HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Oh dear. A bit of a mess. Really think they could lose Building 1 and preserve more of the little square out front.
Wait, aren't you the guy who usually opposes any open space?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Wait, aren't you the guy who usually opposes any open space?
Most deliberatly planned new "open space" is utter crap, yes.

I like small, intimate, "punctuating" ones, like Minto Park or Dundonald, or like this one could be. I like my open spaces, um, closed - tightly hemmed in with unopen space. I.e., buildings. In this case, I'd like to see the front-facing projection of the former church kept as a space.

I don't like pointless, rambling open spaces for open-space's sake, or monumental, "national significance" garbage like the NCC imagines it's in charge of.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 5:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

ModBox unveils plans for St. Charles Church
Development to house nine townhouses and 30 condos

By Alex Robinson
Ottawa East News, May 30, 2015

Developer ModBox has unveiled its preliminary plans to transform the St. Charles Church into a new retail hub with boutique vendors, surrounded by public space and a residential building.

The developer hopes to reinvigorate the heritage building with a mixed-use development in same the vein of Toronto’s distillery district, said architect Andrew Reeves.

“The idea is to maintain and celebrate what it has always been. Obviously it won’t have its religious connection any more, but we hope it will be a space where people will still come to gather,” he said in an interview.

“It’s got a mix of everything which I think is interesting … It can hopefully be a celebrated common space that people from all areas can congregate and meet.”

The exterior of the Vanier church would remain largely untouched, as three of its facades are protected by heritage designation. The inside of the church would have a restaurant near the altar, with 500 to 600-square-feet modules for food vendors around it.

An independent building, which will have townhouses and condos, will wrap around the church, two storeys lower than the church’s bell tower, so that it will remain visible from all sides. Reeves said the residential units are expected to include nine townhouses and 30 condos – ranging from 700 to 3,000 square feet.

“We’re trying to get a good range of demographics and different price points,” he said.

In the bottom floor of the residential building will be a coffee shop with a patio on Beechwood Avenue.

The work inside the church will also include opening of the floor and adding an internal stair case that will provide access to the basement, where more retail will be.

Outside, there will be two patios, one to serve the restaurant, and the other for the general public. There will also be a public square outside that Reeves is hoping will be home to a weekly farmer’s market.

ModBox bought the church back in December for $4 million from the archdiocese of Ottawa.

The developer is seeking to rezone the property for the residential, retail and restaurant uses. ModBox unveiled its preliminary plans at a community meeting to receive feedback on May 20 and is set to hold another meeting in June after it submits its application to the city.

The developers expect that including approval processes and permits, the development will be built by the end of 2018.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...harles-church/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:

I like small, intimate, "punctuating" ones, like Minto Park or Dundonald, or like this one could be. I like my open spaces, um, closed - tightly hemmed in with unopen space. I.e., buildings. In this case, I'd like to see the front-facing projection of the former church kept as a space.

I don't like pointless, rambling open spaces for open-space's sake, or monumental, "national significance" garbage like the NCC imagines it's in charge of.
Well said!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:

Even with Building 1, doesn't the open space remaining meet your criteria? It is small, intimate and hemmed in with buildings.

At what point does a small intimate space become open and rambling?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 5:19 PM

"In the bottom floor of the residential building will be a coffee shop with a patio on Beechwood Avenue."

Why am I not surprised ?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Even with Building 1, doesn't the open space remaining meet your criteria? It is small, intimate and hemmed in with buildings.

At what point does a small intimate space become open and rambling?
It's a little too small. I'd like to see the frontward projection of the church building kept as a square.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:14 AM

They have a website: http://stcharlesmarket.ca/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

135 Barrette St. (Marché St. Charles Market) | 25.7m | 8 fl | Proposed

The proposal has now been submitted to the City:

Linebox is proposing to construct an eight (8) storey mixed-use building incorporating and refurbishing the existing church heritage building. The project will include 38 residential dwelling units, 2,134 square metres of retail and restaurant space at-grade, and a 629 square metre landscaped plaza at the corner of Beechwood and St. Charles Street. Units within the building are larger than many condominium projects currently on the market in an effort to appeal to families and others seeking the amenities and convenience of a condominium, but with significant floor space. The larger units will provide a different form of housing that is currently in the area, contributing to the choice and opportunity for residents.

At grade, the proposed development highlights and features the church heritage building, framing the view from Beechwood Avenue and creating a large public space in front of the church. The large plaza will be multi-functional, providing opportunities for an outdoor market, concerts, festivals, and other passive or active recreation. Variation in seating area and plantings will make the plaza a truly interesting public space for the benefit of the entire community. Included within this open space is a 311 square metre City of Ottawa park. The City park space has been integrated within the larger open space, to provide one cohesive public realm experience.

Retail uses including a coffee house and restaurant/market uses within the church building will activate the public space, spilling out into the plaza and creating a comfortable environment along the mainstreet. Along Barrette Street, ground floor residential units will front on the street, interfacing with the residential lots across the street.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__01LEYI

Renderings:

Site plans:

Cross sections:

Last edited by rocketphish; Feb 2, 2016 at 1:02 AM. Reason: Uploaded more imagery

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:39 PM

Yikes.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 7:23 PM

Jesus. Why would anybody build this? Even just the colours alone look like a paint by numbers.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:27 PM

I'm a fan. Large condo units aren't something they seem to build a lot of here. And a little colour is exactly what the majority of streets in Ottawa need.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:36 PM

^This looks like a prison.... Or a parking garage on steroids.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:36 PM
Living With My Mother

I kind of like it. It's got a bit of a UQAM look about it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:59 PM

It looks like something I'd build with my kids in Minecraft.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 9:25 PM

I think it looks awesome, though to blend in better it should probably be entirely clad in beige vinyl siding.

Definately a neat addition to the neighbourhood!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 10:20 PM

I actually like the bright colours on the commercial Beechwood side of the buildings. The coloured windows evoke the stained glass of the church and, when backlit, will likely be welcome during the winter months.

The Barrette side of the structure is much more subdued and is more in keeping with the residential neighbourhood.

I also like that they are using the inside of the church as a market. I wonder what they'll do with the jail in the basement of the church? The "Ordre de Jacques Cartier", a secret society, would imprison "non-conforming" members of the French community in that jail.

Link to info on l' Ordre de Jacques Cartier: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordre_de_Jacques-Cartier

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 11:51 PM

Oh dear gentle flying spaghetti monster; what in the name of all that is holy and most that is profane is that piece of garbitecture?

For once, NIMBY International, you have my blessing if you want to go to war against... whatever the hell that is.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
It looks like something I'd build with my kids in Minecraft.
Everyone go home; Capital Shaun won SkyscraperPage.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanier View Post
I actually like the bright colours on the commercial Beechwood side of the buildings. The coloured windows evoke the stained glass of the church and, when backlit, will likely be welcome during the winter months.

The Barrette side of the structure is much more subdued and is more in keeping with the residential neighbourhood.

I also like that they are using the inside of the church as a market. I wonder what they'll do with the jail in the basement of the church? The "Ordre de Jacques Cartier", a secret society, would imprison "non-conforming" members of the French community in that jail.

Link to info on l' Ordre de Jacques Cartier: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordre_de_Jacques-Cartier
Is there any evidence of the jail anymore? A tour (if ever possible) would make a wonderful highlight for a Jane's Walk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa