HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:05 AM

global was also doing an olympics special tonight

i wonder what they did

did anyone watch that newscast?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^^^That's what I thought.
My experience with HKers are that they are polite to a fault. They rival the Japanese for overall manners. I guess I look back on the Taiwanese with rose coloured glasses after living in China. My memories of the Taiwanese people are very very positive. Friendliest country I've ever visited/lived in.
Hongers are pretty polite by Chinese standards, but not so much when you're trying to cross a street and a taxi or light public bus driver nearly hits you (i was shocked to see a government advertisement that read "Every year, 10,000 people are hit by cars in Hong Kong) ....or when you're eating at a restaurant, you have to pay an additional fee to use their washroom.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Hongers are pretty polite by Chinese standards, but not so much when you're trying to cross a street and a taxi or light public bus driver nearly hits you (i was shocked to see a government advertisement that read "Every year, 10,000 people are hit by cars in Hong Kong) ....or when you're eating at a restaurant, you have to pay an additional fee to use their washroom.
That does seem wrong. In Japan, it's becoming more usual for there to be a normal washroom and a "private special VIP washroom" which you pay $2 to use.

Usually not in restaurants, but in government buildings. I'm always the sucker who pays the $2.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I wish it was only me that thought or noticed this. Canadians have a terrible reputation in Taiwan as loud, drunk and rude..
We are mostly talking about ESL teachers right? They are hardly representative of Canadian society. That would be like judging all Japanese by the language students from there that are living in Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
We are mostly talking about ESL teachers right? They are hardly representative of Canadian society. That would be like judging all Japanese by the language students from there that are living in Vancouver.
They are a particularly rowdy bunch aren't they. With their green tea beer bongs, and library studying...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
They are a particularly rowdy bunch aren't they. With their green tea beer bongs, and library studying...
It's got nothing to do with them being "rowdy" or not. I find most Japanese to be exceptionally polite in Japan. These students, when away from home, behave differently. However, I don't believe they are representative of your typical Japanese. Neither are the Canadian ESL teachers in Taiwan or wherever.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion