HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
TL;DR

Wait, what the hell? So much time spent getting past VCC and architectural review and then it dies in City Council?

Every time one proposal like this dies, five entrepreneurs decide to give up on New Orleans and go to Atlanta or Austin. Fortunately this only seems confined to a bunch of entitled pissants who live near the river. Broadmoor, Gentilly, Mid-City, etc all seem to be "open for business".

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 3:50 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The Habana Outpost owner did the smart thing by withdrawing his plans, as Councilwoman Palmer had the votes lined up to kill whole thing. Since she's not running for another term, he can resubmit his plans to a new council in the Spring. The NIMBYs won this round, but I think he'll still open the place in the end. I look forward to eating there once it opens.
Yeah, but it's a freaking blighted gas station on Rampart street! It's a perfect location for what they have planned. The poor developers have probably wasted a 100k of carrying costs waiting on these fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wait, what the hell? So much time spent getting past VCC and architectural review and then it dies in City Council?

Every time one proposal like this dies, five entrepreneurs decide to give up on New Orleans and go to Atlanta or Austin. Fortunately this only seems confined to a bunch of entitled pissants who live near the river. Broadmoor, Gentilly, Mid-City, etc all seem to be "open for business".
Agreed about discouraging business. I can't speak for Broadmoor or Gentilly, but Mid-City is infected with a bad case of NIMBYism. See the MCNO list and many of the elected officers. Everything is traffic/parking traffic/parking traffic/parking.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 7:48 PM
-

Quote:

The quarter and marigny triangle are the worst places. I would never want to open a damn thing in these areas.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Yeah, but it's a freaking blighted gas station on Rampart street! It's a perfect location for what they have planned. The poor developers have probably wasted a 100k of carrying costs waiting on these fools.

Agreed about discouraging business. I can't speak for Broadmoor or Gentilly, but Mid-City is infected with a bad case of NIMBYism. See the MCNO list and many of the elected officers. Everything is traffic/parking traffic/parking traffic/parking.
I live in Mid-City. I don't know of any major projects the MCNO has shot down. I do know that a guy on my block wants to tear down an abandoned house for parking when he already has 2 or 3 paved lots on this block. He's owned the house since pre-K and sent the neighbors saying it was a hideout for robbers and all this. Not only that but it's zoned rd-2. Yep, I'm a NIMBY on this particular issue and I won't apologize for it. MCNO has been very helpful.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 2:43 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I live in Mid-City. I don't know of any major projects the MCNO has shot down. I do know that a guy on my block wants to tear down an abandoned house for parking when he already has 2 or 3 paved lots on this block. He's owned the house since pre-K and sent the neighbors saying it was a hideout for robbers and all this. Not only that but it's zoned rd-2. Yep, I'm a NIMBY on this particular issue and I won't apologize for it. MCNO has been very helpful.
I agree with you. Surface parking is the worst.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 4:24 AM
life is good

Chris from N.O. - on point. Agreed. Does anyone think surface parking lots are a good idea? Are you on the listserve tho? For example, a MCNO president testified at the city council against 1031 Canal - which is not in Mid City - and was adamant about not granting the height waver - but whatever. Many persons on the listserve are constantly worried about parking traffic esp. with regard to MCM and N. Carrollton. And said (now former president) just got re-elected to a member of the leadership.

Not that I care either way, but I am not speaking out of pocket. To be fair, there is a pro-development wing (though less than the antis) as well

Last edited by Eightball; Dec 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 7:20 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, a lot of people believe in a pro-business policy in theory, but when it comes to their neighborhoods they squeal frantically for government to interfere.

I've found that it's usually better to advocate for development using pro-business rather than urbanist arguments, but it's a two-edged sword since it makes no judgments on urban-design qualities like parking lots, form, or style.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:13 PM
life is good

New Orleans RTA to expand bus service, tweak route schedules
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...xpand_bus.html

Quote:
Several New Orleans bus routes will have their hours of service extended and more vehicles added to decrease wait times in 2014 for customers, the Regional Transit Authority announced Friday.

Late evening trips are planned for some routes in Algiers, Uptown, Central City and eastern New Orleans. Buses traveling along South Claiborne Avenue and others on Franklin Avenue will come more frequently. Routes on Morrison Road and St. Bernard Avenue will have more buses on Saturdays.

The RTA is the public agency responsible for public transportation in New Orleans. It hired the French company Veolia Transportation Services Inc. in 2009 to manage the the service's day-to-day operations.

A list of the changes can be found here.
http://media.nola.com/traffic/other/...ges%202014.pdf
Quote:
More Later Evening Trips – Every Day:  
62 – Morrison Express, 64 – Lake Forest Express,  
84 – Galvez, 88 – St. Claude,  
91 – Jackson/Esplanade,  
100 – Algiers Owl Loop, 114 – General De Gaulle – Sullen 
• More Saturday Trips  
51 – St. Bernard – Senate, 52 – St. Bernard – St. Anthony,  
62 – Morrison Express, 94 – Broad  
• More Weekday Commute Trips  
57– Franklin 
• More Weekday Trips  
16 – S. Claiborne, 64 – Lake Forest Express 
• Timetable Changes  
12 – St. Charles Streetcar, 12 – St. Charles Streetcar Shuttle,  
64 – Lake Forest Express, 100 – Algiers Owl Loop 

The RTA Board of Commissioners recently approved its 2014 Budget. The Budget includes additional

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:29 PM
TL;DR

This is great. Exactly the kind of thing NOLA needs. I especially like the doubling of weekday frequency on the S Claiborne line... with the Dome, new hospitals coming online, Magnolia Marketplace, etc there is a lot of ridership potential.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:35 PM

1031 Canal

Not to start any rumors, but...
1031 Canal Street's website and facebook page have both removed all the renders of the interior spaces. I wonder if it's getting an interior re-design and they don't want to mislead any potential renters? Does anyone know something more than my busybody speculation?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 3:38 PM
life is good

^^^Interesting. Anybody know what that's about? They pulled their permits in Sept of this year, right?
Quote:
This is great. Exactly the kind of thing NOLA needs. I especially like the doubling of weekday frequency on the S Claiborne line... with the Dome, new hospitals coming online, Magnolia Marketplace, etc there is a lot of ridership potential.
Yes, this is a very nice incremental step forward.

Oxalis opens in the Bywater
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...in-the-bywater

Quote:
True to its name, the world came to a rather abrupt end for the restaurant La Fin du Monde, which had a brief run recently on Magazine St. in the space that formerly housed Cafe Rani. Undaunted, Chef Jonathan Lestingi, along with bar manager Sonali Fernando, snapped up a sweet spot in the hoppin' Bywater for their newest venture, Oxalis, which opened today.

A first look at the new restaurant finds a place that fits perfectly into the neighborhood's hip vibe, with a vintage feel that would be just as home in Williamsburg, Brooklyn as it is in the Ninth Ward.

The drink menu has a heavy focus on American whiskey,...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Not to start any rumors, but...
1031 Canal Street's website and facebook page have both removed all the renders of the interior spaces. I wonder if it's getting an interior re-design and they don't want to mislead any potential renters? Does anyone know something more than my busybody speculation?
More than likely a relaunch. It was clearly a bit dated so Id say this is good news~

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 6:39 PM
-

800 Iberville St [Chateau Bourbon Hotel]·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: AN0ACN
Pay Fees Download (49) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Canal Street Development Corp
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
12/24/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Seven (7) new apartment units will be constructed in the existing loading dock of DH Holmes apartment building as per plans and BZA 256-12.

810 Bienville St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: V7GTGG
Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Application Review
Date Filed:
12/23/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior renovation of eighty-seven (87) existing units to ninety (90) units after converting three (3) two-story to six (6) single story units as per plans and BZA 256-12. No Exterior Work Permitted

800 Iberville St [Chateau Bourbon Hotel]·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: Z61EXM
Download (36) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Exterior renovations of building A, B and D as per plans and BZA 256-12

918 Union St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: WDCSGY
Pay Fees Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Kirk Fabacher
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Convert existing vacant building and add addition at rear of site to create new 35 room boutique hotel with ground floor lounge and roof top pool and deck. NOTE: Sprinklers and Kitchen are added, but the draft submittal document incorrectly indicates that they are not added.

127 Carondelet St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: 7G4C5Z
Pay Fees Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Nat Parks
Application Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Historical renovation of Carondelet Street facade. Restore balconies and windows per historic photograph. Interior renovation of ground floor into commercial space and residential common space. Renovation of second, third, and fourth floors into (8) apartments.

1024 Canal St [Tattoo Ya]·Renovation (Structural) ·Permit #13-48714-RNVS ·Ref Code: H2XAR4
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Surath International LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Reconstruct ceiling of existing canopy as per sketch and 13-41559 HDLC.

622 Conti St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: N5E4FS
Download (9) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Mary Grace Verges
Plan Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of portions of the First and Second Floors into a restaurant and retail bakery.

3710 S Claiborne Ave·New Construction ·Ref Code: 4MEFTM
Download (7) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Todd Heiden
Application Review
Date Filed:
12/26/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 1-story Tunnel Car wash as per plans and City Planning Ordinance # 025438.

6670 I-10 Service Rd·New Construction ·Ref Code: AN15AY
Download (22) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Leo L III Seago
Application Review
Date Filed:
12/18/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 1-story, 2000sf warehouse for storage of non-hazardous material for a satellite business as per plans.

1800 Orleans Ave·New Construction ·Permit #13-48120-NEWC ·Ref Code: GSAF12
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Broadmoor LLC & Milton J Womack Vanture Partners
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 2-story 6-unit multi-family dwelling as per plans [Units A - F] Building Type K6

1804 Orleans Ave·New Construction ·Permit #13-48124-NEWC ·Ref Code: AE4ACU
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Broadmoor LLC & Milton J Womack Vanture Partners
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 3-story 6-unit multi-family dwelling as per plans. [Units A-F] Type J6

4417 Earhart Blvd·New Construction ·Ref Code: 7HHXAH
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Dennis M. Ogan
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
12/17/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a automated car wash as per plans. Signage will required a seperate permit.

1 Poydras St, Suite 46·Attached Sign ·Ref Code: QVA1HL
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
Garret Van Swearingen
Draft Application
Date Filed:
12/19/2013 1:27:32 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Riverwalk Project Identity Sign

1700 S Rampart St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: F610QL
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Marty W McElveen
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
12/26/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Exterior/Interior renovations to a 6 unit multi-family dwelling as per plans and HDLC 13-45138. Electrical,Hvac and Plumbing.

516 Natchez St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: QY51YX
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Megan Cook
Draft Application
Date Filed:
12/23/2013 10:02:52 AM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction permit for the rehabilitation of two three story brick row house buildings to support 5 residences and single ground floor business tenant.

739 Jackson Ave [Finger Lickn Wings]·Change of Use ·Ref Code: 5TSCUT
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Rob Bechtold
Application Review
Date Filed:
12/16/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert standard resturant to a deli per sketch. No exterior work except painting. All signage shall be under separate permit.

941 Julia St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: 0NU13X
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Jeffrey M Stolier
HDLC CBD ARC Meeting
Date Filed:
12/18/2013 9:52:50 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Demolition and new construction.

ITEM 17 – Docket Number: 009-14 DG
Applicant or Agent: Jacques J. Toledano
Property Location: 216-218 Chartres Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Chartres St., Iberville St., Decatur St., & Bienville St.
Zoning District: VCC-2 Vieux Carré Commercial District
Historic District: Vieux Carré Planning District: 1b
Existing Use: Vacant Building Square Number: 30
Proposed Use: Mixed-Use (Retail and Multi-Family) Lot Number: 26
Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 8, Section 8.5.7 (Table 8.D)
of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request: This request is to permit the renovation of a vacant building into a mixed-use building with
retail and thirteen dwelling units with excessive height and insufficient minimum lot area per dwelling
unit.

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 5:21 PM

Been a while since I read through everything but I just checked the last few pages.

I'm guessing Lakeside Mall is building another parking garage by the Food Court entrance. I saw the piling weight testers there this weekend. Not sure what those things are really called, feel free to correct.

I also heard that Rouses bought the old Home Depot on Carrolton, so another grocery store wouldn't move in. Not sure if this is what yall have heard.

Anyone know anything about the Annunciation st old Schwegmanns store in the LGD. I'm hoping for a Trader Joes, but I noticed the for sale sign was taken down. In the last 6 months about 10 properties turned from vacant to under major renovation. In addition the lady who owns the 2 brick derelict buildings on Melpomene and Magazine is doing major renovations, the city is fining her about 5k each month for each building that is not renovated.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 5:27 PM
life is good

@tennis- wow. Sounds like some amazing developments/reuses in the FQ/CBD/Warehouse District.

Also intrigued by the Orleans Ave new construction.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 6:12 PM
TL;DR

The Annunciation Schwegmann's getting redeveloped? Where else will I find a derelict rooftop with amazing views to drink beer on? Haha j/k.

I do hope it gets a new grocery store. Having a grocery in the neighborhood would really legitimize the area and help kickstart revitalization. Maybe a smaller local player like Dorignac's or Langenstein's would be interested, if Trader Joe's isn't. Sterling Farms is another new possibility. I just hope it doesn't become a Winn-Dixie...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 6:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Been a while since I read through everything but I just checked the last few pages.

I'm guessing Lakeside Mall is building another parking garage by the Food Court entrance. I saw the piling weight testers there this weekend. Not sure what those things are really called, feel free to correct.

I also heard that Rouses bought the old Home Depot on Carrolton, so another grocery store wouldn't move in. Not sure if this is what yall have heard.

Anyone know anything about the Annunciation st old Schwegmanns store in the LGD. I'm hoping for a Trader Joes, but I noticed the for sale sign was taken down. In the last 6 months about 10 properties turned from vacant to under major renovation. In addition the lady who owns the 2 brick derelict buildings on Melpomene and Magazine is doing major renovations, the city is fining her about 5k each month for each building that is not renovated.
Yes Rouses bought it to control what moves in there. SO if its going to be a Target it will be one with very little food in it. Havent been to a City Target yet I presume that could still work there. Smart move on Rouses part!

One interesting note about that former Schewgmanns is that it isnt in an HDLC district. So they dont have to deal with historic offices. SO anything happening there can really fly under the radar.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 8:46 PM

yea I agree Tennis, Rouses made a very wise decision. I just hope it isn't to the detriment of that area, if for some reason their move slows all of the positive that area has seen.

Ardecila I really hope not a Winn Dixie. The area is ripe for something more significant than that. I'll take a Robert. In 6 more months almost every house facing it will have undergone a significant renovation or be in the middle of one.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 9:29 PM
life is good

How about a nice grocery with several floors of apartments on top?

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...gins-building/

Apartments and retail planned for 234 Loyola avenue. Affordable housing

Last edited by Eightball; Dec 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM. Reason: add article

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Looks like they're building a cheesecake factory...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wondering what's going on in the Lakeside Shopping Center parking lot? A Cheesecake Factory is coming. <a href="http://t.co/ho3BP9OL2k">pic.twitter.com/ho3BP9OL2k</a></p>&mdash; Scott Walker (@ScottWalker6) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottWalker6/statuses/416689760430600192">December 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations