HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:04 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I would take a 50 story skyscraper here in Salt Lake even if its a bit off to the side.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:08 PM

I was involved in the design and coordination of the water features for the devon energy tower. That building really does dwarf every other building in OKC. It has 58 floors and stands a proud 800' tall. The next highest in OKC is about 450'.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:35 AM
Dare Mighty Things

The Design Review Committee meeting minutes from 5/9 were posted yesterday. If you've got nothing to do and are really hungry for details on this tower, it's kind of an interesting read. There's a lot of explanation for recent changes and some fun comments in there.

Regarding lighting:

Quote:
T.J. WINGER (Associate Architect): ...One of the nice things that you’re going to see that is not shown here that will be a identifying element for the building is each one of these architectural fins that you see will have a recessed continuous LED light so it will be a nice landmark item at night. We wanted that to be able to emphasize and continue up to the top of the building and be a defining piece. It is a low voltage LED light and it will be a nice subtle light that will help set that corner off and bring a lot of people to the 8th Street experience.
I thought this was an interesting comment regarding the Hampton Inn:

Quote:
COMMITTEE MEMBER ZABALA: When I first read this I had a certain amount of anxiety as we do on these projects because usually we’ll approve something and as time goes on what you get is a Hampton Inn. I came with a little trepidation, but after hearing the explanation and looking through this the project remains true to what our intent was and as we say the gremlins that pop-up occur in the natural course of things. Mechanical engineers love to do things to your penthouses and other things like that. I don’t have any concerns. The project appears to be moving along very well with the changes here and the quality of materials and the form.
And finally:

Quote:
COMMITTEE MEMBER ZABALA MOVED TO APPROVE THE MODIFICATIONS OF THE 50 PERCENT DESIGN AS PROPOSED BY THE APPLICANT FOR APPLICATION DRH11-00240 / 8TH & MAIN STREET AS PROPOSED IN STAFF’S REVIEW. COMMITTEE MEMBER MARSH SECONDED THE MOTION. ROLL CALL 4:0. MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111334281420

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Ooh!!! New renderings!! Shiny renderings! I like shiny! And.... what's this? New tallest? New tallest!!

They did us nerds the courtesy of adding one more floor so it is now 17 floors and 270' to the top of the parapet, and 315' to the top of the spire.

Elevations:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111328328740

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111328526120

Perspectives:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111329220750

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111329097170

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:09 AM

Excellent find BoiseAirport! It's amazing what a little bit of glass can do to the skyline.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Ooh!!! New renderings!! Shiny renderings! I like shiny! And.... what's this? New tallest? New tallest!!

They did us nerds the courtesy of adding one more floor so it is now 17 floors and 270' to the top of the parapet, and 315' to the top of the spire.

Whoooohooooo!!! I'm opening a beer in celebration! Not that I needed much of a reason, but this is good news.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:39 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Man, once the new convention center plus whatever new hotel accompanies it is built, the old convention center lot will just be BEGGING for a beautiful, signature high rise that'll be the new pinnacle of downtown!

Imagine something like this, but on a smaller scale, say, 25-30 floors (I would see it as more soft tealish green glass so it's like an impressionistic sculpture of the Boise River):

Plus a new indoor structure for the Capital City Public Market at the base... Oh, just the thought! Just the thought!!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Man, once the new convention center plus whatever new hotel accompanies it is built, the old convention center lot will just be BEGGING for a beautiful, signature high rise that'll be the new pinnacle of downtown!

Imagine something like this, but on a smaller scale, say, 25-30 floors (I would see it as more soft tealish green glass so it's like an impressionistic sculpture of the Boise River):

Plus a new indoor structure for the Capital City Public Market at the base... Oh, just the thought! Just the thought!!!!
I think the convention center could fit more than just one high-rise. In my perfect world, I want to see the Grove have at least three more towers built on it.

I imagine there would be drama with the Aspen residents...

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 5:00 AM

Quote:

Are my eyes just that tired or is the elevations reading 370' to the top of the parapet and 415' to the top of the spire?

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 5:29 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
Are my eyes just that tired or is the elevations reading 370' to the top of the parapet and 415' to the top of the spire?
Your eyes are not deceiving you.

However...the elevations show the ground level being at 100'. What's up with that???

Is this building going to have a 100' deep basement?

Regardless, it looks like Boise will indeed finally be getting a new tallest!!! Albeit, not by much. But a new tallest nevertheless.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 6:21 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

This is going to be an awesome and long overdue addition to our skyline.

Hopefully, this latest rendering is the final rendering (unless, of course, they decide to make it taller ).

Now all we need to do is get this built to bring balance to the view down Capital Blvd:

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:04 PM

Quote:

Hey, we finally get a building that blends in with Bogus Basin instead of the foothills.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post

Now all we need to do is get this built to bring balance to the view down Capital Blvd:

I couldn't agree more! Our skyline seems so lopsided to the Capitol building. Would be nice to see some continuity. I don't want to sound like I want to diminish our center piece, but that is just that, it needs to be centered.

Plus that proposed building is a beauty imo.

Annnnnnywaaaaaays, love the new rendering. That is going to be a MUCH welcomed tower to our skyline. It makes you definitely realize how much brown we truly do have in our skyline. And man, I cannot stand the Grove Hotel. How did they let that one slip through the cracks?

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
Your eyes are not deceiving you.

However...the elevations show the ground level being at 100'. What's up with that???

Is this building going to have a 100' deep basement?

Regardless, it looks like Boise will indeed finally be getting a new tallest!!! Albeit, not by much. But a new tallest nevertheless.

The " 100' elevation " for the ground is a typical architectural/construction practice on building plans. Anything under "elevation 100' " is considered below ground.
This will be a great addition to city, and a building that isn't brown!

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 10:46 PM

For a building so beautiful from the front, the Aspen sure is ugly from the back.... Who signed off on that??

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by isangpogi View Post
For a building so beautiful from the front, the Aspen sure is ugly from the back.... Who signed off on that??
I'll say it... I think we would have a more beautiful and satisfying skyline if the Grove, Aspen, and Hampton Inn had all not been built. The height and density they add does not compensate for their sheer ugliness, especially the Grove which has absolutely miserable street level interaction. True, the Aspen is stunning on its north face, but if I had a choice, I would've chosen C-Squared or even the Capital Terrace Apartments and Metropolitan to be built instead. The south side is as ugly to me as the Grove is from Americana, and what makes it especially bad is that it blocks the view of the beautiful Wells Fargo building from nearly every vantage point. While I loved the Aspen when it was first proposed, since it's been built I've some to strongly dislike it and I now wish something else had been built on a different lot instead.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The Aspen does have a lot to be desired when you view the back side from the Depot area during the day, but at night when the backside is all lit up along the balconies it actually looks nice and reminds me of a computer chip. I have some night photos showing this and I will be posting some soon when I have my city photo thread up. COBE also has some great lighting.

I love the street presence the front side of the Aspen has and I think it adds a lot of class to the skyline when walking around downtown and plus the glass captures the deep blue sky and is great for photos. Just think when the Zions tower is built how sweet the views will be between it and The Aspen's glass front side. Seems to me that the Zions building will detract from The Aspen's backside, at least during the day.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 11:47 PM

Ya, the Aspen is a two-faced building, literally. It's too bad they couldn't have made it glass on both sides. Who needs a patio?

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I forgot to add in my previous comment that even though The Aspen is meh from the Depot it is beautiful when seen from the Foothills and Camels Back with the Owyhees in the background
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:

Elevations:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111328328740

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111328526120

Perspectives:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111329220750

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05111329097170

Do you think it is safe to assume this is the official height or is it still subject to change?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West