HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 2:11 AM
~Hook'em~

Texas Politics

I was going to post this in the Austin Election thread, but then thought maybe Texas has a politics thread. I did a quick search for one and didn't see one (but then I did the same thing with my redistricting thread and didn't see wwmiv's thread right below mine, lol). Anyway, I'll make one if there is one someone can lock it or move my post there.

There is going to be a lot of politics going on this coming 15 months until the next elections. Our gov might run for president, our Lt. Gov might go for the US Senate, lots of new districts being made, and other stuff. Here is an odd look at some possibilities. Pretty scary if you ask me.

[There is a video in the link you can watch the report]

http://austin.ynn.com/content/politi...next-governor-
Quote:
On the Agenda: Will the Texas Senate pick the next governor?
By: Harvey Kronberg

Commentary: The 82nd Legislature has barely left town and we are already in the 2012 campaign season.

With the governor and lieutenant governor considering higher offices, the game of musical chairs is already starting.

Add four new congressional districts to the mix and every political wannabe in the state is making calls to see if they have any support.

Throw in a bunch of newly drawn legislative districts and you have a stampede. Finally, add a handful of state senators and representatives retiring and you have a veritable free for all.

It’s a target rich environment for those of who cover the never-ending story of Texas politics.

But just in case you think you have seen it all, consider this possibility.

Gov. Rick Perry runs for national office and wins. Lt. Governor David Dewhurst would then become governor. But, most people think that the lieutenant governor will run for the United States Senate. Let’s presume Dewhurst wins.

Who then becomes Governor?

Well, when then Lt. Gov. Perry replaced George Bush as governor back in 2002, the Senate picked a new presiding officer.

The same thing would happen again if there was a vacancy this time. The Senate would pick a new presiding officer who effectively becomes the lieutenant governor.

But wait, it gets better. The new presiding officer of the Senate would be next in succession to become governor. If Perry becomes president or vice president and Dewhurst becomes a United States Senator, 16 of the 31 Texas Senators--a simple majority--will pick their presiding officer who by default becomes the next Texas governor, serving the remaining two years of the term.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 5:56 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I think that Texas has had the most interesting session of any state this year. There was a lot of regression worth noting. Things may become even more high profile thanks to our governor and unusual senate race.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 3:57 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-...d-1625736.html
Quote:
Dewhurst announces Senate bid
Lieutenant governor enters crowded field to succeed Hutchison.

By Jason Embry

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 10:00 p.m. Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst formally launched his campaign for the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, promising a run that would be "straightforward, unapologetically conservative and as serious as the problems we face."

Dewhurst informed supporters of his long expected entry into the race with an email and nearly four-minute Web video. He enters a crowded field of Republican candidates who hope to replace retiring Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison next year.

Dewhurst announced his run to supporters with an email titled, "Let's bring Texas values and conservative principles to Washington."

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 11:24 PM
~Hook'em~

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 5:16 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-...r-1629476.html
Quote:
Land commissioner announces candidacy for lieutenant governor
Patterson could face ag commissioner and state comptroller in race.

By Tim Eaton

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 8:08 p.m. Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson late Tuesday became the first person to officially announce a candidacy for lieutenant governor in 2014.

Patterson's late-night entrance into the race came after GOP Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst's long-awaited announcement Tuesday in which he said he'll run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchison. Dewhurst's move breaks a logjam at the top of Texas' political pyramid that had left some statewide elected officials waiting years for a chance to move up in the state's political hierarchy.

"I'm an Aggie, a veteran, a gun owner and a Texan that doesn't like being told that government knows best," Patterson said in a news release. "I'm not some carefully crafted candidate managed by handlers and consultants. I say what I mean and do what I say. That is my only platform."

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 4:37 AM
Dryer lint inspector

hopefully the legislature won't have to pick a new governor as Perry would be trounced in any presidential election.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:57 AM
~Hook'em~

So the new map was released yesterday. No surprise, Austin area still does not get a district of which the voter base is from the Austin area. It breaks Travis County into 5 parts all parts having the bulk of the voter base well away from Austin.

10- From Seton and 35th Street north with the triangle and Domain belong to Houston.

17- North Austin north of Duval goes out to College Station and all of Waco and will be represented by a Republican from that hell hole known as aggieland.

21- West Campus, Downtown and South Austin will be in District 21 which is a San Antonio, Fredericksburg-Kerrville District. For those that don't know that is the one Lamar Smith of San Antonio now holds. Yes so now UT, Downtown Austin, and South Austin will be represented by the jackass who created SOPA!

I find this very funny because he is currently representing me in Westlake and when the SOPA stuff happened I actually talked to him and told him I was going to do everything in my power to get him out of office. Now he will no longer represent Westlake. lol. I'm have no doubt I had nothing to do with that, but I kind of like telling myself it might.

25- East Austin (North of 7th St), Capitol area DT, UT Campus, Hyde Park and West Lake now belong to Fort Worth. This is Lloyd Dogget's District. This will now become a Republican District that dumps all of the minority votes in Austin and Ft Worth so they can have their nice safe white districts and at the same time get rid of Austin's Demecrat Lloyd Dogget in favor of a Ft Worth Republican African American Michael Williams.

35- East Austin (South of 7th), St. Eds, South Park Meadows area, ABIA / COTA belong to Downtown SA. This is a brand new district that we got from the latest census and the one district in Austin that will likely be a Democrat from San Antonio.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:45 AM

I currently live in D-25 under Doggett. I would belong to the new D-35 if this map becomes the law of the land. It's completely disgusting what they have done to Austin's population base! These districts are going to put Austin with Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio voters, whom I think we all can agree Austin voters have NOTHING in common with! Disgusting.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:50 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I currently live in D-25 under Doggett. I would belong to the new D-35 if this map becomes the law of the land. It's completely disgusting what they have done to Austin's population base! These districts are going to put Austin with Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio voters, whom I think we all can agree Austin voters have NOTHING in common with! Disgusting.
Look at the new US Congressional Districts closer.....

Harris county has 9 districts. 4 of these districts are entirely within the county, 2 of these are minority designed districts.
Dallas-Tarrant counties have 9 districts. 2 of these districts are entirely within both counties, both are minority designed districts.
Bexar county has 5 districts. Only District 20 is entirely within the county. It's a minority designed district.
Travis county has 5 districts. District 35 is the smallest in size (land), which follows I-35 into Bexar county.

What I'm trying to show is for Travis county to warrant a single district entirely within it, it'll need sufficient minority population to create one.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:32 PM
~Hook'em~

Austin has 800,000 minorities (46% of the population). Ideal district size is 700,000.

Lack of minorities is not the reason they break Austin into a zillion districts and give a bunch of little parts of Austin to far off cities. Not allowing us to have the bulk of the voter base of any of districts. If they wanted to allow Austin to have a district in which the bulk of that district were from Austin they could. But they don't and they wont.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:58 AM

We all know the reason that the Republican-controlled legislature went gerrymander crazy on Travis County: our voting habits. That and the fact that they are just drooling to oust Doggett whom is probably the most liberal congressman out of this state.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 2:07 PM

I don't know if an amendment to our state constitution would do it, but there is no reason for counties to be split up with multiple districts if they can handle a full district or more than one. In fact all these counties can handle all these districts without leaving the County

Travis - 1 District
Bexar - 2 Districts
Tarrant - 2 Districts
Dallas - 3 Districts
Harris - 5 Districts

The Austin-to-San Antonio District is ridiculous and laughable. At least it is ironically CD-35 as it travels between the two cities via I-35

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:13 PM

Follow the Texas money-- 2012 Presidential Election

http://texasleftist.blogspot.com/201...sidential.html

Quote:
Take a look at how Obama and Romney have faired in Texas (as of Feb. 29th)...

West Texas/ Panhandle
Obama- $88,520.00
Romney- $106,150.00

Central Texas
Obama- $323,587.00
Romney- $362,508.00

South/Central Texas (including Austin and San Antonio)
Obama- $1,419,967.00
Romney- $419,208.00

Southeastern Texas (including Houston)
Obama- $1,058,188.00
Romney- $1,998,380.00

Northeastern Texas (including Dallas and Ft. Worth)
Obama- $1,178,927.00
Romney- $960,873.00

Texas Total
Obama- $4,069,189.00
Romney- $3,847,119.00

A few quick things to note...

-53% of Obama's donations come from donors giving $200 or less. For Romney that's a mere 12% of the total.

-58% of Romney's donors gave the maximum of $2500. That means that Romney has far less donors overall, but they give BIG. For Obama only 20% of his donors have given the maximum so far.

-These are official campaign dollars and don't account for spending by the Obama or Romney SuperPACs.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral