HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 4:04 PM
Here and There

Such a crime to wait in rush hour traffic everyday. Life in the inner city is awesome no matter what some agoraphobes think. I feel sorry for this girl but do we have to post this negative crap all the time in this thread? Originally the thread was about something else but has turned into place to make the inner city look bad.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 4:21 PM

My parents live in Rocky Ridge. A lady was sexual assaulted while walking on one of the pathways. She screamed. No one came. It doesn't matter where you are, lots of people are cowards.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:14 PM
not a NIMBY

243 sexual assaults reported in Calgary so far this year. 4% are random attacks. There was an attack near Glenmore Landing last night. It has nothing to do with urban/suburban.

In other crime news, my cat staged a home invasion last night - so embarassing! At least he doesn't steal anything.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:05 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
243 sexual assaults reported in Calgary so far this year. 4% are random attacks. There was an attack near Glenmore Landing last night. It has nothing to do with urban/suburban.
I was out one evening just taking random photos and it wasn't until I got home and started looking at the pictures. I realized I had taken a photo of two people having sex... It happened around when the sun was setting and took place along the Riverwalk. A caucasian woman was on her back wearing stiletto heels and the man was a visible minority wearing a hoodie. I reported the picture to police after flipping back through the photos from earlier in the evening, and the police said there was no assaults reported at that time. I asked if I could submit the photo to the City of Calgary police that they did not want it. I was somewhat surprised that City of Calgary police seemed to be unconcerned about apparent brazen prostitution.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Such a crime to wait in rush hour traffic everyday. Life in the inner city is awesome no matter what some agoraphobes think. I feel sorry for this girl but do we have to post this negative crap all the time in this thread? Originally the thread was about something else but has turned into place to make the inner city look bad.
The thread is about crime in Calgary, I can't think of a more appropriate place to post it. Stop taking other's criticism of the inner city personally, some people don't want to live your lifestyle and are allowed to post their opinion without you getting all uppity and defensive.

That being said, it is a real tragidy that some people are so happy to shit all over someone else freedom to walk alone at night. We all take the safety in this city for granted sometimes and forget that there are some real creeps out there. Just my $.02

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I was out one evening just taking random photos and it wasn't until I got home and started looking at the pictures. I realized I had taken a photo of two people having sex... It happened around when the sun was setting and took place along the Riverwalk. A caucasian woman was on her back wearing stiletto heels and the man was a visible minority wearing a hoodie. I reported the picture to police after flipping back through the photos from earlier in the evening, and the police said there was no assaults reported at that time. I asked if I could submit the photo to the City of Calgary police that they did not want it. I was somewhat surprised that City of Calgary police seemed to be unconcerned about apparent brazen prostitution.
There is probably not much they can do with it to be honest. I'm sure the police are well aware of most of the prostitutes that work the streets in this city, and unless they actually catch them in the act, laying charges is pretty much impossible.

I think they should quit f-ing around and just legalize it already. Some high strung people's sensibilities may be hurt, but better than having prostitutes taking their tricks into the bushes and getting the shit beat out of them.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:56 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The thread is about crime in Calgary, I can't think of a more appropriate place to post it. Stop taking other's criticism of the inner city personally, some people don't want to live your lifestyle and are allowed to post their opinion without you getting all uppity and defensive.

That being said, it is a real tragidy that some people are so happy to shit all over someone else freedom to walk alone at night. We all take the safety in this city for granted sometimes and forget that there are some real creeps out there. Just my $.02
Agreed with this. There's a lot that individuals can do to protect themselves and their property and shouldn't try to gloss over the real creepy stuff that does happen. Also, can't afford for police to be on every corner patrolling.

I'm a big fan of wearing reflective clothing and/or having personal lighting on me when I'm out jogging. It makes yourself much more visible to traffic, and I also think the increased visibility also helps deter assaults. I've used Light & Motion products before for cycling (Vis180 which has a blinking amber light viewable from 180 degrees and the Stella headlight). Light & Motion recently came out with a Solite 150 headlamp which I'm keen on as well which has a battery life of 3 to 40 hours, USB rechargable and weighs only 135 grams.

The other obvious thing to do is to "harden" anything you don't want stolen. Make sure valuables aren't sitting on the seat of your car for example.

Also, tip just to be aware of your surroundings and whenever possible carry a mobile phone on yourself to report dangerous incidents. Travel\run with a friend if possible. Always nice to hear someone else say Hi! or Good Evening! while on the paths as well. If it's a nice evening out, maybe think about sitting and relaxing on your front porch and reading a book outside instead of watching TV. Take the time to get to know the people on your street and if you live in a condo the people on your floor.

Things like this are pretty simple to do and go a longggg way to reducing crime.

I have this idea for a community association run free coffee and biscuits "Stop and Thrive" station where walkers could learn more about safety in their community and what can be done to prevent crime. I always find the stories about crime in the newspapers depressing and am interested in ways that communities can work towards some sort of proactive visioning around crime and safety in their neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
243 sexual assaults reported in Calgary so far this year. 4% are random attacks.
That's a good point - the numbers are much larger than the one or two mentioned here, but I think there is a story if you go deeper into the numbers. Of the vast majority that are not random, virtually all are domestic type in nature. Husband and wife, divorced couples, boyfriend girlfriend, etc. I'm not saying that this type of attack is alright - it is not - however, the random ones are most concerning. Those 4%, which total ten net for half a year - where do they happen? It is those that cause police to issue warnings about walking alone at night, particularly in certain areas.

Quote:
In other crime news, my cat staged a home invasion last night - so embarassing! At least he doesn't steal anything.
While I'm all for freedom to express views (else I'd be hypocritical as it turns out) I do think this mention about your cat is a little offensive to the victims of sexual assault, beatings into comas, etc. that we've been discussing here.

Last edited by suburbia; Jun 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post

While I'm all for freedom to express views (else I'd be hypocritical as it turns out) I do think this mention about your cat is a little offensive to the victims of sexual assault, beatings into comas, etc. that we've been discussing here.
Really? it's a joke and has nothing to do with sexual assault. I got a good laugh out of it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 3:37 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
That's a good point - the numbers are much larger than the one or two mentioned here, but I think there is a story if you go deeper into the numbers. Of the vast majority that are not random, virtually all are domestic type in nature. Husband and wife, divorced couples, boyfriend girlfriend, etc. I'm not saying that this type of attack is alright - it is not - however, the random ones are most concerning. Those 4%, which total ten net for half a year - where do they happen? It is those that cause police to issue warnings about walking alone at night, particularly in certain areas.

Where do they happen? Well I've heard a lot of theories that these sexual assaults happen where they are not likely to be caught. Areas that are near borders are a special concern and these are places like along LRT right of ways, near freeway right of ways, near university borders, or along rivers. Basically any place that reduces pedestrian mobility is constrained and is lightly travelled is going to be a place that is more likely for a sex predator to take advantage of.

The following figures are sex offence counts from the CPS website over the last six month period for a bunch of inner city communities:
Chinatown: 0
Inglewood: 0
Bridgeland: 0
Ramsay: 0
Sunnyside: 0
Sunalta: 0
Mission: 0
Roxboro: 0
Downtown East Village: 0
Beltline: 6

I would like to see every area of Calgary at zero.

Jimby mentioned that the sexual assault occurred on a cul de sac street, again it appears that this is an area that is constrained.

Things like having a car with a emergency alarm function, carrying a whistle, if a high risk group not travelling in areas that are prone to not having a defensive way out (St. Patrick's Island before pedestrian bridge installation), reporting suspicious behaviour, carrying a mobile phone are all things that can be done to reduce risk of sexual assault.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:35 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

My point is that no one else takes the time to post about the crimes happening anywhere else in the city outside of the inner city (and there are plenty). It is ticking me off and therefore I am voicing my opinion. Skyscraperpage my ass, this forum is just a tabloid now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
My point is that no one else takes the time to post about the crimes happening anywhere else in the city outside of the inner city (and there are plenty). It is ticking me off and therefore I am voicing my opinion. Skyscraperpage my ass, this forum is just a tabloid now.
We don't post every crime that happens in a certain area outside downtown because we aren't petty. It is annoying that some people think downtown is some crazy violent cesspool and are always trying to prove their point or confirm their own irrational fear, but that's their problem and it's best to just laugh at their ignorance and move on. Getting emotional and reactionary about it is useless and just perpetuates the downtown vs suburbs argument.

Crime happens everywhere there are people, and the more people there are, the more crime there will be. So by sheer numbers I bet that downtown definitely has more crime, I would be curious however to see the statistics of crime per capita, and the types of crime in each area.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
The following figures are sex offence counts from the CPS website over the last six month period for a bunch of inner city communities:
Chinatown: 0
Inglewood: 0
Bridgeland: 0
Ramsay: 0
Sunnyside: 0
Sunalta: 0
Mission: 0
Roxboro: 0
Downtown East Village: 0
Beltline: 6

I would like to see every area of Calgary at zero.
Looks like the Beltline is giving the entire inner city a bad name!

I agree with your sentiment - would like to see all of Calgary at zero. Will always be a work in progress, and your other comments are certainly helpful to that end.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 8:46 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Looks like the Beltline is giving the entire inner city a bad name!

I agree with your sentiment - would like to see all of Calgary at zero. Will always be a work in progress, and your other comments are certainly helpful to that end.
This survey is interesting:
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

I think it provides a broader sense of the concerns of Centre City residents. On infrastructure, concern is about onstreet bike routes and CPR underpasses. It also points out that addressing safety/security is the most important initiative for making Centre City a desirable place to live, work and visit.

I think if the Centre City can better connect to other offsetting inner city neighbourhoods through the underpasses and bike routes it would also help to deter crime. Nearest neighbours are more likely to treat a neighbourhood with respect and work to keep it clean and safe. Fast moving one way streets are more conduicive for crime and no flow traffic boundaries like I mentioned previously.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:

I'd like to point out that's reported attacks. Many don't get reported.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
BANNED

I had missed this two weeks ago when it was in the media - this is only one of several articles from June 6th. Looks like it is not just me noticing major issues in the Beltline!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...126/story.html excerpt:
Quote:
“Seventeenth Avenue has gone from what it used to be, which was pretty well-managed, pretty well-controlled. Now it seems to be crossing the threshold where it’s becoming a community concern, so we gotta go about fixing it,” said police Chief Rick Hanson, following a presentation to the community services and protective services committee at City Hall.

In the first three months this year, Calgary saw an 11 per cent increase in disorder incidents — including property damage, disturbances, drug complaints, indecent acts, and possible gunshots — compared to the same time last year.

The figure, which equates to 1,793 additional incidents or nearly 20 incidents per day on average, reached a six-year high, say police.

The downtown area was among the districts to record the largest numerical increases. Overall, crime is down in the city.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
I had missed this two weeks ago when it was in the media - this is only one of several articles from June 6th. Looks like it is not just me noticing major issues in the Beltline!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...126/story.html excerpt:
The real issue here is alcohol turns people into fucking idiots and the City has screwed up allowing 17th Ave to be over run with bars. Drunks != Vibrancy.

Thankfully the Flames of late have been incapable of making it to the playoffs. If they ever do, the crowds on RedMile will make 2004 seem like the Bow Flow.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:14 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
The real issue here is alcohol turns people into fucking idiots and the City has screwed up allowing 17th Ave to be over run with bars. Drunks != Vibrancy.

Thankfully the Flames of late have been incapable of making it to the playoffs. If they ever do, the crowds on RedMile will make 2004 seem like the Bow Flow.
Calgary has a ton of food, ethnic, sports and music festival. It'd be cool to have an evening visual arts festival (rare) on 17th Ave. Like turning 17th Ave into a quaint evening arts festival with food trucks, open streets and a modest amount of chill music.

As you alluded to, good vibrant places are not places that just have lots of people, it's vibrant places where people are stimulated and engaged in their surroundings. Large amounts of alcohol just makes people do dumb things and predominantly caters to an 18-30 demographic.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...939/story.html

Police searching for suspects following violent Shawnessy home invasion

June 24, 2012

Police are searching for three masked suspects who barged into a Shawnessy home this morning and seriously assaulted a man in a violent home invasion.

At 8:00 a.m., they made their way into the home in the 200-block of Shawmeadow Road S.W.

There was “a number of people home at the time but witnesses say that three masked males entered the home, located a specific person, a 36-year-old man within the home, and seriously assaulted him,” said duty inspector Paul Stacey.

“It appears at this point like he may have been stabbed.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+...#ixzz1ywS97QuO

=============================================================

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+...110/story.html

Police deal with first suspected case of bath salts drug in city
Family concerned about young man’s psychotic behaviour
By Bryce Forbes, Calgary Herald June 25, 2012

CALGARY — City police may have encountered their first local case of the infamous drug bath salts this weekend.

Duty inspector Craig Skelton said emergency services were called to a residence in Bridlewood at 9 a.m. Saturday after family members became concerned about a man’s psychotic behaviour.

Skelton said the man in his early 20s had a significant tolerance for pain and was highly combative.

It’s not confirmed the man was on bath salts, but Skelton said his behaviour was consistent with the behaviour of using the drug.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+...#ixzz1ywSRRchJ

=================================================

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Po...062/story.html

Possible second case of bath salts investigated after naked Calgary man found smashing face against fence
By Stephane Massinon and Annalise Klingbeil, Calgary Herald June 26, 2012 2:01 PM

Calgary police are downplaying the possibility that a naked man found smashing his face against a fence was using bath salts.

“We have no information that specifically this person was under the influence of (bath salts),” said Staff Sgt. Geoff Gawlinski.

At 1:51 a.m., police were called to the 100-block of Dovertree Place after witnesses saw an unidentified young man between the age of 18 and 25 hurting himself.

“He was seen in the alley nearly naked,” said duty inspector Paul Malchow.

“Witnesses saw him smashing his face against a fence multiple times and acting completely irrational.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Possibl...#ixzz1ywSeXtNT

==================================================

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/cr...229/story.html

Alleged drunk driver smashes 12 parked cars, totals own vehicle
By Stephane Massinon June 26, 2012

After driving into 12 parked cars on the side of the road, a man is in police custody and will face charges for drunk driving.

At 1:20 a.m. police were called to Discovery Ridge Blvd. and Discovery Ridge Hill after someone saw a Chevrolet Suburban driving erratically,

The driver hit a dozen vehicles and damaged his Suburban so badly that it could not be driven.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...#ixzz1ywT2dA6h

========================================

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...805/story.html

Best friend stabbed during argument following wedding celebration
By Clara Ho, Calgary Herald June 25, 2012

An argument between friends turned ugly early Sunday morning after one teen allegedly stabbed the other at a southeast home, sending the victim to hospital in serious condition.

Police said they were called to a residence in the 200 block of Chaparral Place S.E. after 3 a.m. with reports of a stabbing following a wedding celebration.

Two 18-year-old men, apparently best friends, were arguing when one allegedly grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed the other, said duty inspector Paul Stacey.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...#ixzz1ywTDWivi

===========================================

Woah suburbs, you scary.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:46 PM

That Bath Salts stuff sounds pretty scary, though I wonder how much of it is the typical media sensationalism...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy