HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:55 PM

Halifax Urban Greenway

Not sure if you've heard of this before, but I know this is first time I've seen it. I'm not the status on this project. What do you guys think?

The Halifax Urban Greenway

Press Releases

Wikipedia

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:04 PM

A trail down in the railway cut would be a terrible waste of a valuable asset that must sooner or later be used to enhance Halifax's obsolete transportation network. I am unclear whether the plans call for the trail to be in the cut, or at surface.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:52 PM

The plans call for the trail to be on the cut at street level. They want a multi-use trail and where feasible a nature trail. I think they have either proposed or have been approved for a section of the trail near Beaufort Avenue. Ultimately they want a trail connecting Pier 21 area to Fairview.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:57 PM

This article sums it up nicely (it was on their website):

The Coast
Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Happy trails: Mike Fleury likes trailblazers
By Mike Fleury

The Halifax Urban Greenway is quite possibly one of the nicest projects you've never heard of.

Essentially, the Greenway involves two parallel trails—a three-metre-wide trail reserved for cyclists, skateboarders and other non-motorized wheels, and a one-metre-wide walking path—that would follow the edge of the Halifax peninsula. The Urban Greenway would connect Chebucto Road to Point Pleasant Park, but it's designed to link to a much larger multi-use trail system that would encircle the peninsula—picture a trail from the Armdale Rotary circling around to the Harbourfront, and you get the idea.

Following a path cut by CN rail, the Greenway would take advantage of a belt of green space that has been preserved on either side of the rail line, several dozen feet above the tracks.

It's the kind of public trail that Halifax is lacking, and desperately needs. The Greenway concept was first proposed in 2002 and was met with a mostly positive response.

So, why haven't you heard of it? And, more importantly, why isn't such a fantastic project already framing the city? Well, the thing about progress is, it's slow. Over the past five years, the Greenway has been in and out of the news—securing funds, securing land, tweaking the exact route.

Fortunately, this past week, the Greenway received a significant boost—the province and the feds agreed to commit $600,000 towards the project. According to Kevin Conley, an HRM parks manager, that commitment means that at least part of the Greenway will actually be built in the coming year.

"It's not exactly finalized, but this should allow us to build from South Street to near Saint Mary's."

The next major step would be constructing a pedestrian bridge to connect the section of the trail near Saint Mary's University to Pine Hill and then to continue the trail up to Point Pleasant Park and beyond.

Mark Poirier is the president of the Halifax Urban Greenway Association: He's been talking about the Greenway since 2000. After so much talk, finally breaking ground on the trail is an exciting prospect.

"It's long overdue," he says. "For five or six years we were just looking at a vision and some parts were still quite vague. We would say, "Oh, I guess it will connect up with something, but I don't know what.' Now, we're starting to get an idea of how it's going to connect at either end."

The $600,000 does not mean a network of multi-use trails will appear in Halifax overnight—Poirier estimates that the proposed footbridge connecting SMU to Pine Hill will cost $300,000. And as the trail spreads further across the city, the planning gets more ambitious.

"The major challenge in the northern part of the route, for example, is how to get past Quinpool Road," explains Poirier. "There's been work on a concept study on the engineering of how to get underneath Quinpool—that's a bit off yet, but it would be the most expensive trail project in Nova Scotia, however they end up doing it."

If passing underneath Quinpool seems a bit far-fetched, fair enough—but in the meantime, completing any section of the Greenway is a step in the right direction.

"I live on the peninsula, and when we'd go biking as a family, we'd load our bikes into the car and drive out to Musquodoboit Harbour," says Conley. "This trail seems like the right thing."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 6:15 AM

wow... that's pretty progressive. I'm impressed, they aren't even touching the rail lines.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:26 PM

Totally insane idea...

Ok... totally insane and impractical idea that would cost millions of dollars and never happen... but imagine turning the cut into a tunnel (for rail and that truck-only road they want) and then filling it in and turning the whole corridor into parkland / trails / etc.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Ok... totally insane and impractical idea that would cost millions of dollars and never happen... but imagine turning the cut into a tunnel (for rail and that truck-only road they want) and then filling it in and turning the whole corridor into parkland / trails / etc.
I don't think it's insane at all. It's something a progressive city would be considering, something like Boston's Big Dig project. Which means, of course, we have no chance here.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 10:50 PM

Your idea kinda reminds me of the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston. Now that the big dig is done with all the highways underground, they're turning all the newly claimed land into parks. Check out their site.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:03 AM

That would be awesome but unfortunately CN would never agree to it. But if it ever happens they should do the section near Bayers Road first. Having a beautiful pedestrian conection between Bayers Road Terminal and West End Mall/Mumford Terminal would be awesome.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:05 AM

Just a little side thought but this idea would tie beautifully into the third bridge idea. If the proposal with a sidewalk on the bridge is choosen they could continue the walking trail up the covered cut.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:38 AM

Sorry to continue little posts like this but... imagine this;

You leave Old Sackville Road (the current beginning for the Sackville Trail) and head south through DND lands into Bedford. You then pass the Ball Field, and cross the river onto mall parking. You head along a narrow trail adjacent to the river and head south into Fish Hatchery Park. You turn right onto Shore Drive and walk this peaceful road past Lions park and the Yacht Club and end up on the waterfront trail. You walk through DeWolfe Park around Mill Cove, the ferry terminal and head down the basin trail. You follow this down onto the Greenway at Fairview. At the end of Greenway you turn left onto the Pier trail and follow the boardwalk up. You hop onto the HarbourLink and within 20 minutes are back in Bedford.

Of course this would be ideal but would be costly and take a long time to create. But many parts of this trail exists already (boardwalk, and from Dewolfe to Sackville) and many of this are in the plans (Greenway and Basin trail).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:01 PM

I'm glad people like my "crazy" idea... although I'm sure I'm probably not the first one to think of it... and ya... it is kind of "pie in the sky". Then again, a third bridge is a pretty big / crazy idea too. The Big Dig analogy came to my mind as well. It's so nice what they've done there. And that new cable stayed bridge at the end of the tunnel is just beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 12:07 AM

For anyone unfamiliar with the look of the railcut here's a Google Earth picture of the phase starting construction soon (hopefully):

(Source: Google Earth) The street above the rail-line is Beaufort Avenue. The fist phase would see the construction of the section between the two ends of the picture (South Street - Roxton Road).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 3:03 PM

The more I read about this project the more I get excited about it. It seems if you want something done in this city, you have to do it semi unnoticed. I haven't seen much publication wise save for in thecoast, and online.

Is there any possibility of this being able to connect to Seaview Park?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 12:56 AM

A connection to Seaview isn't in their master plan. Ultimately they want to be the urban Halifax trail for the Trans Canada Trail (connecting Waterfront to Chester Spur);

(Source: http://www.halifaxurbangreenway.org/..._peninsula.JPG)
A connection to Seaview would be awesome though. It could connect to the proposed Bedford Basin trail as well.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:55 AM

I think once they're done the Beaufort Avenue section a trail from West End Mall/ Mumford Terminal up to The Village and St. Andrew's Community Centre would be a great place to connect. There is plenty of green space next to the cut and this would connect to three malls, two transit terminals and a community centre.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:47 AM

For anyone interested in this project:

Disitrict 13 residents are invited to join Councillor Sue Uteck and representatives of HRM at a public meeting
next week to discuss the Beaufort Regional Trail in southend Halifax.

When: Monday, May 5, 2008
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Where: Halifax Hall, Halifax City Hall, 1841 Argyle St.

Members of the Halifax Urban Greenway Association will also be in attendance.

--30--

Sue Uteck, Councillor
District 13 - Northwest Arm - South End
221-7651

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 11:22 AM

The idea has been around for a long time now.

If and when it is completed it could be an attractive and unique link for that area of the city.

Unfortunatelty, completed on it's own it won't make much of a difference for AT users excepting university traffic and the price to get this particular link completed is huge in comparison to others. Even for the universities, not many people live off the penninsula in that area so impact would probably be minimal.

If there are joining links developed at roughly the same time that would connect into the core, west end, shopping destinations, employment, etc then we would have something.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 11:37 PM

I did some reading on the project earlier and realised there are two conflicts with proposed roadways. Both are basically a Robie Street Connection (for truckway and third bridge). The Province seems determined to destroy the forest around SMU an build a road through there. Of course there are reasons for the greenway to go through there not a road (beauty, access, connections for greenway, effect on neighbourhood, ect). Unfortuantely the province probably has more say then local residents and HRM over what happens to Robie Street.

I emailed one of the representitives for HUGA and this is what he said about a start date:

"HRM has to issue a tender call. Then the proposals from contractors have to be reviewed and ranked and one contractor selected to do the work. Then Council has to approve the contract to be signed. Then construction can begin.

How the report to Council on the petition relates to the timing, I don't know. I would expect that it's not relevant.

How long will this take ? I assume they have to give contractors two weeks or so to respond, a week to review and decide, a week for Council to approve - I'm guessing here..

So, by the end of May ? I'l have to ask staff, but I'm away for the rest of the week.

Mark Poirier, HUGA"

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 4:56 AM

Has anyone heard anything on this lately? That email posted above says the end of May but its now November and no work has begun to my knowledge. Their website hasn't been updated since May.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues