HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:29 PM

The renovated sections are gorgeous.

The bottom level is still completely unrenovated, I wonder when they're getting around to it?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:06 PM

There is a new LCBO going in next to the new Shopper's in the old food court area.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:57 PM

Not super exciting news, but apparently they are testing way-finding signage:

Quote:
Testing new ground mounted pylon signs. The devil is in the details! #rideaucentre #change

12:23 PM - 14 Jan 2015
[Source]

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
There is a new LCBO going in next to the new Shopper's in the old food court area.
LCBO... Shoppers... sigh. I'm losing hope that things will change in Ottawa. Was hoping for vibrant storefronts to new clothing shops (like the Forever 21) or nice restaurants, etc... Not a drug store (to be fair though, it was already there) and another freakin LCBO. I'm happy about Simons and Forever 21 opening up to the streets.. hoping for more though.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob64 View Post
LCBO... Shoppers... sigh. I'm losing hope that things will change in Ottawa. Was hoping for vibrant storefronts to new clothing shops (like the Forever 21) or nice restaurants, etc... Not a drug store (to be fair though, it was already there) and another freakin LCBO. I'm happy about Simons and Forever 21 opening up to the streets.. hoping for more though.
The LCBO was also there already.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
The Shoppers is moving so that a new vibrant storefront can be created on Rideau.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:02 PM

Oy, people. As a resident of the immediate area, I don't want every storefront to be a 'destination store' or 'novelty shop'. Basic amenities like drug stores, banks, supermarkets, LCBOs, etc. are needed for living in the area to be convienient. I for one don't want to live in a place where I'm surrounded by clothing shops and restaurants but have to go over 2km for a roll of toilet paper.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:45 PM
Busy Beaver

"Rideau Station • Rue Rideau Street"

Holy Rideau overload. The inconsistent bilingual signage is terrible. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
The LCBO was also there already.
The existing one doesn't have street frontage, the new one likely will.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Simons is actually on floor 2, 3 and 4 (maybe). Ground floor will be a Joey's which might have a terrace on the new pedestrian Nicholas.

http://www.rideaucentre.com/en/Redev...enderings.aspx

Oh and, here is a random rendering I've never seen:

And before/after:

http://normli.ca/2014/09/fancying-up-rideau-centre/

EDIT Looking at that last one, I guess Simons will have some space on the first floor.

Last edited by J.OT13; Jan 15, 2015 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:54 AM

So what Rideau Street would look like without traffic lights, newspaper boxes, signs, garbage cans, garbage, graffiti, buses, non-luxury cars, taxis bicycles or the bottom 99% of income earners.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
So what Rideau Street would look like without traffic lights, newspaper boxes, signs, garbage cans, garbage, graffiti, buses, non-luxury cars, taxis bicycles or the bottom 99% of income earners.
Yup. Ain't it grand!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:42 PM

So we know where Simons is going, but on that last pick, H&M is there on the second floor, where we think Simons will be. I guess we won't really know for sure what goes where until closer to the opening dates.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Oy, people. As a resident of the immediate area, I don't want every storefront to be a 'destination store' or 'novelty shop'. Basic amenities like drug stores, banks, supermarkets, LCBOs, etc. are needed for living in the area to be convienient. I for one don't want to live in a place where I'm surrounded by clothing shops and restaurants but have to go over 2km for a roll of toilet paper.
No one says you need to go 2km to buy toilet paper. Shoppers and LCBO should be in the mall; they just shouldn't be taking up limited storefront space on a street you're trying to market as a high street.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
No one says you need to go 2km to buy toilet paper. Shoppers and LCBO should be in the mall; they just shouldn't be taking up limited storefront space on a street you're trying to market as a high street.
Not sure we are quite at the point where space on Rideau is limited.

High streets are supposed to have services as well.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
"Rideau Station • Rue Rideau Street"

Holy Rideau overload. The inconsistent bilingual signage is terrible. Either do it right or don't do it at all.
Agreed. But the other option would be " Rue Rideau Station Rideau Street " which is a tongue twister in itself.

I would prefer " Stn Rideau Stn " & " Rue Rideau Street "

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
So we know where Simons is going, but on that last pick, H&M is there on the second floor, where we think Simons will be. I guess we won't really know for sure what goes where until closer to the opening dates.
They show H&M on the second floor of "Ogilvy" and on the first floor under the art wall.

As of now, we have no confirmation H&M will even be at Rideau. At this point, I don't think it will.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Agreed. But the other option would be " Rue Rideau Station Rideau Street " which is a tongue twister in itself.

I would prefer " Stn Rideau Stn " & " Rue Rideau Street "
If we could have one simple logo for the O-Train (like Montreal's Metro below), we could just have the logo, then "Rideau".

I'm getting tired of the current O-Train logo:

I would like to see it modernized with a red "O" similar to the City of Ottawa logo.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
They show H&M on the second floor of "Ogilvy" and on the first floor under the art wall.

As of now, we have no confirmation H&M will even be at Rideau. At this point, I don't think it will.
H&M is flourishing in Canada and expanding big time in the last 5+ years, and just arrived in the Ottawa area a year ago. For sure, 100% Rideau will get one, no doubt about it. I would bet money on this one. If Gatineau, Bayshore and Place d'Orleans have one, its only fitting for Rideau to get it too.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:57 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

h&m is supposed to be going where shoppers is now. the unit is going to have the back wall knocked out and it'll continue into the addition. the sign in the window on the mock-ups are most likely for advertising purposes. makes the pictures look better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa