HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:53 AM
BANNED

The lots don't look nearly big enough compared to the rendering to build towers 3 and 4...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 8:12 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Taken today:
That's a nice shot. This building is really coming along nicely.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:51 PM

01/19/08
View to the northwest from 34th and King Drive.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 4:20 PM
Insert Cheesy Slogan Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic View Post
incredibly goofy maybe.
I wish the towers worked together a little better and showed as more of a "wall" than 4 individual buildings.
I would hope that as the area south of these buildings fills in, that it will give more of a solid "wall" effect.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 5:12 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic View Post
incredibly goofy maybe.
I wish the towers worked together a little better and showed as more of a "wall" than 4 individual buildings.

I feel the same way. This building is incredible but it looks like several building in one to me too.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:52 PM

From Ashland/Lake transfer bridge 01-20-2008

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 11:05 PM

Don't like it. Way too much going on. Just like Dubai 'scrapers. This is a miss for Chicago but height is height...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

I understand what's trying to be said about the desire for a 'solid' wall. Though with buildings of this height, conjoining the neighboring structures may actually create an unpleasant physically massive and visually overwhelming superstructure, especially w/ minimalist glass sheathed modern architecture. It seems the ideal conjoined streetwall height is what you see already have on Michigan Avenue and in many places throughout Manhattan—that of buildings in the ~200-400ft range w/ varying styles (but in many cases masonry) and materials. It just may be that the modern glass residential high-rise isn't the best fit for the goal of a literal solid wall of buildings.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 11:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I understand what's trying to be said about the desire for a 'solid' wall. Though with buildings of this height, conjoining the neighboring structures may actually create an unpleasant physically massive and visually overwhelming superstructure, especially w/ minimalist glass sheathed modern architecture. It seems the ideal conjoined streetwall height is what you see already have on Michigan Avenue and in many places throughout Manhattan—that of buildings in the ~200-400ft range w/ varying styles (but in many cases masonry) and materials. It just may be that the modern glass residential high-rise isn't the best fit for the goal of a literal solid wall of buildings.
^ Actually though, the 'south wall' of Grant Park will form a conjoined streetwall at a much lower height (6-8 stories or somewhere around there). So from the viewpoint of a pedestrian looking up, he will see a pretty tall & impressive wall of glass and steel (of 4 different styles) along Roosevelt. But since the buildings are separated above that, light will still be able to stream in.

I guess we can only judge the effect when it's all built, but I'm guessing the "too much like Dubai" argument is probably going to hold true. Is that necessarily a bad thing, though? Chicago is a city that has grown through phases and fads, and perhaps it will have its 'Dubai-esque' fad woven into the urban fabric.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 4:19 PM

good updates

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Right... I think the point some were making (myself included) was that it would have been better to have ~300-400 foot buildings as a sold wall along the south end of the park and along LSD south to McCormick Place (instead of those waste of space townhomes). Then by all means build this tower and other very tall towers as the "second level", much like the buildings that tower behind the Michigan Avenue streetwall or the Central Park South streetwall here in New York. The classic view of the Hancock Center is another example... it's behind the Drake hotel and Palmolive building, which looks MUCH, MUCH better than if the Hancock Center were on Lake Shore Drive across from Oak Street beach.

It would have been better for the south end of Grant Park to be modeled after the west side of the park or the edges of Central Park, rather than after the north end of Grant Park. I don't like supertalls right next to the park, and would much rather have Aon, etc one block back behind a line of shorter buildings as well.

Basically, this is a decent looking building but it doesn't belong on Roosevelt Road, it belongs at 13th and Indiana. And the taller building being planned belongs at 13th and Michigan.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Right... I think the point some were making (myself included) was that it would have been better to have ~300-400 foot buildings as a sold wall along the south end of the park and along LSD south to McCormick Place (instead of those waste of space townhomes). Then by all means build this tower and other very tall towers as the "second level", much like the buildings that tower behind the Michigan Avenue streetwall or the Central Park South streetwall here in New York. The classic view of the Hancock Center is another example... it's behind the Drake hotel and Palmolive building, which looks MUCH, MUCH better than if the Hancock Center were on Lake Shore Drive across from Oak Street beach.

It would have been better for the south end of Grant Park to be modeled after the west side of the park or the edges of Central Park, rather than after the north end of Grant Park. I don't like supertalls right next to the park, and would much rather have Aon, etc one block back behind a line of shorter buildings as well.

Basically, this is a decent looking building but it doesn't belong on Roosevelt Road, it belongs at 13th and Indiana. And the taller building being planned belongs at 13th and Michigan.

Too late now

Quote:
I guess we can only judge the effect when it's all built, but I'm guessing the "too much like Dubai" argument is probably going to hold true. Is that necessarily a bad thing, though? Chicago is a city that has grown through phases and fads, and perhaps it will have its 'Dubai-esque' fad woven into the urban fabric.
If that's the case, then less is more. who wants to be that gaudy?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I agree with most of what you say, but I could not disagree with you more that Aon would look better a block back from the park. I love how "BLAM!" Aon is being right on the park and a very bright (whitish) color. I think suck a powerful monolyth as Aon fits perfectly with a whole side exposed.

However with a building like Hancock, since it tapers and has pointy antennae on top, it is much more important to build up to a tip. The same goes for Sears which gradually disintegrates to the Antennae.

Hopefully we'll get this steeped effect by someone else tearing something down south of the Museum Park towers and building a huge ass building, like 2000'...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 1:01 AM

kblank89/Flickr

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:19 AM
Urban planning nerd

........choking........WOW!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:15 AM

^^^Very nice photo.

A night view.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:23 AM
Registered

I think she's blushing from all of the attention.

From the west, 01.21.08.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:43 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2020 View Post

kblank89/Flickr
WOW, thats all i can really say...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:17 PM

Talking What happened to Trump thread?

I haven't been here for a while and the Trump thread is gone?
What's the deal, guys?

BTW, I agree with one poster who said that OMP looks like mulyiple buildings put together.
I don't like it either.

Hope OMP West will be different.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:54 PM
Registered

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive