HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I guess if I am ever travel from New Westminster to Surrey in the future, I'll left turn at Fourth St or something to take Royal Ave to McBride Blvd. They need better signage
Just go up Royal Ave. You can't turn right from Fourth St. to Royal Ave, only Sixth or Eighth but it's a bit of a hill.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 6:51 PM

There used to be a left turn from eastbound Columbia onto the onramp to southbound Patullo Bridge, but I think they closed that up due to congestion.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There used to be a left turn from eastbound Columbia onto the onramp to southbound Patullo Bridge, but I think they closed that up due to congestion.
The ramp was closed during Millenium Line construction and when they reconstructed it, the City of New Westminster requested that the left turn pattern from eastbound Columbia to Patullo not be rebuilt.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:13 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Just a follow up on the Project Manager RFQ today Translink issued another request this time for a technical consultant. I've pared down the document by a few pages.

1.2 The Pattullo Bridge crosses between New Westminster and Surrey at the narrowest section of the Fraser River within the Lower Mainland and is in close proximity to the New Westminster Rail Bridge, and the SkyTrain bridge (SkyBridge).

1.3 The Pattullo Bridge was constructed in 1935-37 by the Dominion Bridge Company for the Ministry of Public Works, now known as the Ministry of Transportation. Ownership of the bridge was transferred to TransLink in 1999 with the formation of the Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority (TransLink). As the owner, TransLink is responsible for operating and maintaining the aging structure.

1.4 The structure consists of nine steel truss spans that vary in length from 60 m to a main span of 145 m. Vertical clearance at the main span is 45.7 m. The deck is 12.0 m wide, allowing four 3.0 m travel lanes. There is a 1.8 m wide sidewalk cantilevered over the west side. Several utilities have been installed beneath the deck, including water mains for municipalities to the south.

1.5 The Pattullo Bridge carries an average of 70,000 vehicles per day, of which 6% (approx.) are trucks. There are significant traffic queues during the AM and PM peak periods.

1.6 In 2007, as a first step towards the development of a long-term replacement and/or rehabilitation strategy for the existing Pattullo Bridge, TransLink commissioned the Pattullo Corridor Study. The study, completed in May 2008, considered the merits of retaining and rehabilitating the existing bridge and examined a number of alternative alignment corridors for a new crossing in the vicinity of the existing structure including connections to key municipal and provincial highways.

1.7 While the Pattullo Corridor Study did go so far as to recommend that the existing Pattullo Bridge be replaced it did not recommend a preferred alignment for a new crossing. The study did provide a shortlist of alignment options that warrant further study and recommended that consideration be given to the value of direct network connections to the proposed South Fraser Perimeter Road, North Fraser Perimeter Road and a Stormont-McBride connector.

1.8 Based on the details provided in the Pattullo Corridor Study, the TransLink Board directed staff to proceed with the next steps to replace the existing bridge. This direction also included instructions to examine the possibility of replacing the bridge with a new tolled facility.

1.9 TransLink staff is proposing a phased approach to advance the design and construction of the replacement bridge including a Functional Design Phase, a Procurement Phase and an Implementation Phase. The Functional Design Phase will define the scope of the project, confirm a preferred alignment, and develop a preliminary traffic and revenue model that can be used to test the elasticity and feasibility of tolling strategies. The Procurement Phase will build on the results of the first phase to further develop the traffic and revenue model and determine the most appropriate delivery method.

The procurement phase will also include the development of specifications and standards and the management of the Request for Qualifications and Request for Proposal process. The project will be built during the Implementation Phase, however, the details of this phase cannot be defined until the delivery model is determined in the Procurement Phase.

1.10 The purpose of the Functional Design Study is to identify, from the current short listed options, a preferred bridge alignment and to develop a functional design for the new bridge and connecting road network on both sides of the river.

1.11 In doing so, the Functional Design Study will result in a preferred alignment, a functional design (including typical sections) and cost estimate for the replacement crossing. The Functional Design Study will also provide an assessment of the anticipated traffic volumes and potential revenues assuming a range of tolls.

1.12 The Functional Design Study will include input from the directly affected municipalities on either side of the river as well as the public and other stakeholders. As such, the preferred alignment, functional design, cost and revenue estimates derived through this Functional Design Study will be completed to a sufficient level of detail to prepare the project for procurement and implementation.

1.13 It is anticipated that the Functional Design Study will be completed by the December 2009 thus enabling the Procurement Phase to commence early in the new year. Given the current condition of the bridge, and in light of the recommendation to build a replacement bridge rather than rehabilitate the existing structure, it is critical that the proposed functional design schedule is achieved. Prolonging the schedule to replace the aging bridge increases the likelihood that TransLink will incur significant rehabilitation expenditures to maintain the existing structure.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
While the Pattullo Corridor Study did go so far as to recommend that the existing Pattullo Bridge be replaced it did not recommend a preferred alignment for a new crossing. The study did provide a shortlist of alignment options that warrant further study and recommended that consideration be given to the value of direct network connections to the proposed South Fraser Perimeter Road, North Fraser Perimeter Road and a Stormont-McBride connector.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
1.13 It is anticipated that the Functional Design Study will be completed by the December 2009 thus enabling the Procurement Phase to commence early in the new year. Given the current condition of the bridge, and in light of the recommendation to build a replacement bridge rather than rehabilitate the existing structure, it is critical that the proposed functional design schedule is achieved.
Good.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 6:57 PM

Quote:
...consideration be given to the value of direct network connections to the proposed South Fraser Perimeter Road, North Fraser Perimeter Road and a Stormont-McBride connector.
Just some tidbits regarding same from other sites:

Quote:
Another school of thought advanced by Voice New Westminster Director Patrick O’Connor, would be to include the bridge with the construction of the “Stormont Connector”.

The Stormont connector project would join the Pattullo Bridge to Highway 1. The project could be done as a massive cut and cover operation that would put the entire route, from the bridgehead to Highway 1 underground and then restore McBride Blvd to a local surface road with enhanced pedestrian connections between the two sides of McBride. This project has been in discussion for years.
Quote:
New West planners have even talked about a tunnel for trucks and rail that would start near New Westminster’s western border and then pop out at our Eastern border near Highway 1. Something like that would cost billions but would eliminate a lot of truck traffic in New Westminster, and lead to a lot less rail infrastructure along our waterfront.
Source: VoiceNewWestminsterBlogspot

http://voicenewwestminster.blogspot....hat-to-do.html

Quote:
Both the City of Burnaby and the City of New Westminster complain about commuter traffic rat-running through their communities. The noise, smog and pedestrian safety risk.

The anticipated federal infrastructure stimulus is an opportunity to do something about it.

The construction of the cut-and-cover Stormont-McBride Connector to divert traffic more directly from the Pattullo Bridge to the Trans-Canada Highway and Gaglardi Way should be the top priority for both municipalities.

This project would complement (and be essential for) the replacement of the old Pattullo Bridge with a new six-lane span in the future.

Derek Wilson

Port Moody
Source: Letter to Editor, New Westminster News Leader

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v.../38562929.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:07 PM

Finally some sense! That is exactly what needs to be done! We would have the through freeway traffic underground and the surface streets reserved for local traffic, trams, bikes and pedestrians. Now there is some European thinking!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:11 PM
victory in near

i use to drive that everyday and i hated it

from the bridge to the highway has to be around 5km. that's a crazy long tunnel. and all of it would be under homes.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 8:09 PM

No mention of a combined road / rail crossing in the consultant's terms of reference?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 8:17 PM

Wow, can you just imagine? Vancouver having true rail and freeway networks in 10 years.

Canada line, UBC extension, Surrey Extention, Evergreen Line, a downtown tram network, renovated Expo line, new sea bus, possibly increased WCE activity, possible interurban rail, the new Golden Ears and connecting roads, SFPR, new Port Mann Bridge and improved #1, improved Sea to Sky, new Pitt River Bridge and possible NFPR and now a new Patullo bridge and now a possible Stormont-McBride connector! Ifthis continues Vancouver may actually become comparable to Asian and European cities of similar size for transportation (maybe). not to mention the smaller scale projects such as the new Coast Meridian Overpass (which really is not that small).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
i use to drive that everyday and i hated it

from the bridge to the highway has to be around 5km. that's a crazy long tunnel. and all of it would be under homes.
not really.

Here is a one of many highway tunnels under construction in Prague, 5.5km for this one. There are countless tunnels, built, planned, or approved, infact most of the inner city ring road is tunneled. So yes its possilbe, you just have to go and do it. I should add though that there's a impressive public transit system to go with this (i might be a homer) but imo its the best pulic transit system in the world for a city in 1.2mill range(1.9 for the metro).

yellow is tunnels, interchanges are mostly also bellow ground...the southern end leads in to another tunnel and then another(so thats like a 15 or so km stretch with 95% of it bellow ground).

some motivational links...good construction and pictures, plans and stuff, I just wish Vancouver could try something similiar...and dont even look at the public transit network.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=307793
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=484668

Last edited by cornholio; Apr 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 9:00 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
not really.

Here is a one of many highway tunnels under construction in Prague
ya but new westminster is not prague. i couldn't not imagine a highway going right through a 1000 year old city. that would be even more crazy.

if this tunnel gets built, i think it would be north america's 2nd longest road tunnel. i believe that big one in Boston is over 5.5 km.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 9:01 PM

5 km goes by pretty quick above 100kph. Something like 3 minutes.

I'd be all for two tunnel, one for the NFPR and one to connect Patullo to the #1, complete with their own underground interchange or intersection.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 6:27 PM

A tunnel from the end of the Pattulo to the half-interchange at Gaglardi would come to be roughly 4 km in length.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 6:04 PM

I haven't heard any updates on the status of the Pattullo bridge replacement project for quite a while. According to what I read in the posts below, the Functional Design Study was supposed to be finished by this point and we would be preparing for procurement shortly. Have there been any updates to the status of this project? While I have done some searching, I might have missed something; but at the very least new information is not easily findable.

Hopefully design work is still underway. Dunno where the money is going to come from but at the very least I'd be interested to see designs.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesheh View Post
I haven't heard any updates on the status of the Pattullo bridge replacement project for quite a while. According to what I read in the posts below, the Functional Design Study was supposed to be finished by this point and we would be preparing for procurement shortly. Have there been any updates to the status of this project? While I have done some searching, I might have missed something; but at the very least new information is not easily findable.

Hopefully design work is still underway. Dunno where the money is going to come from but at the very least I'd be interested to see designs.
Sorry, its a translink project. Translink project take FOREVER to get off the ground (re: Golden Ears Bridge, Coast Meridian Overpass), sometimes years behind initial plans. Why? Because theres too much red tape, take too much time to make decisions, and worst of all, translink is broke.

Sorry for the negativity, but I have no problem expressing my dislike for translink.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Wow, can you just imagine? Vancouver having true rail and freeway networks in 10 years.

Canada line, UBC extension, Surrey Extention, Evergreen Line, a downtown tram network, renovated Expo line, new sea bus, possibly increased WCE activity, possible interurban rail, the new Golden Ears and connecting roads, SFPR, new Port Mann Bridge and improved #1, improved Sea to Sky, new Pitt River Bridge and possible NFPR and now a new Patullo bridge and now a possible Stormont-McBride connector! Ifthis continues Vancouver may actually become comparable to Asian and European cities of similar size for transportation (maybe). not to mention the smaller scale projects such as the new Coast Meridian Overpass (which really is not that small).
i wonder what r the prospects for skyscrapers in 10 yrs...from what i think, they will allow taller buildings in dt sooner or later, some ppl r gona push for height endlessly...metrotown could see a 200m too...then maybe even 250...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Sorry, its a translink project. Translink project take FOREVER to get off the ground (re: Golden Ears Bridge, Coast Meridian Overpass), sometimes years behind initial plans. Why? Because theres too much red tape, take too much time to make decisions, and worst of all, translink is broke.

Sorry for the negativity, but I have no problem expressing my dislike for translink.
True. but I'm surprised that there's been complete silence on the subject since last April. You'd think at least something would be going on or there'd be some sort of progress report. I guess I shouldn't expect any better - perhaps I'll see what more aggressive can uncover.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 12:49 AM

I'd venture a guess that this project has been put on the back burner for the time being. Other things are more important at this time.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 12:58 AM

You're both right: There should be at least some kind of background work going on. It seems to me the difficult part of this project is not where to build the bridge, or how to pay for it (tolls tolls tolls...), but rather what kind of supporting infrastructure it will need -- and what New Westminister will demand versus allow. Theres also the complication of them wanting to replace the rail bridge at the same location.

"Sorry, we can toll-fund the $1.0B bridge, but the $4.0B tunnel that you want is not feasible at this time..."

Translink is busy trying to keep its service levels afloat, and then they have to worry about getting the evergreen line funding together. If they DO manage to get the evergreen situation sorted out, and U/C this year (as promised) then I could see them turning attention to the Patullo Bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure