HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:53 PM

Looks rather institutional to me ... which it is. I dont feel a wow with the design. It is the bare minimum they could do for efficient cost design I guess.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 12:52 AM
Community Guy

You could not be more wrong.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 1:34 AM

I know the inside is better - but the exterior form being square square square lacks any interesting form or the choice of materials (precast concrete) makes it look quite boring. Originally it was to be stone...tyndall stone. Alas we have precast concrete that was bleeding water the other day quite badly on the front West walls when I was by.

The AI website still says "installation of stone"... paragraph 2:
http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca/3654.htm

Donna Clare responded as per C2E and Moahunter thus: "Donna Clare: The proposed exterior material palette is a combination of precast concrete panels and glass. The intent is to incorporate relief work into the concrete panels to embody stories of the museum and Alberta into the very fabric of the building."
15-09-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/archi...-2727-p-5.html

So we have pre-concrete...and some glass windows.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 3:32 AM

Anyone have a picture of the north side?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 4:12 AM
Community Guy

Go back a few pages.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 5:26 PM
HVAC guru

It is a little institutional but I do think it will age with grace at least, unlike many other new projects we've seen in he past while

The north side is a giant blank wall of course. It's quite disappointing

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 7:06 PM

Yea I had a look, disappointing.

I hope they green the north wall or something, vines..trees... something.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 7:13 PM
Community Guy

Green a north wall... Caution.

^^concur, it will age well.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 8:01 PM

Precast concrete does not age "well" - that implies it might develop a patina or some other attribute. One need only look at the panels on the Courthouse across the road to see the rust pouring out of the panels...and zero maintenance done to remove it or protect the concrete panels. The Remand Centre is plagued with similar staining.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:39 AM

My recent experience is nicely finished (and consistent) precast isn't much (if any) cost savings over the limestone that was originally Spec'd. And if it's 'bleeding water' right now then it is an installation issue, not a product issue.
There is a big difference between the precast used in the 70's / 80's with what is available now. Building science has also improve considerably.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buk View Post
My recent experience is nicely finished (and consistent) precast isn't much (if any) cost savings over the limestone that was originally Spec'd. And if it's 'bleeding water' right now then it is an installation issue, not a product issue.
There is a big difference between the precast used in the 70's / 80's with what is available now. Building science has also improve considerably.
That is what I thought after a good look from the parking area - installation issue. The Dialog CA would not know that unless they saw what it looked like after that rain dump we had. As to building science ... it has - but not in the design of the panels and clip systems or we would not have that water issue. I was looking online to see whats new in terms of additives in concrete panels and although there is some new additives used in the US - I have no idea where these panels for this project came from. If local - likely no new tech introduced at Kruger or where ever they were produced.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
You could not be more wrong.
really?

then, if not for cost, why are they precast concrete panels and not still tyndall stone?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:45 PM

The new RAM doesn't compare favourably appearance-wise with the Royal BC or the Manitoba Museum IMHO. Which is a poor reflection on the province as a whole, especially considering our wealth and population. Its best asset is the absolutely perfect location, and truly completing the Churchill Square area.

Really, when you think about it, between having the Citadel Theatre, Winspear Centre, City Hall, the square, the library, the AGA, the mall, and now the RAM in that small area, is there any more impressive block or two of entertainment and culture anywhere else in the country?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 6:49 PM
Community Guy

^I dunno, I mean yes Tyndal should have been the material, but I find the new RAM more pleasing than this mess.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...seum_Front.jpg

As for the Human Rights Museum, it certainly is a striking design from a distance, but also somewhat underwhelming and not inviting from up close.

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/i...S1_1680854.jpg

I found the that the new War Museum was the same way, very cool from far, not great from up close. That said, the interior was well done.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...57d132f155.jpg

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...-Museum-02.jpg

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 6:59 PM

You are referring to the "design" ... not the material in the BC museum. That they choose to use small form pieces of Tyndall stone and some concrete panels is a design feature. Maybe the design is rather - excessively complicated. The design of RAM would not have changed and the Tyndall stone would have been large format like the concrete panels - and would have looked infinitely better and "weathered" better than concrete as we know from buildings that are hundreds of years old. I bet the savings to ditch the Tyndall was minuscule over all considering this building is intended to last 100 years plus.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 11:39 PM

Haven't seen it in person, but looks pretty damn nice in the photos posted here. Doesn't have the wow factor of ROM but who cares. It's a simple classy building with lots of inviting glass at street level facing 103a ave (or 104 or whatever it's called there). To say this is a poor reflection on the province may just be the exaggeration of the year...which is saying something considering the relentless nit picking that goes on on this forum lol. This is a museum... Which means children will be forced to go here and some adults may choose to go here to be mildly entertained. What will make this building a true success will be the programming and ability to host travelling exhibitions the old RAM couldn't... From a tourism stand point, a flashier building probably would have been beneficial, but changing the exterior finishing would not be enough to make this a WOW building regcognizable world over... But as is, it's still an awesome addition to Churchill square/arena district/Chinatown. And...come on now... At least we got rid of the bloody post office!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 12:03 AM

I said the Manitoba Museum, not the Museum of Human Rights which also happens to be in Winnipeg (I brought up the Royal BC and the Manitoba Museum because those are the rough equivalents of the RAM)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 12:55 AM
Community Guy

^^the addition to the ROM ain't good unless you experience it from Bloor.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
Haven't seen it in person, but looks pretty damn nice in the photos posted here. Doesn't have the wow factor of ROM but who cares. It's a simple classy building with lots of inviting glass at street level facing 103a ave (or 104 or whatever it's called there). To say this is a poor reflection on the province may just be the exaggeration of the year...which is saying something considering the relentless nit picking that goes on on this forum lol. This is a museum... Which means children will be forced to go here and some adults may choose to go here to be mildly entertained. What will make this building a true success will be the programming and ability to host travelling exhibitions the old RAM couldn't... From a tourism stand point, a flashier building probably would have been beneficial, but changing the exterior finishing would not be enough to make this a WOW building regcognizable world over... But as is, it's still an awesome addition to Churchill square/arena district/Chinatown. And...come on now... At least we got rid of the bloody post office!
I am not sure the post office building needed to go. Gut it yes, but the front of it was more attractive than what is there now with RAM. And your right....RAM won't be winning any design awards or feature articles in tourist magazines unless its a paid ad. That said - have a look again at the BC Museum front entrance and cobranded signage with National Geographic Gallery. Sweet - they managed to up the credibility of the museum that way - maybe distracting from the design clutter that Cold mentioned. I wonder what RAM can do to add some character to this building.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
The new RAM doesn't compare favourably appearance-wise with the Royal BC or the Manitoba Museum IMHO. Which is a poor reflection on the province as a whole, especially considering our wealth and population. Its best asset is the absolutely perfect location, and truly completing the Churchill Square area.

Really, when you think about it, between having the Citadel Theatre, Winspear Centre, City Hall, the square, the library, the AGA, the mall, and now the RAM in that small area, is there any more impressive block or two of entertainment and culture anywhere else in the country?
I have to disagree I believe the RAM is significantly more attractive than either of those buildings.
I'm quite pleased with the concrete paneling, it's a bit modern without as much pattern that Tyndall would typically bring.
I'm just disappointed that the north side was changed so much from the original renderings. The renderings made it an inviting space, but the actual version seems to be mostly blank stark wall.
I hope there is a plan to monitor and landscape that land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton