HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Are they really going to demolish the 2nd bridge? if so.. why?

I like the connectivity.. looks kinda cool too.
If you're the Rideau Centre, you'd rather have a rent-paying retail space against the wall of your building, rather than paying to heat and light a walkway that carries people with money out of your mall and into someone else's store, and its cheaper to get rid of one than to renovate 2. Also, while the walkways are nice in Winter, it literally takes 30 seconds to pop outside and get to The Bay.

Also, in my opinion, they are imposing and ruin the sightlines of Rideau St, especially looking West toward the nicer buildings on Wellington.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
If you're the Rideau Centre, you'd rather have a rent-paying retail space against the wall of your building, rather than paying to heat and light a walkway that carries people with money out of your mall and into someone else's store, and its cheaper to get rid of one than to renovate 2. Also, while the walkways are nice in Winter, it literally takes 30 seconds to pop outside and get to The Bay.

Also, in my opinion, they are imposing and ruin the sightlines of Rideau St, especially looking West toward the nicer buildings on Wellington.
I think it is more the second reason. There are significant commercial advantages to being connected to an anchor store like the Bay. Don't forget that the bridges carry people from the Bay as well as to the Bay.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:27 PM

Plus the west bridge is kind of useless. It connects to an an isolated area of the Bay, whereas the east bridge connects to the bay's main entrance area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:48 AM

Thumbs down West End Pedestrian bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Plus the west bridge is kind of useless. It connects to an an isolated area of the Bay, whereas the east bridge connects to the bay's main entrance area.
I barely used the West end bridge. I use to walk by this bridge with my mother, if she wanted to buy clothes at the Bay. This West end bridge was just an eye sore.

loga0082

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I think it is more the second reason. There are significant commercial advantages to being connected to an anchor store like the Bay. Don't forget that the bridges carry people from the Bay as well as to the Bay.
The Rideau Centre has a MUCH higher number of shoppers than The Bay.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
The Rideau Centre has a MUCH higher number of shoppers than The Bay.
To all intents and purposes, the Rideau Centre and the Bay function as a single shopping centre.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:43 PM

The Bay
Silvia Logan
April 15 2015

Isn't the Bay part of the Rideau Centre? I assume what they sell at the Bay cannot be too much different in what they sell in the other shops at the Rideau Centre. They are making renovations at the Bay too.

Loga0082

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
To all intents and purposes, the Rideau Centre and the Bay function as a single shopping centre.
We're not discussing perception, we're discussing cold hard facts on why the Rideau Centre is tearing down a walkway. Its all about money. Go to their website. There is NO mention of Hudson Bay, though there IS mention of everything else the mall has a direct connection to (Westin, Shaw Centre, future LRT). Rideau owns the walkways, Rideau doesn't have any stake in The Bay, and they are not inclined to care about The Bay. Its all about keeping those dollars in the mall.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
We're not discussing perception, we're discussing cold hard facts on why the Rideau Centre is tearing down a walkway. Its all about money. Go to their website. There is NO mention of Hudson Bay, though there IS mention of everything else the mall has a direct connection to (Westin, Shaw Centre, future LRT). Rideau owns the walkways, Rideau doesn't have any stake in The Bay, and they are not inclined to care about The Bay. Its all about keeping those dollars in the mall.
That's fine from the Rideau Mall owners point of view.
From a downtown Ottawa point of view, having direct indoor connections between Rideau Centre and Byward Markey George Street would have been nice for everybody.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 2:47 PM
Busy Beaver

Successful mall design is all about dynamic traffic flow between anchors. Without strong magnets in the corners, the adjacent spaces become stagnant and less visible. For example, before Old Navy came to the northeastern corner of the second floor it held nothing but a string of unsuccessful stores. Without the bridges, there would be less reason to go up to the Rideau Street side of the third floor.

I think it's the LRT entrance on the northwestern corner that is making the west bridge unnecessary, since it will be a major source of foot traffic. If HBC was smart, they should negotiate LRT access to and from its basement level at the Freeman entrance.

With the number of buses on the Mackenzie-King bridge set to decline after the opening of the LRT, it was also good strategy to relocate the food court to the opposite end of the mall to get people moving around.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
That's fine from the Rideau Mall owners point of view.
From a downtown Ottawa point of view, having direct indoor connections between Rideau Centre and Byward Markey George Street would have been nice for everybody.
We do have one. Only one of the two bridges (the useless one) is being torn down, the useful one to the east is being kept.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 3:13 PM

Taking down the west one will also open up nice sightlines to Chateau Laurier and Parliament I think... It's a good decision

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with perception. As Kitchissippi mentions, the Bay functions as an anchor for the Rideau Centre, and drives traffic flow in the mall. The Rideau Centre is a bigger shopping destination because of the connection to the Bay, and will be even more so with a renovated Bay. If the it didn't have a financial interest in connecting to the Bay, the bridges never would have been built in the first place, nor would the Rideau Centre be keeping the other bridge. They have just decided that they don't need two.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Successful mall design is all about dynamic traffic flow between anchors. Without strong magnets in the corners, the adjacent spaces become stagnant and less visible. For example, before Old Navy came to the northeastern corner of the second floor it held nothing but a string of unsuccessful stores. Without the bridges, there would be less reason to go up to the Rideau Street side of the third floor.

I think it's the LRT entrance on the northwestern corner that is making the west bridge unnecessary, since it will be a major source of foot traffic. If HBC was smart, they should negotiate LRT access to and from its basement level at the Freeman entrance.

With the number of buses on the Mackenzie-King bridge set to decline after the opening of the LRT, it was also good strategy to relocate the food court to the opposite end of the mall to get people moving around.
Never thought about this before, but you're right. Cadillac Fairview probably deliberately set up the mall to have the Food Court and major anchor Nordstorm at the south side of the Mall so that they can keep drawing people down that way after the Mac Bridge is no longer the transit hub.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 7:47 PM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

The Bay is by no means affiliated with the Rideau Centre. All they do is share the sky-bridges which they both pay for. Rideau Centre gift cards are also not accepted at The Bay for that reason. They operate on their own across the street just like when the mall first opened and Ogilvy's was connected to the mall by an annex, yet they also remained "separate" except by means of convenience. Them being connected just eases the flow, but they can do whatever they want without having to answer to the Rideau Centre. Their renovating because it was time. They haven't done many changes since Friemans was then the next big "upgrade" after was expanding the complex about 10 years later when they filled in Frieman Street and built the sky-bridges and the big complex behind Kresges and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loga0082 View Post
The Bay
Silvia Logan
April 15 2015

Isn't the Bay part of the Rideau Centre? I assume what they sell at the Bay cannot be too much different in what they sell in the other shops at the Rideau Centre. They are making renovations at the Bay too.

Loga0082

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 11:25 PM

To add on mac's comments, Cadillac Fairview and Hudson's Bay have the same sort of relationship in Toronto and Vancouver between CF's downtown mall and the Bay's independent store across the street.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
To add on mac's comments, Cadillac Fairview and Hudson's Bay have the same sort of relationship in Toronto and Vancouver between CF's downtown mall and the Bay's independent store across the street.
Cadillac Fairview bought the downtown Toronto flagship building and a few in other cities. The downtown Ottawa store is one of the few flagship buildings Hudson's Bay still owns according to someone I spoke to at the Bay.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...service=mobile

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:23 AM

The Bay
Silvia Logan
April 17 2015
I use to shop at the Bay a lot, but since three years ago, I did not want to. The two times when I shopped at the Bay three years ago, these two Chinese ladies were pushing me to get an HBC card. They did not want me to use neither Visa nor cash. I had to wait 2 or 3 hours for them to screw around. I just got sick of it. One of the Chinese ladies was also rude to me because I wanted to pay with Visa. She told me you get a reduction. To me, the HBC card is rubbish because in the end one ends up paying 28 or 29% interest which is twice as more than paying with a Visa card. I bought proactive creams there, but the young white guy never pushed me to have a HBC card. Do you have a HBC card? What do you think of this type of card?

loga0082

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loga0082 View Post
The Bay
Do you have a HBC card? What do you think of this type of card?

loga0082
I don't see a lot of benefit to a single store card- as you say the interest rate is higher, plus you can only use it in one place, it is an extra bill to pay and an extra liability on your credit rating. But I think the bay has 10% off sometimes when you use their card, so for large purchases it may be worth it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Cadillac Fairview bought the downtown Toronto flagship building and a few in other cities. The downtown Ottawa store is one of the few flagship buildings Hudson's Bay still owns according to someone I spoke to at the Bay.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...service=mobile
I'll be damned! Now that you mention it, I remember hearing something about HBC thinking about selling real-estate, but I didn't know they went through with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa