HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 6:14 AM

now that's a thing of beauty to see!!!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:56 PM

I saw construction crews going in and doing some work on the old red-painted building on King between the Dynasty Builidng and the former Shanghai site. It’s 22- King, actually can’t figure out the real address.

Also Was just reading about the Peck Building. It has Grade II heritage designation.... you’d think that’d allow the city to intervene on something happening or forcing the sale if it doesn’t.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The new bike lanes aren't the issue at all – the issue was the construction that took the entire summer and was done on every street all at once. In retrospect they should have done it in stages.

The grid has only been open for about a week, so to say that's the issue is irresponsible. There's actually significantly more parking now than ever before due to numerous streets being converted to angled parking (and 3 more coming next year). The businesses could let people know, maybe the city can put up new signage directing people to parking zones. I had a client come in from outside the city last week and tell me how amazing and easy to find parking it is now that there's 3-4x the amount of parking spots on Bannatyne and McDermot off Rorie.

The owner of Across the Board was quoted complaining in the WFP about the disappearance of the loading zone beside his business. That was during construction when the street was down to one lane. They lost 2 spots on the right side, and more loading was moved to the other side. It's never full. The entire right side used to be loading but was switched to parking a few years ago. Again, nothing to do with the bike lane.

It's just enough case of the classic Winnipeg paradigm: "Fix our roads/there's too much construction" – it's just the first time bike lanes have been in the mix, so people are up in arms.
Part of this, of course, is the way the issue is presented in the media. Whenever there is a road closure there is always, and I mean ALWAYS, a story in the F.P. or Sun featuring a business owner saying it will be disastrous for their business. I don't doubt the owners, but I always suspect the writers fish for the quotes that will make their story eye-catching (e.g. "How disastrous is this for your business?"). You will never see a headline that reads "Road Closures Inconvenient But Manageable; say Businesses".

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Part of this, of course, is the way the issue is presented in the media. Whenever there is a road closure there is always, and I mean ALWAYS, a story in the F.P. or Sun featuring a business owner saying it will be disastrous for their business. I don't doubt the owners, but I always suspect the writers fish for the quotes that will make their story eye-catching (e.g. "How disastrous is this for your business?"). You will never see a headline that reads "Road Closures Inconvenient But Manageable; say Businesses".
Ha, so true. I guess there isn't much incentive for the media to frame it that way. It's always THE END OF THE WORLD when a couple lanes get blocked for construction.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:45 AM

re: the harbour light bldg, on my way home tonight some of the boarding on the windows has come off and there's a new camera in the alley between it and my building. we now have to shut the blinds in one of our bathrooms

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:17 PM

That Warehouse 1885 might be my favourite midsize project right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ But what was the premium they paid for all that foot traffic? It could just be they did the math and decided it wasn't worth it.
As evidenced by their stance against casual shoppers, perhaps this is where their business naivety kicked in... you're in the forks, tons of foot traffic, best skatepark (combined with YFC) for probably hundreds or thousands of kilometres at your doorstep, a cool location... figure it out. Sure rent is higher but too much is right about this location to screw it up.

It's like being given a very basic equation and told to solve for "x" (1+x=3) and they're all "... don't wanna..."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:20 PM
What could go wrong?

x=2 right?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
That Warehouse 1885 might be my favourite midsize project right now

As evidenced by their stance against casual shoppers, perhaps this is where their business naivety kicked in... you're in the forks, tons of foot traffic, best skatepark (combined with YFC) for probably hundreds or thousands of kilometres at your doorstep, a cool location... figure it out. Sure rent is higher but too much is right about this location to screw it up.

It's like being given a very basic equation and told to solve for "x" (1+x=3) and they're all "... don't wanna..."
Sk8 has moved locations four times since 2000. This will be their fifth move. From Corydon, to Pembina Highway, then to a different Corydon location, then to the Forks. Seems a little erratic to me ("we need free parking on Pembina... nevermind we need to have Corydon's walk-by traffic again... oh look a skatepark at the Forks...") but the business has been around since 1987, so I trust they ultimately know what they're doing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:38 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
x=2 right?
No marks unless you show your work.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
x=2 right?
I think I'm the only person who appreciates your humour around here.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Thanks Cheswick...it's been a long time since I have had to do that kind on math, just checking to see if I've still got it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Sk8 has moved locations four times since 2000. This will be their fifth move. From Corydon, to Pembina Highway, then to a different Corydon location, then to the Forks. Seems a little erratic to me ("we need free parking on Pembina... nevermind we need to have Corydon's walk-by traffic again... oh look a skatepark at the Forks...") but the business has been around since 1987, so I trust they ultimately know what they're doing.
They moved from Pembina right to The Forks. There was no second stint on Corydon... perhaps you're confusing it with Green Apple, which is still there?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
They moved from Pembina right to The Forks. There was no second stint on Corydon... perhaps you're confusing it with Green Apple, which is still there?
Ah, okay I'm sure you're right. The 2000s were a bit of a blur for me.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:20 PM

Kind of just outside the Exchange, but Harlequin/Malabar on Hargrave has ripped off all the stucco on their building. It appears like they're restoring the original red brick facade.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Kind of just outside the Exchange, but Harlequin/Malabar on Hargrave has ripped off all the stucco on their building. It appears like they're restoring the original red brick facade.

harlequindancestoreHarlequin downtown is open regular business hours during our major renovation on the front of our building!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn7Du8Hn...quindancestore

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:34 PM

^ Fantastic... The stucco made the building look pretty shabby. Exposing the brick underneath will be a major improvement.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:08 PM

Now we just need the African cultural centre to resurface!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:55 AM

Our Own Health Centre at 286 McDermot Avenue will be closing in the new year, the doctor is retiring and they cant find a replacement, they may continue offering some of their speciality services but will move those to a less expensive location.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Fantastic... The stucco made the building look pretty shabby. Exposing the brick underneath will be a major improvement.
Agreed. Why do people do this crap to begin with?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:26 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Agreed. Why do people do this crap to begin with?
Fashions change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan