on reddit pointed out, no parking garage. Pretty cool, no?

Image courtesy of BuildingATX
I love Austin. I went to UT and enjoyed the hell out of the city. So I say this out of respect for Austin... this design looks like 100+ filler buildings going up around New York City right now. It's not worthy of Austin. It's tall, and that's great and all, but the design is not just boring... it's haphazard and unbalanced both vertically and horizontally. The base looks like a mall, the mid-section looks like two different buildings slapped together, and the top looks cheap and lacks complete imagination. Will it add to the shape of the skyline? Yes. But it will look best from Mount Bonnell... good from afar but far from good.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Now that I look at the execution of that building, I'm slightly hesitant about it. The design looks good in the rendering, but the execution of the very similar building that you mentioned was horrible (!!!). Yikes.
On third thought, I was looking at construction photos, whereas in this photo is appears to be finished (or near finish) and looks pretty sleek:

http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/646/286646.jpg

It's a good tower and if this version is anything like that I'll be happy. There will be a signature tower eventually to tie everything together. Just wait. This isn't exactly the perfect spot for a signature tower anyway.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:29 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I really like the bottom of 5th and Brazos too!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:54 AM
JACKinBeantown

... and look at the poor Driskill weeping quietly in the background.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:23 AM

Wow, the 5th and Brazos proposal is impressive! Hope it happens.

Good base, good massing, good colors. I really like the design of the base and the lower tower most of all, actually. The upper part is kind of generic but with the height and color it works IMO. It seems to share some characteristics with the W in uptown Dallas, except the top part is not as exciting... but hey, it's significantly taller (the Dallas W is only 33 floors).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Finally now that's what I'm talking about! nice and tall

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:57 AM

The more I look at 5th and Brazos, the more it grows on me. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 5:20 AM
Meh

Here is the construction thread on Coast at Lakeshore in Chicago.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...+coast&page=29

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 5:59 AM

I rather liked the HEB at 38th with all those cutie college girls always popping out in every aisle. But truth is my HEB was Pleasant Valley and Riverside. :/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations