HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 11:55 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ontario has a law requiring any community that is more than 5% or 10% Francophone or something like that to be to be officially bilingual. There are a handful of such communities between Sudbury and Winnipeg. Thunder Bay isn't one of them. Greenstone is, its community of Longlac is trilingual (French, Ojibwe and English). In Thunder Bay, Ojibwe, Italian, Polish and Finnish are all more common than French, but French seems to be gaining ground. French immersion is getting more popular every year.
This Ontario law applies to provincial government services only. Provincial government services are offered in both languages where the population of francophones is 5 percent of the local total or numbers something like 5,000.

Municipalities are under no obligation to be bilingual in Ontario, and it is their choice if they are. For example, Timmins has 30 to 40 percent francophones and is not bilingual. Neither is North Bay which has 15 or 20 percent if I recall.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 4:41 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Everything put out by the Government of Manitoba is still bilingual today.
There was a bit of a gap in there, for about 90 years or so, though.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:32 AM

From the Construction page, my apologies to any who saw it there.

This was a little bit earlier today, when I began to install the glass.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Jan 31, 2012 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:59 AM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:13 PM
BANNED

Great design; this would enhance our dt a lot.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 3:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Young local architectural firm snags international award in Big Apple

Posted: 02/21/2012 1:00 AM

A young Winnipeg architecture firm will have to make room on the mantel for another international award.

The principals of 5468796 Architecture were in New York late last week to receive the top prize at this year's 2012 Progressive Architecture Awards, which are presented annually by U.S.-based Architect Magazine.

Read More........http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...139794013.html
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

random thing someone posted up on facebook

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
random thing someone posted up on facebook
...the hell is this!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 12:50 AM

They are putting up some antenna equipment.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:40 PM
BANNED

Another grain office out of city?

Saskatoon moves to lure institute

LOL, we not only continue to lose people to Sask., but business too...we will see what the pathetic Sellinger government will do about this:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...141282493.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:19 PM

Though I would rephrase the question to not sound like a complete arrogant jack butt, I would ask the same thing. Is there anything that the government could, should do to keep CIGI here? I feel that them leaving would only start a chain reaction and would have a big impact on the city. I didn't get a good feeling from the article at all.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:57 PM

Just talked with Selinger's son. And I am starting to feel a little bit more positive about the scenario. The Free Press is over playing the scenario, and it is really nothing to worry about. And in regards to Orlikow and the mayor. He walked out of the meeting in disgust at Katz' tactics, he wasn't kicked out. Ross Eadie followed suite shortly after. I don't agree that people should walk out of Council meetings, but he is only human, I would have walked out of any meeting with Katz after a couple of minutes hearing what he has to say.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:45 PM
BANNED

I hope so, we do not want a trend.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:07 PM
BANNED

What a wonderful series on the Filipino population here. I would love to see developers team up with the Filipino community to develop a section downtown we could call New Philippines, which would boast Filipino-inspired architecture, stores, restaurants, etc.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...rcityourworld/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
What a wonderful series on the Filipino population here. I would love to see developers team up with the Filipino community to develop a section downtown we could call New Philippines, which would boast Filipino-inspired architecture, stores, restaurants, etc.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...rcityourworld/
An intriguing idea. The West End currently functions sort of like a "New Philippines" with a large number of churches, stores and restaurants, etc. catering to this population. Perhaps the area could be re-branded and promoted more actively?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:24 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
An intriguing idea. The West End currently functions sort of like a "New Philippines" with a large number of churches, stores and restaurants, etc. catering to this population. Perhaps the area could be re-branded and promoted more actively?
Hardly just the West End. Areas like The Maples, Tyndall Park and Garden Grove have large Filipino communities.

When I was in high school at Maples Collegiate the majority of my classmates were Filipino.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Hardly just the West End. Areas like The Maples, Tyndall Park and Garden Grove have large Filipino communities.

When I was in high school at Maples Collegiate the majority of my classmates were Filipino.
True -- with more than 60,000 people in the community, it's hard to find many neighbourhoods where there isn't some presence. However, it seems like many small ethnic business (not just Filipino) have taken root in the West End because of low rents, availability of small storefronts, and a receptive multicultural local population. Isn't the motto of the West End Biz "We are the world" or some such?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:47 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
True -- with more than 60,000 people in the community, it's hard to find many neighbourhoods where there isn't some presence. However, it seems like many small ethnic business (not just Filipino) have taken root in the West End because of low rents, availability of small storefronts, and a receptive multicultural local population. Isn't the motto of the West End Biz "We are the world" or some such?
Perhaps. I just find it irritating when people (usually English speaking white) try and cram a certain ethnic group to a certain area of town and try to create a Chinatown, Little Italy or Portugueseville.

Especially in Winnipeg where MANY ethnic groups are in their 3rd and 4th generations and have good paying jobs, live in nice suburban homes and do the majority of their shopping at the same places as everyone else.

It's not like the days where there were large groups of non-English speaking immigrants in the city and they all stuck closely together and these communities formed organically.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:36 PM

you can't artificially create ethnic districts, they evolve organically over time, trying to force a filipino village would be dumb imo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan