HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:43 AM

Just realized what could possibly be moving into the former Sport Chek On McPhillips, Young’s Market. They do have a small and lot that is too small and did previously consider the former Maples IGA so it could be a possibility.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Thought they closed last week or something, when everyone was posting the manikin graveyard photos.

I think all the stock was transferred to Kildonan Place. Still quite a bit of stuff in that store. I was there last night and overheard a gentleman say to his kid "oh look here's all the stock".
Sears Polo Park Stock divided and sent to St Vital as well as Kildonan Place.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:59 AM

CF must have a tenant or plan that they want to get in immediately.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:47 PM

I am not sure if CF has something lined up for Sears Polo Park. They might have opted for the early exit before the full on bankruptcy in lieu of payment for rent due. Also taking control of the lease gives them much greater control than if it had gone to bankruptcy, ie someone could have bought out Sears as a going concern and gained control over the lease.

--

In terms of future retail tracking came across info from Calgary earlier in the week:

Nordstorms Rack is in the 30,000 sq ft range
Ethan Allen is opening stores in Canada just under the 10,000 sq ft mark.

--

In terms of the speculation on Young's having looked at Maples IGA, I would classify that as a rumor at best. That info seemed to be coming from employees working at IGA that witnessed a group of people touring the store looking to open an Asian grocery store. It easily could have been the Lucky's group as it could have been Young's.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:27 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Prior to yesterday (Tues.) I had not visited the big box stores inAs siniboia near the Perim. Hwy. That's like 22 years in time.

So yesterday I rode the 24 Ness Express bus to the end of the line.

I see there's a Mark's store close to the transit terminal. But, wait a minute! There is no entrance on the transit side. I had to walk around the building to get inside.

Next I stopped in Winners. Bigger and nicer than the GP location. But $100 for a Tommy brand scarf with a $34 toque... doesn't make Winners a "discount store".

Last stop was the Wal*Mart. I went in for a grocery item. What a mad house it was, similar to St. Vital Centre Wal*Mart.

I wish St. Vital had a Winners.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Last stop was the Wal*Mart. I went in for a grocery item. What a mad house it was, similar to St. Vital Centre Wal*Mart.

As of Feb 1st Wal-Mart has changed it's legal name to Walmart, no more hyphen.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:55 AM

Well FreshCo Is Coming To Winnipeg http://http://business.financialpost...western-canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Prior to yesterday (Tues.) I had not visited the big box stores inAs siniboia near the Perim. Hwy. That's like 22 years in time.

So yesterday I rode the 24 Ness Express bus to the end of the line.

I see there's a Mark's store close to the transit terminal. But, wait a minute! There is no entrance on the transit side. I had to walk around the building to get inside.

Next I stopped in Winners. Bigger and nicer than the GP location. But $100 for a Tommy brand scarf with a $34 toque... doesn't make Winners a "discount store".

winners isn't a discount store, never really has been, its brands for less, for lazy shoppers, if you know your brands and your prices you can often find them elsewhere for cheaper and you gotta pay attention to the items, for example you can find walmart merchandise at winners and it costs more than it did when walmart put it on clearance. Lately i've noticed quite a lot of gap clothing at winners priced more than when the gap had it on clearance.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post

Anyone have any suggestions which locations might get the switch?

I'd hazard to guess the Safeway on Mountain/McGregor for one. The Safeway on Jefferson could be another one, given its nearby competition of Superstore and Save-On Foods, it'd want something to make that location stand out again. Maybe the one on Sargent also, although that could be tricky with No Frills close by, they'd be alienating the customers who already preferred Safeway to No Frills.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
The link above isn't working for me, but here is another story about this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3914614/s...estern-canada/

The Global story says 25% of Sobeys/Safeway will convert. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:43 PM

I'm surprised that this hasn't happened already... you'd think a discount brand would work well here, and would provide a bit of differentiation given that the city is saturated in Safeway and Sobeys stores. I think converting 4 or 5 current locations (especially the smaller stores, or areas where you have a Safeway and Sobeys close together) to FreshCo would be a good move.

I've only visited one FreshCo in Southern Ontario before, but I was impressed... it felt fairly nice for a discount store, a bit of a step up from Price Chopper or No Frills.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:29 PM

Well I finally know what is going in the former Sportschek on McPhillips, a car dealership of all things.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
The link above isn't working for me, but here is another story about this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3914614/s...estern-canada/

The Global story says 25% of Sobeys/Safeway will convert. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in Winnipeg.
http://business.financialpost.com/ne...western-canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
winners isn't a discount store, never really has been, its brands for less, for lazy shoppers.
Sounds discounty to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Well I finally know what is going in the former Sportschek on McPhillips, a car dealership of all things.
Well that's an odd fit... is the Lada dealership on Main Street relocating?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:36 PM

That the FreshCo move was announced today was a surprise but that the plan is convert, likely the Safeway brand, into a discount banner isn't overall a surprise.

In terms of locations, look anywhere Safeway and Sobey's exist more or less across the street from each other. Chances are that Safeway is on the list to become a FreshCo. That said ones like the Sargent or Jefferson location where there isn't another Empire brand nearby are likely to stay as the top tier brand. This move doesn't seem to be so much about competing v other stores but rather doing some much needed brand differentiation.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of locations, look anywhere Safeway and Sobey's exist more or less across the street from each other. Chances are that Safeway is on the list to become a FreshCo. That said ones like the Sargent or Jefferson location where there isn't another Empire brand nearby are likely to stay as the top tier brand. This move doesn't seem to be so much about competing v other stores but rather doing some much needed brand differentiation.
Yeah, I was thinking FreshCo conversions would make sense in situations like Kenaston near McGillivray where you have Safeway and Sobeys a stone's throw from each other. Or Portage West where you have both brands like 1 km apart. Or the smaller locations like the Safeway on South Osborne which probably don't make sense as full-line, full service stores anymore.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:45 PM

Maybe they will reopen the former Sobeys on Keewatin?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

At Rendeers and Panet they are right next door to each other.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Sounds discounty to me

Well that's an odd fit... is the Lada dealership on Main Street relocating?
I don't even know if the Lada dealership even exists anymore, though I do remember it. It's Auto something, they have a banner up.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I don't even know if the Lada dealership even exists anymore, though I do remember it. It's Auto something, they have a banner up.
Was that the one in Middlechurch just past the Perimeter? I think it started doing marine stuff if that's the place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan