HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Riverside in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:00 PM

As Inga said, it's now a better project overall - but what a shame the neighbors nixed the cafe due to noise concerns.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:40 AM

Barnes & Parkway

How silly to think the Barnes is not connected to the Parkway, just turn and follow the path designed to move you from the street to the museum, and experience a sense of quiet and increasing calm as you move through the landscaped space.

The Barnes is neither physically nor visually disconnected from the Parkway. Every major architectural critic understood this(e.g., Paul Goldberger).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
Barnes & Parkway

How silly to think the Barnes is not connected to the Parkway, just turn and follow the path designed to move you from the street to the museum, and experience a sense of quiet and increasing calm as you move through the landscaped space.

The Barnes is neither physically nor visually disconnected from the Parkway. Every major architectural critic understood this(e.g., Paul Goldberger).
This is so off topic now it makes me thing you have some sort of vested interest in promoting the design. If you have an axe to grind with Inga over this you should probably take it to the general development thread. It's also a good idea to not dismiss dissenting opinions as "silly" if you want others to actually listen to you.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
RE: Inga and the Barnes, I don't recall what she originally said, but if she complained that the new Barnes design does not connect well with the parkway she's not wrong. Who cares what the architects intent was? If they didn't want people to enter directly from the parkway in a misguided attempt to preserve the feel of the original it still makes for a lousy interaction with the urban environment. I'm sorry, but the overall connectivity of the city's urban fabric is way more important than the architects' "artistic vision" or preserving the feel of the original context of the building. Anyway, this is off topic for the thread.
Agreed. I adore Williams + Tsien but the Barnes IMO is a failure form the Parkway side, especially when the window shades (to protect the artwork) are drawn.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 9:12 PM

[QUOTE=Insoluble;6546720]This new design looks like a win for everyone. I was one of those who originally bemoaned the neighbor complaints as a classic case of NIMBYism, but it looks like both sides really worked together to improve the overall design here.

On the new design...yes, I agree. What I don't get,(maybe because I don't live in that area, or am expert enough to know any better), but what I REALLY don't get? They complain about the noise from the café (they should spend one night in my part of the 'hood, and they'll see what REAL noise is)okay I'm getting to it, it's that UNSIGHTLY BILLBOARD! You mean they never complained about that? But they like to block progress, because of blank walls, and curb cuts, etc. Okay....Why can't they just wear earplugs if they're that bothered by a little sipping sounds of coffee? Overall, this city is lucky to get anything built, period.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
... but what I REALLY don't get? They complain about the noise from the café ...
Yeah. Why are you worried about the noise from one little cafe when you ALREADY LIVE NEXT TO A FREIGHT RAIL LINE????

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Yeah. Why are you worried about the noise from one little cafe when you ALREADY LIVE NEXT TO A FREIGHT RAIL LINE????
Yea, what he said.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 2:21 AM

Looks great.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 10:55 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 11:24 AM

too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Huh? This was a by-right deal and now the developer has agreed to completely revamp his building, his design, and his access. He has agreed to reduce the number of rentable units by a substantial number, while adding cost to the building in redesign features. I ain't no expert, but the fact that the developer was willing to add "underground parking" with a "mechanical parking system" (at a tremendous cost I would imagine) has a ring of fishy about it. It feels as though the goal was to get community approval so the lot would increase in value. The game of fake it then flip it. I believe the Edgewater II folks just did this upriver. I do NOT have a good feeling about a shovel ever hitting the dirt on this one. Please someone disabuse me of my skepticism if you understand something I do not.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 1:53 PM

This is Dranoff dude, he doesn't play that way. Edgewater was owned by Raelen. Only things they built was Edgewater and two parking garages. The property is owner by someone a little more serious now.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci
Huh? This was a by-right deal and now the developer has agreed to completely revamp his building, his design, and his access. He has agreed to reduce the number of rentable units by a substantial number, while adding cost to the building in redesign features. I ain't no expert, but the fact that the developer was willing to add "underground parking" with a "mechanical parking system" (at a tremendous cost I would imagine) has a ring of fishy about it. It feels as though the goal was to get community approval so the lot would increase in value. The game of fake it then flip it. I believe the Edgewater II folks just did this upriver. I do NOT have a good feeling about a shovel ever hitting the dirt on this one. Please someone disabuse me of my skepticism if you understand something I do not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343
This is Dranoff dude, he doesn't play that way. Edgewater was owned by Raelen. Only things they built was Edgewater and two parking garages. The property is owner by someone a little more serious now.
In fact, has Dranoff ever done that kind of flip? Not to mention that he has a strong incentive to maintain his credibility for other future Center City projects including, of course, SLS International.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 9:44 PM

The parking lot will be closed October 31st and site prep will begin in earnest.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The parking lot will be closed October 31st and site prep will begin in earnest.
Not soon enough. We are not a patient group.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:08 PM

New renderings up on Dranoff's site

http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...one-riverside/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:04 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:40 PM

wow that is incredible

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 12:53 PM
BANNED

Is the November start date still legit??

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:24 PM

I like that they went for a slightly more asymmetrical look. Especially on the south side. The spine going down the south wall looked a bit tacky in the old renderings, now it blends in nicely. I was kind of digging the weird suspended balconies jutting out from the west in the old rendering though. It looks like they got rid of those.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:32 PM

Looking at the aerial pics above -- Any plans for the parking lot at 24th and Sansom - next to the 2400 building. 2400 has that solid wall facing the parking lot, so a new building wouldn't have to deal with people complaining about views being blocked etc. Seems like prime real estate now with everything going on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive