HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Gotham Ottawa in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:59 PM

It would certainly help to modernize that portion of centertown and the skyline...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
why does your quote say 'behemoth' where the article says 'structure'?

17 stories in this neighbourhood is hardly a behemoth haha. bronson place and the queen elizabeth towers are the behemoths around there, and i welcome any development that blocks the view of them from any angle.
It would help if it were asthetically pleasing - IMO that building is hideous. It will look dated faster than the Mondrian, and the Mondrian already looks twice its age. Modern, style-of-the-moment designs should be reserved for smaller buildings or houses, not 17 storey condos in downtown. I'm all for densifying downtown, but let's make sure our new condo building look nice for longer than 4 years.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:15 PM

Council gave the green light today for this project.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 9:54 PM

good to hear! it's only 17 stories but it will still add a lot to the skyline from the 417. it's not as pretty as hudson park by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a lot prettier than what's behind it...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 12:33 AM

That's fantastic to hear! I agree that it will add to the west end of downtown's skyline when viewed from the 417...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:18 PM

From Monday's Ottawa Business Journal [SmartEdition]:

Quote:
Fortress and Lamb Development Corp. are working together on the SoBa project, with each chipping in capital costs. This is their second such agreement since starting work on the Gotham, a 17storey, 240-unit building at the intersection of Lyon and Gloucester streets that will be finished in 2012

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:34 PM

If the gotham is to be done in 2012 would construction not have to start soon?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:55 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
If the gotham is to be done in 2012 would construction not have to start soon?
It would have to be almost finished soon ;-)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 5:34 PM

I walked by today and it looks like something has started along Lyon!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:46 AM

It is the sales center on Lyon that is being built. They plan to dig in the spring.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 4:11 PM

Floor plans are up on their website. The Glasshouses look awesome.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 7:08 PM

Does anyone think sales will be good for this project?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
It is the sales center on Lyon that is being built. They plan to dig in the spring.
Aha. I was wondering what that platform was for. Should have guessed it was the sales centre. I don't think anyone in the neighbourhood will mourn the houses they'll be knocking down. They've been going to seed for years. I think the former owners made most of their money by renting the backyards out as parking.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
Aha. I was wondering what that platform was for. Should have guessed it was the sales centre. I don't think anyone in the neighbourhood will mourn the houses they'll be knocking down. They've been going to seed for years. I think the former owners made most of their money by renting the backyards out as parking.
That's for sure. They were actually nice buildings in the day (60 years ago) with the original builders making these 5 bedroom homes for each brother and their family. Those Lyon houses were bought with the intent to package with the Gloucester properties. Bought cheap and renovated into 2 3bdrms and 2 1bdrms they were very profitable and a huge acquisition in the grand scheme of things. The parking is now being managed by Lamb, but there are not as many as before.

Not sad to see them go. The parking was profitable but it was time to move on and get into something else. I know that LambDevCorp reported initial sales were strong so we'll see. We inquired over the years about getting higher than 13 floors becaue that was the zoning. We were told absolutely not but I gues in this densification of downtown it got passed very quickly!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:09 PM

glass houses/gotham condos

they are going to look cool, and also feel cool! Glass condos may work (sorta) in Vancouver, but here they are going to be very cold, or very expensive to keep warm no matter how good the glass is.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
they are going to look cool, and also feel cool! Glass condos may work (sorta) in Vancouver, but here they are going to be very cold, or very expensive to keep warm no matter how good the glass is.
They work fine in Ottawa. Have lived in several and have never been cold. Apartments are inherently more efficient than single-family homes. Last time I looked at a budget the natural gas bill (for heating and hot water) was a very small percentage (less than 10%) of my condo fees.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:39 PM

I've always thought dealing with heat on a sunny day would be more of a challenge, especially with the trend towards having only one tiny awning window on a huge glass curtain wall.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 4:40 PM

So I've been lurking on these forums for a few months but this is my first time posting .

The sales office launches this evening and if it's not crazy busy, I'm going to try and take some photos of the model suite as I have to drop some paperwork off anyway.

I bought a 602 square foot 1br+den unit in this building in early September. It was a very impromptu purchase, my co-worker saw the sign for the place and told me about it on the Friday before Labor Day weekend and by Tuesday, I had signed the papers. I work very close by to this building (pretty much a block away) and I'd been looking for something similar internally to the loft style of the Mondrian, Central, or the East Market, so it's really quite perfect for me.

The glasshouses are amazing but they're definitely wayyyy out of my price range. I like the lofthouses but they waste a lot of space and aren't really worth it for the markup in price. My layout isn't my favourite one but I think it's the best one in my price range - it makes the best use of the space (aside from the pillar).

Anyway, if I manage to snag some photos tonight, I'll try to post them here.

Last edited by jcphoenix; Oct 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post
So I've been lurking on these forums for a few months but this is my first time posting .

The sales office launches this evening and if it's not crazy busy, I'm going to try and take some photos of the model suite as I have to drop some paperwork off anyway.

I bought a 602 square foot 1br+den unit in this building in early September. It was a very impromptu purchase, my co-worker saw the sign for the place and told me about it on the Friday before Labor Day weekend and by Tuesday, I had signed the papers. I work very close by to this building (pretty much a block away) and I'd been looking for something similar internally to the loft style of the Mondrian, Central, or the East Market, so it's really quite perfect for me.

The glasshouses are amazing but they're definitely wayyyy out of my price range. I like the lofthouses but they waste a lot of space and aren't really worth it for the markup in price. My layout isn't my favourite one but I think it's the best one in my price range - it makes the best use of the space (aside from the pillar).

Photos??

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 8:12 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post

*looks at username*

.....Umm.....
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa