HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 4:29 AM

I was looking at some federal appropriations and noticed that in 2004, Birmingham was given $3.5M for phase II of the Intermodal Station. Does anyone have any details on this phase of the project and when/if it has begun?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 3:00 PM

Rogers to push for dome funding
Thursday, July 21, 2005
ROY L. WILLIAMS
News staff writer

Birmingham legislator John Rogers said Wednesday he plans to introduce a bill for the Alabama Legislature's 2006 regular session that would require the Jefferson County Commission to extend its occupational tax and obligate $10 million a year to help pay for a domed stadium project.

The Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center Authority is proposing a $567 million dome and entertainment district.

The county's $10 million allotment for the BJCC is set to expire in 2007, so Rogers, who said the project cannot be built without county support, wants to extend that commitment by 30 years beginning in 2008.

Rogers' action was spurred by County Commissioner Gary White, who said last month he'll vote against extending the county's commitments.

White cried foul Wednesday.

"The majority of the commission is not in favor of the dome and it's not fair for lawmakers to try to force this down our throats," he said. "We're going to ask the Legislature to not play games with this bill."

Rogers confident:

Rogers, a Democratic representative, said he had hoped to get the bill in place for this week's special session but missed deadlines requiring new legislation to be advertised for public view. He said opponents "are going to fight against it hard, but in the end I'm confident I'll get the votes."

For a local bill, Rogers said all he needs is a majority of the county's legislative delegation to support him. Rep. Bobby Humphryes, R-Pleasant Grove, who plans to seek the commission seat held by Mary Buckelew, said he doubts Rogers can muster much Republican support since 2006 is an election year.

"I'm not discouraged," Rogers said. "I figure if I can get two of them, I can get it passed. I've gotten it done before," he said. He referred to bills he successfully introduced that implemented new alcoholic beverage, car rental and lodging taxes for the dome.

BJCC backing:

BJCC Board Chairman Clyde Echols said he welcomed Rogers' support. "We're fully prepared to assist him in any way to get that county funding," he said. "We'll be working on obtaining more private funding as well."

White was the swing vote on non-binding resolutions passed 3-2 in December 2002 and October 2004 to help finance a BJCC expansion. He said he is now against the project after polling constituents and finding most of them are against the dome.

"If they pass this bill, I hope they at least will put in a requirement that a referendum be held giving the people a chance to vote on it," he said.

Rogers said he is still working out details of the bill, which would be similar to one he sponsored in April 2004 that the Jefferson County House delegation approved 9-6. His bill wasn't considered by the full House.

E-mail: rwilliams@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 3:44 PM

UAB buys Southside HealthSouth

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB Health System and HealthSouth Corporation (OTC Pinksheets: HLSH) have reached an agreement for UAB to purchase the HealthSouth Medical Center on the southside of Birmingham for $33 million. The purchase is contingent upon regulatory approval, which UAB hopes to obtain in the next few months.

In the interim, the UAB Health System and HealthSouth have agreed upon terms whereby the UAB Health System will undertake management of the hospital effective August 1.

“Through these agreements, we will be able to continue to provide high-quality care in this facility for our community,” said David Hoidal, CEO of the UAB Health System. “Additionally, this enables UAB Hospital to grow its physical plant to meet the expanding demand for patient services.”

“For years, HealthSouth Medical Center’s employees have provided the highest quality care possible,” said Jay Grinney, president and CEO of HealthSouth. “These steps help ensure that their great work will continue as HealthSouth focuses on its core business of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, ambulatory surgery and diagnostics.”

UAB still is determining which services will be available in the facility.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 5:14 PM

I think this is an interesting project, conversion of a long-vacant church to condominiums in the Lakeview area:

(click on image to access larger version on Flickr)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 6:20 PM
*yawn

^I for one (with my limited architectural knowledge) think that this project is very Neat (for lack of a better word). Good to see some use out of another one of B'ham's abandoned buildings!

I was around the UAB Campus yesterday, when I noticed the old empty (I assume) warehouse across from Taco Bell. I can't remember the building's name or the name of the street(possibly 5th or 6th Ave. S). I think that it would make for a very cool and unique Club and Music Venue. I thought it was really cool how this old looking warehouse is right there in the middle of all of these new modern buildings. Very interesting. Are there any plans or rumors about this building?

I was also wondering what was being built beside the new Captain D's close by. It looked like another fast food type restaurant. Just curious, thanks!

"Rhetoric can't raise the dead"- Dustin Kensrue of Thrice

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 7:37 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua82
I was around the UAB Campus yesterday, when I noticed the old empty (I assume) warehouse across from Taco Bell. I can't remember the building's name or the name of the street(possibly 5th or 6th Ave. S). I think that it would make for a very cool and unique Club and Music Venue. I thought it was really cool how this old looking warehouse is right there in the middle of all of these new modern buildings. Very interesting. Are there any plans or rumors about this building?
I think you're referring to the Young & Vann Warehouse, which is due to be torn down (along with the rest of the block) to make way for the new UAB Women's and Children's Hospital.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 7:53 PM
I concede

Any word about the progress of the proposed park at the current parking lot across from Kirklin Clinic? There definitely needs to be more green space around UAB and I think this proposal would be a terrific start.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 9:22 PM
30,000 Feet and Climbing

Quote:
I was also wondering what was being built beside the new Captain D's close by. It looked like another fast food type restaurant. Just curious, thanks!
Thats McDonalds new location.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 9:23 PM
30,000 Feet and Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonARC
I think you're referring to the Young & Vann Warehouse, which is due to be torn down (along with the rest of the block) to make way for the new UAB Women's and Children's Hospital.
I thought that wasnt going to be built because Children's Hospital pull out the deal??

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 9:51 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortydee999
Quote:
No, the new McDonald's will be on the same block with the new Captain D's. The Women's and Infant's Hospital was merely postponed for a short time after Children's Hospital backed out as a partner in the project. UAB still plans to build the facility.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2005, 10:19 PM

^ My mom was in a supervisor faculty meeting recently at UAB and it was mentioned that the Women and Infants hospital may not happen at all... if it does happen, it will be greatly scaled down from the original plans.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2005, 7:32 AM

I was up there this weekend for "Hayfest" put on by Rollin' in the Hay. Anybody heard of them? Anyway, it was held at WorkPlay. What an awesome place. I've been going there for Hayfest for the past few years, but didn't know if anybody caught the show Friday night or knew anybody that did. It was great.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2005, 6:10 PM
Just a sailor

Quote:
When is work expected to begin on the I-22/I-65 interchange? I know theyre still not yet working on the Cherry Ave to Coalburg Rd section, but I would think that they could go ahead and begin work at the interchange and/or begin adding lanes to I-65 which is in the ultimate plan. I think the contract bid has already been granted to some company to begin clearing obstacles for the additional lanes on I-65, but havent seen any work to that nature yet begin.
The 22/65 interchange project has not been put out to bids yet. The Cherry Ave to Coalburg Rd section goes out to bid on Friday (the 29th). The contract for "structure removal" along I-65 was let in November.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2005, 8:07 PM

Yeah... I knew that much from following the letting on ALDOT's site, but I've seen no structural removal work actually taking place. The structural removal low bid was won by someone (cant recall the contractor), but the Cherry Ave-Coalburg Rd section has been withdrawn from the letting time and time again. Thus far, it appears that the Cherry Ave-Coalburg Rd section has remained in the letting list and has not yet been withdrawn. The deadline is July 29th, so hopefully they wont withdraw it on the 28th or something.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2005, 3:09 PM
EchoBoomer

8 lanes for 280 and other development news

From the Birmingham News & al.com
Quote:
280 to get 8-lane stretch
Wednesday, July 27, 2005
GINNY MacDONALD
News staff writer

The state plans to widen U.S. 280 from six to eight lanes between Interstate 459 and Hugh Daniel Drive, with engineering to begin Oct. 1.

The state also will add four lanes to the highway from Hugh Daniel to Eagle Point Parkway, bringing that stretch to eight lanes, Alabama Transportation Director Joe McInnes told the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

The widening of four miles from the interstate to Hugh Daniel will cost at least $12.5 million, said DOT Deputy Director Don Vaughn. The state owns the right of way.

"It's a low-cost improvement to provide a lot of improvement to traffic, with a minimum of disruptions," Vaughn said.

The state does not own right of way for the one-mile stretch to Eagle Point Parkway.

Service roads alongside 280 between the Cahaba River and Valleydale Road are on state right of way. Vaughn said DOT officials will not know until design work is completed how the widening will affect businesses along 280.

The widening work will probably be divided into three projects: from I-459 to Valleydale Road, from Valleydale to Hugh Daniel and from Hugh Daniel to Eagle Point, Vaughn said. Work will likely begin at I-459.

Vaughn said the bridge over the Cahaba River will either be replaced or widened.

"Once the engineering work begins Oct. 1, we can make some of these decisions on how to handle this project," Vaughn said. "We know we will have environmental issues.

"There are so many unknowns at this time, it's hard to predict how long the project will take," he said.

Widening was requested by the Progress 280 task force in April when it abandoned plans for a flyover at Alabama 119 and U.S. 280. Progress 280 is a group of politicians, business officials and citizens who advise DOT on U.S. 280 issues.

Barry Copeland, vice president of the chamber, said the widening is good news for the short term.

In the long term, more people and more development will come to the area and more vehicles will be on 280.

"The Progress 280 task force will look at the timeline and funding of the widening, but always with an eye toward a long-term solution," Copeland said.

Cahaba Village issues:

During the chamber meeting, Progress 280 members Della Fancher and Scotty McCallum, mayor of Vestavia Hills, asked McInnes to consider building an interchange on U.S. 280 at Rocky Ridge-Green Valley and Shades Crest roads.

The developer of the planned Cahaba Village development on U.S. 280 near the interchange has proposed closing Green Valley Road and routing traffic through his development, which is in Mountain Brook.

"We are opposed to the closing of Green Valley Road. It's a safety issue," McCallum said.

McInnes said closing the road is a local matter, and the developer's permit for a new access to U.S. 280 met state requirements.

"But if lawsuits that have been filed against the closing of Green Valley are successful, DOT will revoke the developer's permit," McInnes said.

Highway updates:

Here is the status of other Birmingham-area projects, according to McInnes:

I-22 (Corridor X): All lanes will be opened between Jasper and the Mississippi line before Thanksgiving. Within a few months, motorists on I-65 in Birmingham will see earth being moved to bring the corridor to I-65. Corridor X should be complete by 2011.

I-65 in Shelby County: Surveying is under way to add two lanes to the interstate from the Shelby County Airport to Valleydale Road.

I-59 at Trussville: A contract to repair the rough interstate surface from Trussville for 16½ miles into St. Clair County will be awarded in September.

I-459/280 flyover: Work should begin by November, or at the latest early next year, on the flyover from U.S. 280 westbound to I-459 south. The flyover will eliminate dangerous left turns from U.S. 280 to the interstate.

Northern beltline: It will be at least 18 months before work can begin on the road that is planned to complete the loop around Birmingham begun by I-459. There are problems with an environmental document that need to be cleared before construction can begin.

E-mail: gmacdonald@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jul 27, 2005, 3:12 PM
EchoBoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
I think this is an interesting project, conversion of a long-vacant church to condominiums in the Lakeview area:

(click on image to access larger version on Flickr)
About 1.5 years ago, I was in the Library archives getting some copies of "old-Birmingham" pictures for my office (they rape you for digital copies at $7.50 each ) and I spoke with the real-estate agent on her plans for that building (she was there getting old pictures of the church to assist them with the restoration.)

It's good to see it coming to fruition

Old Posted Jul 27, 2005, 7:23 PM
30,000 Feet and Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford
Quote:
Quote:
No, the new McDonald's will be on the same block with the new Captain D's. The Women's and Infant's Hospital was merely postponed for a short time after Children's Hospital backed out as a partner in the project. UAB still plans to build the facility.
Thats what i was saying.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2005, 7:04 PM

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=15115

On a list of the top 50 cleanest (and dirtiest) cities in the US, Birmingham is fifth from the bottom. Then again, the part that Birmingham is worst at, toxics and air, can be attributed to the steel industry and their pollution being trapped in the bowl of mountains.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2005, 8:17 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford
Quote:
Quote:
Thats what i was saying.
Sorry. I must have read the message that preceded your reply ("Any word about the progress of the proposed park at the current parking lot across from Kirklin Clinic? There definitely needs to be more green space around UAB and I think this proposal would be a terrific start."), somehow overlooked the quote you included, and thought you were saying the new McDonald's was going to be across from the new Kirklin Clinic...LOL!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2005, 8:32 PM
30,000 Feet and Climbing

Oh ok, thats cool. I wonder when they are gonna close Arby's on 6th?? There's no need for relocation because of the Arby's on 7th.

If they turn that into a park, what are they gonna do about the people who park there?? I assume it must cost less to park there than in the decks? It would be nice to put a park there, i can go and eat lunch outside instead of in the North Pavilion(when the weather permits such activities).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast