HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 8:50 PM

It's just too bad they play baseball there.

/hater.

Shaw Park is a lovely venue. The concessions are reasonably priced, and the Fish make for a nice, relatively inexpensive evening out in the summer.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:48 AM
BANNED

this is pretty interesting: http://www.coolgardens.ca/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:28 PM

Nice to here the Paddlewheel Queen is returning to the Red. A few great memories and some good times during long hot summer evenings in the city..

I only wish more could be done to utilize our waterways the few months of the year they're navigable.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The ships have been here for a few days now. Every morning the crews have to fight to get them off the bank as the river is falling very quickly.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The ships have been here for a few days now. Every morning the crews have to fight to get them off the bank as the river is falling very quickly.
What do we do? Living at the bottom of lake aggasiz on the ever flooding plain.
How do we maintain several large(and smaller) public use vessels, on a regular basis? How can we construct the docking sytem to flucuate with the small time frame we have to use this natural waterway?

It's a huge opportunity but also a huge conundrum?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 7:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
How do we maintain several large(and smaller) public use vessels, on a regular basis? How can we construct the docking system to fluctuate with the small time frame we have to use this natural waterway?

Who is we?

Those ships are designed to be used without docks, they have bow gangways.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
How do we maintain several large(and smaller) public use vessels, on a regular basis? How can we construct the docking system to fluctuate with the small time frame we have to use this natural waterway?

Quote:
Who is we?

Those ships are designed to be used without docks, they have bow gangways.
This is why I love SSP one word is taken out of context to set up a reply to a post.
we [wiː]
pron (subjective)
2. refers to all people or people in general the planet on which we live

Anyway,I was asking someone who has knowledge on the topic to suggest ways to improve the use of vessels, gangways and all, on a regular basis as our River System is so prone to fluctuations?

No ideas? thanks

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 9:16 PM
BANNED

RBC pays to put logo on Portage and Main skyscraper

After more than a decade of being abandonned by TD, the tower at 201 Portage Avenue is returing to the banking big league.

Banking on Winnipeg's top view
RBC pays to put logo on Portage and Main skyscraper

By: Geoff Kirbyson

THE biggest financial institution in Canada has taken out Winnipeg's billboard in the clouds.

RBC Royal Bank will raise its "Leo" logo atop 201 Portage Ave. early next month.

Alan Dunnett, regional director for RBC Wealth Management Dominion Securities, the bank's brokerage division, said his team negotiated the signage when it finalized its lease to move into the top three floors of the building last year.

Because the cost is embedded in the lease, it's difficult to determine the price of the city's highest billboard, he said.

"If you talk to anybody in commercial real estate, signage on buildings has significant intrinsic value.

Read More: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...215350891.html

Last edited by Shinook; Jul 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Edited link to story

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 9:45 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Anyway, I was asking someone who has knowledge on the topic to suggest ways to improve the use of vessels, gangways and all, on a regular basis as our River System is so prone to fluctuations?

I guess "we" could leave it up to the operators of those vessels to find the best way to operate them.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 11:13 PM

I wonder if rbc will be keeping the naming rights to the building across the street?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I guess "we" could leave it up to the operators of those vessels to find the best way to operate them.
Yes, leave the operation of boats on our River System to the the ones that pilot them. Who would disagree????

Public docks, ramps, control of the water levels, walkways, when they are repaired opened/closed are all under the city of winnipeg's juristiction/gov't of manitoba.

Operators have no control over this? We're not talking about individuals owning private property and deciding when to/or not drop thier own dock into the river.

The city would have to be consulted for any public construction or placement of infrastructure on our river system(city boundries), as in raising the level of walkways and docking around the forks for example.ie: Improving the use of our water ways for longer periods of time, splash dash etc. ?

Last edited by Cyro; Jul 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 10:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Public docks, ramps, control of the water levels, walkways, when they are repaired opened/closed are all under the city of winnipeg's juristiction/gov't of manitoba.
The St. Andrews Lock and Dam is operated by the federal government. It only raises the level to allow for summer navigation. This is needed due to rock outcroppings at Lister Rapids and for about two miles north. As far as high water goes, it is totally uncontrolled with the exception of the floodway.

Quote:
Operators have no control over this? We're not talking about individuals owning private property and deciding when to/or not drop thier own dock into the river.
No, none. They are entirely at the mercy of the river.

Quote:
The city would have to be consulted for any public construction or placement of infrastructure on our river system(city boundries), as in raising the level of walkways and docking around the forks for example.ie: Improving the use of our water ways for longer periods of time, splash dash etc. ?
I don't understand what you're trying to say here but any building of permanent structures on the river is under the jurisdiction of the federal government, not the city.

And no, the walkway can't be raised easily without digging up every property on Assiniboine.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 11:26 PM

Hmm.. I appreciate the time you took to reply to my posts and break them down into your interpretation of them.
I'm not going to itemize every post you spoke of because we apparently are having a "misunderstanding of sorts".

I only asked in my 1st post ........................way back how our riverways can be improved to utilize and benifit winnipegers, manitobans and tourists. Not who has control of them, who would decide who made the decisions..etc..It was a simple question.?

Ideas? Or it's impossible? Let's leave it at that. Debate is great and appreciated but we are spinning our wheels here and It has nothing to do with my post ..k?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 11:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I only asked in my 1st post ........................way back how our riverways can be improved to utilize and benifit winnipegers, manitobans and tourists. Not who has control of them, who would decide who made the decisions..etc..It was a simple question.?
My apologies but at the best of times it is very, very difficult to interpret what you are trying to say.

And no, it is not a simple question, it completely lacks context.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
My apologies but at the best of times it is very, very difficult to interpret what you are trying to say.

And no, it is not a simple question, it completely lacks context.
I appreciate your reply, I've been involved in to many contractual and legal situations where my responses can be misinterpreted, but are intended to be worded in a manner that I can easily rebut, or change depending on how the situation goes.It's not a great trait.

Context? Well again it would depend on the poster's interpretation of said post.

Good discussion, makes things a little more interesting. take it easy

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:26 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

And no, the walkway can't be raised easily without digging up every property on Assiniboine.
I recently had a conversation with a engineer working with the City and the Province looking at ways to improve the river walk along the Assiniboine. There will be approx $1 million in minor improvements in the fall. They have looked into doing a river wall type walkway system like in other cities (Chicago and San Antonio). The cost is enormous, tones of utility relocation work due to all the foundation work that would be required. In the end I believe he said the bill would be in the $250 to $500 million range. That budget won't fly so they are working together to see if they can utilize the flood way more to regulate the levels more........surprise,surprise.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:49 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
In the end I believe he said the bill would be in the $250 to $500 million range. That budget won't fly so they are working together to see if they can utilize the flood way more to regulate the levels more........surprise,surprise.
In order to utilize the floodway to control summer water levels from 6.5-8.5 James (a usable range) the berm would have to be removed from the floodway inlet and an inlet control structure built. A group of us spoke to Doer about this when the floodway improvements were just starting but we got a flat no.

An inlet control structure could eat up a good chunk of $250 million.

Last edited by Riverman; Jul 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 1:28 AM

Thx for the info Biff. I realize the cost would be enormous, but this is what I was curious about. Improving the system and improving our use of the river ways, even though the city/province would shy away from such a huge expense. Alternative solutions are something that should be looked at.

It is not working as things stand now.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 2:47 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
In order to utilize the floodway to control summer water levels from 6.5-8.5 James (a usable range) the berm would have to be removed from the floodway inlet and an inlet control structure built. A group of us spoke to Doer about this when the floodway improvements were just starting but we got a flat no.

An inlet control structure could eat up a good chunk of $250 million.
Yes, they are looking into the feasibility of building a gate structure at the inlet. You are right, the berm has to go.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 3:02 PM

Riverwalk emerges after 80 soggy days
By: Staff Writer

River levels in Winnipeg have finally receded sufficiently to expose the Assiniboine Riverwalk.

On Monday, the Red River at the James Avenue monitoring station dropped to 8.2 feet above normal winter ice levels, exposing the Assiniboine Riverwalk, which stands at 8.5 feet.

It is expected to take days for crews to clear the riverwalk of mud and other debris. The riverwalk had been under water since April 27, near the start of the late spring flood of 2013. That's a total of 80 days.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...215627821.html

Ahh mid July...finally

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan