HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:49 PM

$$$$ is still the issue......

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:18 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
will not happen Maloofs want to redevelop the whole natomas site once the moratorium is lifted and of course when economy improves to support it, They will reap big $$$ one day......
redevelop the whole natomas site: couldnt that include a new arena, why not?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 11:51 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
$$$$ is still the issue......
OK, if $$$$ is an issue, then what will they build if they manage to get "enough" money?? The cheapest arena possible! Great... we'll be replacing it again in 20 more years.

If Sacramento can somehow get an architecturally significant, iconic, and well constructed arena... I think the civic pride and long-term utility we get from something like that will far outweigh the initial cost.

So basically, I would prefer to see Sacramento wait until a major investment can be made than the more likely outcome: building something that is "good enough" as soon as possible (which could still be a long time from now).

In my opinion the Germans have built some very well designed sports venues, for example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Arena_Pahu.jpg

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 7:49 PM

right now nothing can be built in natomas anyways......but maloofs are banking on selling that whole swath of land to developers one day and cashing in......

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 3:57 AM
NIMBY Hater

Mayor's task force to review nine arena plans

tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published Thursday, Dec. 24, 2009

Mayor Kevin Johnson's sports and entertainment task force announced Thursday evening it has received seven proposals in response to the mayor's recent request for developer interest in building a new Sacramento arena.

The proposals, delivered to a private downtown law firm by a 5 p.m. Christmas Eve deadline, include several for an arena at the railyards and other downtown sites.

Task force officials said they also will look at two other possibilities - renovating the existing Arco Arena, and reviewing an existing proposal at Cal Expo, which has been under discussion between state officials and the National Basketball Association.

"It shows there is a seriousness of purpose in how developers and other entities are approaching this," task force co-chairman Chris Lehane said Thursday.

The mayor made the request for submissions last month, saying Arco Arena, current home of the Sacramento Kings basketball team, is outdated and needs to be replaced. Johnson said he wants a sports and entertainment facility that would serve as a catalyst for other economic development nearby.

He assigned a volunteer citizen task force made up of developers, political advisors, financial experts, and labor and business representatives to review the proposals and submit an arena plan to him in March.

Task force officials declined Thursday to disclose who submitted proposals, saying they will review the documents in the coming days, and offer some details next week. The proposals will be made public at a task force "open house" Jan. 14.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 4:35 AM

$$$$$ is the key....

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 9:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published Thursday, Dec. 24, 2009

Mayor Kevin Johnson's sports and entertainment task force announced Thursday evening it has received seven proposals in response to the mayor's recent request for developer interest in building a new Sacramento arena.

The proposals, delivered to a private downtown law firm by a 5 p.m. Christmas Eve deadline, include several for an arena at the railyards and other downtown sites.

Task force officials said they also will look at two other possibilities - renovating the existing Arco Arena, and reviewing an existing proposal at Cal Expo, which has been under discussion between state officials and the National Basketball Association.

"It shows there is a seriousness of purpose in how developers and other entities are approaching this," task force co-chairman Chris Lehane said Thursday.

The mayor made the request for submissions last month, saying Arco Arena, current home of the Sacramento Kings basketball team, is outdated and needs to be replaced. Johnson said he wants a sports and entertainment facility that would serve as a catalyst for other economic development nearby.

He assigned a volunteer citizen task force made up of developers, political advisors, financial experts, and labor and business representatives to review the proposals and submit an arena plan to him in March.

Task force officials declined Thursday to disclose who submitted proposals, saying they will review the documents in the coming days, and offer some details next week. The proposals will be made public at a task force "open house" Jan. 14.
Volunteer Citizen Task force to do the job, because our tax dollars going to other city officials who are not doing their job? More articles about plans for Arena's? Wake me up when there is an article about Arena construction, actual building.... If I am still alive by then. Sick and tired of reading the same old articles about Sacramento's "Big Plans".

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 6:08 AM

Also wake me up when there is real construction in the railyards.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Sacramento arena proposals unveiled
ShareThis
Buzz up!
By Tony Bizjak
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published: Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2009 - 10:28 am
Last Modified: Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2009 - 12:08 pm
Downtown railyard owner Thomas Enterprises heads a list of seven development teams that have submitted proposals to build a new sports and entertainment arena in Sacramento.
The list, published today by Mayor Kevin Johnson's arena task force, includes two proposals to build an arena in the downtown railyards.

In addition to the Thomas plan, a team headed by a local developer, The Kamilos Company, is proposing building an arena on a slice of city-owned land in the front of the railyards, next to the current downtown train depot.

Two submissions call for siting an arena in the heart of downtown. Tripp Development would place an arena at 3rd and L streets, at the current site of a city parking garage. Ali Mackani proposes an arena at the east end of the current Westfield Downtown Plaza shopping mall on K Street.

M&M Group, led by Matt Haines, proposes an arena along the Sacramento River, south of the Embassy Suites hotel, in what city planners call the Docks area.

Doug Tatara has submitted a proposal for an arena at Cal Expo. And Natomas ESC Partners proposes an arena on the city-owned 100 acres adjacent to the existing Arco Arena.
The task force is scheduled to make details of the proposals available to the public at its Jan. 14 meeting. Mayor Johnson has asked the task force to vet the proposals, and bring him an arena plan by March.
Link

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 5:18 AM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:06 PM
Kodachrome

So these Tripp Development guys must have realized the day before the
deadline that they better get started so in ten minutes or so they whipped
up this joke of a proposal on a downtown map. It’s even more bizarre that
The Towers are included as a segment of the development… that alone
shows to me they have no clue about what has not happen downtown in
the last three years. Also, why would they also include a deck over the
freeway that was cancelled earlier this year?

One down six to go…

Last edited by innov8; Dec 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:50 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

If you folks at Tripp Development are reading this, get at me and I'll teach you a little about using Adobe Illustrator and 3d modeling with Rhino or Maya, you chose, but holy crap you need to stop it with the ball point pen! Welcome to the 21st century guys!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 11:10 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

I realize how far fetched and absurd this proposal is, but in a perfect world I think it would be a pretty awesome scenario. Though, it does require somewhat of an imagination to really comprehend what they are describing with the chicken scratch rendering.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 6:40 AM
Hindrance to Development

http://www.sacgrandjury.org/reports/...JuryReport.pdf

I found Pages 65-70 to be a pretty interesting recap of past development attempts to build an arena.

Last edited by wburg; Dec 31, 2009 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacgrandjury.org
If the City and County of Sacramento want a first class entertainment facility, then build it. Build it with public funds, e.g., redevelopment funds, bonds, etc., and let the City and County of Sacramento derive the revenue stream. Make the facility a truly first class facility that can handle big name entertainment and other events. Let the facility be a draw to Sacramento and surrounding communities on a year round basis. If the private sector wants to participate, then make a deal, such as swapping the current undersize convention center in return for private participation. Stop worrying about the Kings.
Thanks for the link, lotta interesting stuff in there. Imagine what 70 million would do for the city itself; parks, streetscape improvements, streetcar, etc. Why keep trying to throw taxpayer money at the Maloofs hoping to buy their loyalty to Sac?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 4:44 AM

Quote:
If a sports and entertainment complex is indeed built in Sacramento, transportation officials say, it ought to do more than just keep the Kings in town.

The arena, they say, could and should be a game-changer for basketball fans and concert-goers – the first spot in the region where people arrive on trains, en masse.

"It has to take advantage of existing rail," transportation consultant Wendy Hoyt insisted of any new arena.

Mike McKeever, head of SACOG, the region's transportation planning agency, concurs.

Transit leaders already plan to add more commute trains, light-rail lines and even streetcars in the next decade to give Sacramento a linked transit web.

"A facility this major should be planned with that in mind," McKeever said. "It's where the future of the region is going."

Put another way, it would be dumb to build an arena most people can get to only by car.

Seven arena proposals have surfaced in response to Mayor Kevin Johnson's call for help in replacing antiquated Arco Arena. Five are in downtown.

Assistant City Manager John Dangberg likes one particular downtown railyard site – the one next to a light-rail station and the train depot.

"That is just such a convenience factor for fans," Dangberg said.

The timing could be right, he said, for a sports and entertainment center to be built seamlessly with the city's planned train depot expansion at that site.

Two proposed arena sites at Downtown Plaza also are near light rail and the train depot. A proposed arena along the Sacramento River, south of Old Sacramento, is a bit more distant.

One proposal is for an arena at the existing Arco site. To date, the only way to get there has been by car. Officials plan to build a light-rail line with a station a block away, connecting to downtown and the airport, but that seems unlikely to happen before 2017.

Another arena proposal is for the Cal Expo site. That area is vaguely slated for a streetcar someday connected to light rail.

But car access to an arena remains critical. Even if the region's rail movement takes off, most people still will choose to come to events via car.

The existing Arco site seems best suited for those people, with its freeway access and parking.

Car traffic is more of a problem at Cal Expo because of the clogged Capital City Freeway there.

But a downtown arena site wouldn't be nearly as harsh for drivers, experts say, as some fans fear.

Parking garages already are there, largely empty at night. And street parking. An arena in the railyard would be served by new roads connecting to an enlarged Richards Boulevard I-5 interchange, officials say.

But the bottom line, McKeever and others say, is that the next arena, if built, must be done in a way that makes rail real.
Link

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:57 AM
Kodachrome

I heard today that the plan by Tripp Development was withdrawn from the
arena proposals. I also got to see one of the proposals by Ali Mackani and Team
for the downtown mall it was vary cool. It would demo all four blocks of the
east end of the mall and put the arena in there with shopping on three sides
of the arena. The Mall would be several levels with roof top gardens for the
public to enjoy. The expected cost was estimated to be $500 million but
I would put it closer to $700 million with all the demo and other stuff involved.

It's a fantastic proposal but I find it unlikely to be chosen or built.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 8:09 AM

Quote:
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ―
Rick Tripp has submitted a unique proposal for a downtown sports arena to the city that wouldn't cost taxpayers a dime.

A local man has released his proposal for a new Sacramento arena in downtown that wouldn't cost taxpayers a dime.

Real estate veteran Rick Tripp would be the first to tell you he's not a big-time developer, but he has a privately-financed plan for a new court for the Sacramento Kings that would go up on the corner of 3rd Street and L Street, which is now part of the Westfield Mall.

Tripp's idea would put the money from thousands of real estate deals to work. Once any property -- residential or business -- is sold or leased in the area, the real estate broker would give up a six percent commission to build the arena, and the participating brokers would actually own the arena.

"I think we can access that revenue stream, apply it to what needs to happen here to make downtown Sacramento what it should be," Tripp said.

Using Tripp's numbers, a $400 million arena would take the commissions of more than 22,000 real estate deals.

How many real estate brokers would be willing to give up a piece of their commissions to pay for an arena? Sacramento real estate broker Dave Herrera said the rough economy makes that unlikely.

"For those that are still in the industry, there are less deals out there," Herrera said. "Commissions have dropped 40 to 50 percent across the board."

The details of Tripp's plan will be unveiled along with six other proposals submitted to the city's arena task force next week.
Link

lol yeah right...next..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 5:57 AM
Kodachrome

Arena Sports and Entertainment Concepts

Tonight’s arena presentations at City Hall were inspiring. Of the seven original
proposals submitted to City Hall last month, three stood out in my mind as
having potential to take the next step if funding can be found. Because
there were so many renderings to post and I’m short on time for the next
couple days, I’ll post one or two of the proposals till I get them all up.
Tripp Development was the only proposal that did not display any visuals or
hand out any info on their proposal. They did make a seven minute
presentation talking about the cities goals and ideas to obtain financing,
but that was about it.

I’ll start with one that was called the Sacramento Riverfront Entertainment &
Sports Complex by M & M Group who was energized with both renderings and
ideas to gain financing to move forward. I personally think this one is a
no-go since the city just approved another Dock's development at the site
and the developer still has three years to start construction
before their permits expire. The M & M Group ideas also include an electric
Trolley that runs from Front Street up R Street to 19th Street as well as a
RT Entertainment Trolley line that swings up Broadway and over to midtown
and then back to the proposed arena. Although some parking will be built
next to the structure, most parking and will rely on people to park at already
existing parking structures downtown and then take the Trolley to the
arena. I love the idea of an arena on the river but I just don’t feel it with
this one. Here’s a link to learn more about the proposal and their financing
ideas estimated at $750 million www.arenaontheriver.com .

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:54 AM

Way too much green in that rendering wtf is that a golf course?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area