HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:02 AM
BANNED

I really like it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:38 AM

Looks amazing for the area, as long as they don't cheap out on the glass. Greenish glass would look like trash.

The parking situation is going to be interesting. I feel like their target market here is most likely international students, lots of whom drive. The location is slightly too far to comfortably walk to campus and the walk really sucks in the winter due to a lack of any shelter from the wind. Most buses in the morning are full by this stretch. There's also no on street parking anywhere remotely close to here.

I want to have faith in this project, but it's South Pembina - you need parking. This is the perfect example of why the U of M needs to get going on the old golf course lands.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Looks amazing for the area, as long as they don't cheap out on the glass. Greenish glass would look like trash.

The parking situation is going to be interesting. I feel like their target market here is most likely international students, lots of whom drive. The location is slightly too far to comfortably walk to campus and the walk really sucks in the winter due to a lack of any shelter from the wind. Most buses in the morning are full by this stretch. There's also no on street parking anywhere remotely close to here.

I want to have faith in this project, but it's South Pembina - you need parking. This is the perfect example of why the U of M needs to get going on the old golf course lands.
This is the perfect example of why the U of M should be building mixed-use residential buildings lining chancellor Matheson before sprawling out more on the golf course lands. Create the shelter and protection you mentioned.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is the perfect example of why the U of M should be building mixed-use residential buildings lining chancellor Matheson before sprawling out more on the golf course lands. Create the shelter and protection you mentioned.
I assumed that was already a lost cause due to the huge planning failure that is Smartpark. I would love to see Chancellor Matheson as the "main street" entrance to the university rather than a barren road.

Does anyone know if this developer approached the university for land first? I haven't been following the project very closely.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:26 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Law could theoretically move downtown but you'd still need a fairly substantial new building to house it. And there is something to be said for being part of a larger university community and having easy access to various student services, recreational facilities, etc.
Architecture too is pretty self-sufficient with its courses. In theory, they too could move downtown.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Architecture too is pretty self-sufficient with its courses. In theory, they too could move downtown.
Why move sections of the campus downtown. That’s counter productive. We already have RRC and UofW. I doubt we need to swamp the area with the UofM. . They are already in the HSC. That’s enough. Leave them all at the current site which isn’t in the boonies like you all say anymore. Not everything needs to be downtown.

Smart part was a failure on the part of all the parks lots. The idea was still solid and it helped a financially trouble university put of a rut. But like someone else mentioned. Had they just lined the main drag with all the buildings and had the parking in the back. It would have made all the difference. There are however some really cool buildings in there. My fav is the one that’s like a bridge over the lake.

As for the golf course. I think it’s more of they got a deal and are holding on to valuable land. I think their plans were just that. Plans to keep the public in the loop.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:38 PM
There is always a way

Looks like things are in full swing as I drove by today. Piling rigs and a couple bulldozers hard at work.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 4:56 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

So futuristic looking.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
So futuristic looking.

Looks great! I was stopped at pembina and bison the other day and counted that the condo buildings on the other side of the tracks are less than half of the height this building will reach.

Hopefully this will spur some higher builds down that stretch of pembina. If successful, I wonder if the U of M will fast track their development along Pembina, which is also supposed to be high density residential

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:53 PM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:55 PM

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Mar 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:34 PM

This building will sure be prominent out there. Stick out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This building will sure be prominent out there. Stick out like a sore thumb.
yes it will really detract from the view of the neighbouring checks notes auto body place and subaru dealer

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:37 AM

Yeah, that area is real desolate. I used to live near the Superstore and don't miss it. This will not detract in any way. Pembina's such a traffic sewer. It blights the whole area. Makes it windy as hell, too.

The increased density is a nice improvement since I lived there, but I don't think the area will ever feel nice while there's a 6-lane highway bisecting it, sadly.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:02 PM

Just to be clear. I have no problem with the development at all. Just saying it will be prominent on the skyline. You'll find I'd support developments like this all over the City. Everywhere and anywhere really.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:14 PM

It's a good development but a funny one too because the proximity to the University is rendered somewhat meaningless by the unpleasantness of Chancellor Matheson as a pedestrian corridor. I'm sure a good many of the university students living in the apartments near Superstore probably drive or bus to school, as it's a hike on a -25 day. And as we all know, Pembina is not the most walkable street either.

But hey, I'll take this development. With all the action going on along South Pembina these days, maybe we'll see a gradual urbanization of the area in the same vein as what has happened in a place like Richmond BC, although we obviously won't match the intensity of what is going on there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:31 PM

I guess we can't link in updating construction cam? Also there's a live video feed on the site.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:03 PM

Also a timelapse which is super awesome. Where you can see they've done a ton of piling work already.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:04 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's a good development but a funny one too because the proximity to the University is rendered somewhat meaningless by the unpleasantness of Chancellor Matheson as a pedestrian corridor. I'm sure a good many of the university students living in the apartments near Superstore probably drive or bus to school, as it's a hike on a -25 day. And as we all know, Pembina is not the most walkable street either.

But hey, I'll take this development. With all the action going on along South Pembina these days, maybe we'll see a gradual urbanization of the area in the same vein as what has happened in a place like Richmond BC, although we obviously won't match the intensity of what is going on there.
Funny this how it's described on the website:

Quote:
Construction has begun on The Arc, a new 570 bed mixed-use student housing community, located directly across from the entrance of the University of Manitoba main campus and minutes from class. A walk score rarely gets better than this. The suite style units come complete with contemporary furniture, including a Full XL bed, a kitchen or kitchenette, a desk, electronic keys and high-speed internet. The fully amenitized building fulfills socialization, fitness and functional needs with spacious, quiet and state-of-the art study lounges, dedicated business centre, resort quality gym, and multiple commercial businesses. There will even be a communal kitchen for our larger get-togethers as part of the fulsome lifestyle. Underground parking will be available, or alternatively, convenient access to public transit in all directions. As well, on-site management will be present to help satisfy your needs and your wants. The Arc provides its residents a lifestyle second to none. The Arc is truly student living, reimagined.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan