HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:43 AM

If DTP closed is that site large enough for an arena? What if Holiday Inn, 301Capitol Mall and 700K blocks were added? Still too small? Negotiations too far along at other sites?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:01 PM
Away since 06'

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
It's sad what the team has become, they look confused and green out
there ... this is the first year I'm regretting my season tickets.
Well put. It's not our fault that attendance is low. At least the Maloofs are getting the hint that ticket prices are way too high. I think a few years ago they were the second highest in the league. Now they are finally putting together a much needed "free hotdog or beer" package.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
If DTP closed is that site large enough for an arena? What if Holiday Inn, 301Capitol Mall and 700K blocks were added? Still too small? Negotiations too far along at other sites?
More that enough room..but DTP won't close. The very best thing (please if there is a god) Westfield would sell the dog.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:08 PM

Sacramento Kings Spotlight Of New Reality Show
By: Matthew Keys of FOX40 News

November 17, 2008

Arena seats at Sacramento Kings games won't be empty for long. That's the expectation of the Maloof Family and Mark Burnett Productions after announcing they have joined forces to launch a reality show focused around the local NBA basketball team.

"Rebuilding The Kingdom," the proposed name for the Sacramento Kings reality show, will focus on the basketball franchise as it undergoes a massive transformation. The show will profile both team and coaches while on the game trail as well as spotlight the challenges of running a NBA franchise.

"This project will be a unique experience for the television viewer," said Mark Burnett, producer of the new reality show. "We are committed to creating fun and innovative programming and with the Maloofs allowing this type of access to their organization, this is a great fit."

The Maloof Family seems equally pleased to be in the spotlight, especially during a time of controversial talks about continuing in Sacramento and arena deals. "We are honored at the opportunity to be a part of Mark Burnett's family of hits," said Phil Maloof, CEO of Maloof Television

Production on the show has not started, and a network has not yet been named for the new show.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:34 PM

I can't imagine ARCO leaving Natomas.

Whatever happened to that railyards location in Downtown? (sorry, I'm kinda new and don't keep up with all the news).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:17 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Sacramento Kings Spotlight Of New Reality Show
By: Matthew Keys of FOX40 News

November 17, 2008

Arena seats at Sacramento Kings games won't be empty for long. That's the expectation of the Maloof Family and Mark Burnett Productions after announcing they have joined forces to launch a reality show focused around the local NBA basketball team.

"Rebuilding The Kingdom," the proposed name for the Sacramento Kings reality show, will focus on the basketball franchise as it undergoes a massive transformation. The show will profile both team and coaches while on the game trail as well as spotlight the challenges of running a NBA franchise.

"This project will be a unique experience for the television viewer," said Mark Burnett, producer of the new reality show. "We are committed to creating fun and innovative programming and with the Maloofs allowing this type of access to their organization, this is a great fit."

The Maloof Family seems equally pleased to be in the spotlight, especially during a time of controversial talks about continuing in Sacramento and arena deals. "We are honored at the opportunity to be a part of Mark Burnett's family of hits," said Phil Maloof, CEO of Maloof Television

Production on the show has not started, and a network has not yet been named for the new show.
Interesting... This could bring a lot of attention to Sacramento, not to mention money (That is, if the Maloofs are getting paid for this). One would hope that if any additional money comes in to them from this show, they would invest it into a new arena... maybe just wishful thinking.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:12 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExile View Post
I can't imagine ARCO leaving Natomas.

Whatever happened to that railyards location in Downtown? (sorry, I'm kinda new and don't keep up with all the news).
It went to the voters a couple of years ago. The voters said no. The Railyards project is being worked on (it has its own thread) but there will be a large public park where they were tossing around the idea of an arena.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Building an arena in Sacramento costs 1 billion dollars.

How much did the Stockton arena cost?
According to Wikipedia, Stockton Arena cost $63 million dollars to build.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:58 PM

Well 1 billion vs 63 million... I think that answers your question as to why Stockton can build one and we are having a hard time.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 12:46 AM
Here we stAy

The Stockton arena could never support an NBA or NHL team either. Different market, different size, different economics. Not saying I agree with a $1 billion price tag, but I also don't think we should expect much less than $500k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
... but there will be a large public park where they were tossing around the idea of an arena.
I still think that area should have a large amphitheater to compete with Sleep Train, or whatever they call it now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:05 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExile View Post

It would have looked like this if it were going to happen, but it not... it's
either CalExpo or no deal. The Sonics left Seattle real quick when it became
obvious they were not getting a new arena.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:14 AM

I don't know, but I think the Kings won't be in Sac much longer. I'm just not optimistic that it will get done. Maybe I'm wrong..it's just been taking a long time and with the team not playing great, attendance down, the Maloofs not high on many Sac residents, with the price tag at 500 million dollars and a weak economy, this may turn into a situation like the Sonics.

Til then, I still plan to continue supporting the team

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:16 AM

A K Street arena would have been a dream location, or at least mine.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
The Sonics left Seattle real quick when it became
obvious they were not getting a new arena.
The whole time Bennett was threatening to leave Seattle, it was "New arena or else!". Remodel Key Arena? Bennett and Stern BOTH said it wasn't even an option.

Wouldn't you know it, the minute they leave, suddenly Stern thinks a remodeled Key Arena is a great idea.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:15 AM

In my opinion uncertain economic times is actually more of an excuse to stay in a proven market.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:44 AM

Thanks for answering my question everybody.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:29 AM

As much as I want a modern arena for Sacramento and keep the only top professional team in town,
at $1 billion dollars (if that is the real projected total), I don't think its worth it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:25 PM

$1 billion is well worth it, you have to look beyond it just being an arena. It's will transform the economic health and vitality of Cal Expo, Arden, and East Sac. It will also set a precedent for more urbanity in Arden since the plan is a urban village type setting (from what I understand) with public transportation.

Plus we can probably claim we built the most expensive professional sports complex in the world.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:32 PM

The Dallas Cowboys' new stadium is over a billion.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 8:35 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
...I also don't think we should expect much less than $500k.
Sweet! If that's all it is, I think I'll just go ahead and bite the bullet and finance it myself!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area