HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 12:31 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
you can't artificially create ethnic districts, they evolve organically over time, trying to force a filipino village would be dumb imo
Exactly. They have to do it themselves or it won't work. Filipino people aren't going to move to a particular area just because the city has branded it a certain way.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
you can't artificially create ethnic districts, they evolve organically over time, trying to force a filipino village would be dumb imo
Nah, you are just dumb. No one is forcing anything, rather spearheading something that can be a wonderful attraction to visitors and residents.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Exactly. They have to do it themselves or it won't work. Filipino people aren't going to move to a particular area just because the city has branded it a certain way.
You have no clue how close-knit Filipinos are; it is a wondrous thing. It would work.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:30 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
You have no clue how close-knit Filipinos are; it is a wondrous thing. It would work.
If they're so close knit then why doesn't a Little Manila exist today?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Nah, you are just dumb. No one is forcing anything, rather spearheading something that can be a wonderful attraction to visitors and residents.
lol really?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:56 AM
I am a typical

"You can plant a lovely Filipino family here in North Kildonan and with some tender loving care and a bit of sunlight, you'll soon have a thriving Filipino community!"

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:58 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If they're so close knit then why doesn't a Little Manila exist today?
It does in terms of residence but it oddly doesn't manifest itself in a particularly colourful or interesting 'main street' experience. Although Filipinos are overwhelmingly the largest Asian group in Winnipeg, Filipino restaurants (if there are any) are a complete afterthought to those of a long list of other Asian countries. Filipino culture is basically pretty western and at least among those that I work with (in Toronto) there is remarkably little sentimentality or even interest in the Philippines as a place. I sometimes ask about what it was like and the answers are about as perfunctory and dispassionate as those you'd get from someone who'd visited for a week and thought it wasn't really worth going back. I think they're glad to be here, we're glad that they are here, and it doesn't really bother me much that they aren't itching to recreate ye-olde Manila on McPhillips Street.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It does in terms of residence but it oddly doesn't manifest itself in a particularly colourful or interesting 'main street' experience. Although Filipinos are overwhelmingly the largest Asian group in Winnipeg, Filipino restaurants (if there are any) are a complete afterthought to those of a long list of other Asian countries. Filipino culture is basically pretty western and at least among those that I work with (in Toronto) there is remarkably little sentimentality or even interest in the Philippines as a place. I sometimes ask about what it was like and the answers are about as perfunctory and dispassionate as those you'd get from someone who'd visited for a week and thought it wasn't really worth going back. I think they're glad to be here, we're glad that they are here, and it doesn't really bother me much that they aren't itching to recreate ye-olde Manila on McPhillips Street.
I've often wondered the same thing with particular regard to restaurants. I think there is one, on Balmoral, maybe more. Filipino cuisine is quite 'distinct' from other Asian countries and by distinct I mean completely unappealing to me. Lots of things on the menu that don't appear on other menus. I guess it's part of history, their colonial past/Spanish influence etc - who knows. I shouldn't even begin to speculate except to say that it is interesting!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:50 AM

There a few filipino restaurants in the city. Although they have yet to match the levels that may attract other ethnic groups, particularly the European Canadians. It just doesn't have the same appeal that Thai restaurants have.

There was a really nice pinoy restaurant called Goldilocks in New Westminster bc. Very palatable food and ethnic. The buns there were great.

And to make the point the the filipino community may be large. There's too much regionalistic issues within the community. There may be egos involve where the individuals that have the means are just starting to build a strong foundation for larger venture. Unlike the mom and pop corner stores or water dispensing stores.

Most filipino are working class people, largely in the hospitality, health and manufacturing sectors of our economy. Few still are in prominent positions where they can garner huge investments for the community.

For example the Philippine Canadian center of Manitoba on Kewwatin. That was suppose to be a catalyst for a larger development to spur development centered around filipino cultural institutions. But what it only did was create a strip mall for those business favored by the board.

It's true philipino culture is a mix of Spanish American cultures with indigenous bits within. And many are just very westernized.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:08 PM

Why is the Exchange District cut so short? Based on the warehouses, should it not border on Hargrave, and one would say it could extend all the way out to Pacific as well. Are all the historic buildings in the exchange protected or only some of them. Also I think other than a few of the obvious chinese buildings in China Town, it could be considered part of the exchange as well. Where can a list of all the protected buildings in the exchange be found?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:10 PM

Also a few areas south of Notre Dame could be included as part of the exchange as well. This is an amazing pano of the District and shows you where the boundaries should lie.

http://gigapan.org/gigapans/68223

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Why is the Exchange District cut so short? Based on the warehouses, should it not border on Hargrave, and one would say it could extend all the way out to Pacific as well. Are all the historic buildings in the exchange protected or only some of them. Also I think other than a few of the obvious chinese buildings in China Town, it could be considered part of the exchange as well. Where can a list of all the protected buildings in the exchange be found?

Click on this link for the reason for the national designation for the exchange

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dfhd/page_nhs_eng.aspx?id=1775

Click on this link for a list of the 511 designated heritage buildings in Winnipeg (the definition of protected is very often a difficult concept to apply in the case of heritage buildings)

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/resu...yword=winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 2:45 AM

It's gonna be a good year for the riverwalk. Probably one of the best in a while. It's nice to see that it will actually be put to use. Has anyone ever seen the entire river walk usable at once?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
It's gonna be a good year for the riverwalk. Probably one of the best in a while. It's nice to see that it will actually be put to use. Has anyone ever seen the entire river walk usable at once?
ur being sarcastic with ur question right?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ur being sarcastic with ur question right?
Nope, unfortunately every summer that I have been here, I have always had a section of the Walkway that has mud covering it. Not a little either, a lot of mud. Mind you one year it was just the corner where the river's merged and they were spraying it. But I haven't had a full experience on the River Walk since I left the Peg, which would explain my complete disappointment, and un-satisfaction with it. This is also why I am a big advocate for a new one with a far better design, more suitable for varying water levels.

I am a Winnipegger, with a huge heart for this city, so I know before coming that there is a chance that I may not be able to walk on the RW. But imagine a first timer, who would be anticipating such a gorgeous experience only to find a mud covered slop. That is what frustrates me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
BANNED

The idea was based on a plan to turn Sargent and Ellice into a Portugese-themed village, but that fell through, so something with a nod to the Philippines would be great.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 5:20 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
The idea was based on a plan to turn Sargent and Ellice into a Portugese-themed village, but that fell through, so something with a nod to the Philippines would be great.
Why not combine it with Chinatown and form an Asiaville? That'd be alot more awesome.

Imagine the mid-rises!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:07 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...142899815.html

It is not very often I will take part in bashing the homeless. But blaming the homelessness on high rent just made me bust a gut this morning. Winnipeg has one of the lowest rents I have ever seen. I think for a good number, some other factors maybe involved. I think the reporters at WFP need to stop cooking up stories and actually do their research.

If there is one thing about Winnipeg, a fair number of its citizens live in their own little bubble, unaware's as to how lucky they actually have it with some things.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...142899815.html

It is not very often I will take part in bashing the homeless. But blaming the homelessness on high rent just made me bust a gut this morning. Winnipeg has one of the lowest rents I have ever seen. I think for a good number, some other factors maybe involved. I think the reporters at WFP need to stop cooking up stories and actually do their research.

If there is one thing about Winnipeg, a fair number of its citizens live in their own little bubble, unaware's as to how lucky they actually have it with some things.
Reporting on a panel discussion is hardly "cooking up stories".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:48 PM
BANNED

It is about time we are less affordable; I am sick to death of the welfare image we project. Ship some of the homeless elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan