HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbrink View Post
how could it be an eyesore?

That has been my point all along, after Liebeskind created that putrid nightmare. The current design is spectacular. The originals were awesome too, but when this is done, it will grow fast on the masses of the public.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Matt08642;

Did you not read the post that Steely Dan wrote? He said no talk of any other tower in this thread except the Freedom Tower. I don't want to lose the thread because it has valuable info and developments on the Freedom Tower.

But in ANY case and just for the record, ALL design models of the Freedom Tower had the planned height at 1,776 ft. with the spire. Every conceivable model that was thought of or drawn up, the planned height was at 1,776 ft. with the spire.

I hope that this clears up and ends any discrepancies or arguments about the height.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 6:06 PM

All I have to say is this:
Roof of freedom tower is 1320 Ft

Roof of Original North tower was 1386 Ft

Pathetic. (and sad, because the Freedom Tower design is really very nice)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:43 PM

Floor Plans

Hello People, Are there any floor plans on the net? i could not find any. I'm just curious of the plans and how they compare to the core being assembled as we speak.,
As always keep up the great updates and the pictures. Seeing them is actually better then being down by the construction site.
I wasn't able to go to the obs deck in the original towers but I will make it to the new one.
Lance

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post

Pathetic. (and sad, because the Freedom Tower design is really very nice)
If that's all you have to say, you should have kept it to yourself. Not only is it wrong. It's both pathetic and sad. Use another screen name next time.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...01&newsLang=en

ThyssenKrupp Elevator Awarded Exclusive Freedom Tower Contract

October 11, 2007

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The contract to install and maintain all 71 elevators and nine escalators in the Freedom Tower in New York City is one of the biggest in the history of ThyssenKrupp Elevator, one of the world’s leading manufacturers, installers and service providers of vertical and horizontal transportation technology.

Freedom Tower is under construction at the site of the former World Trade Center, and is scheduled to be complete in December 2011. The fastest elevators in the building will reach speeds of up to 1800 feet per minute. When the project is complete, Freedom Tower will reach 1,776 feet and stand 105 stories.

“We are proud to be a partner in this historic Freedom Tower project,” said Barry Pletch, CEO of ThyssenKrupp Elevator Americas Business Unit. “We will draw on our extensive high-rise experience to provide elevators and escalators that surpass safety standards and that provide passengers with the most innovative technology and design available.”

“ThyssenKrupp Elevator was selected for this monumental project based our competitive responses and attention to detail during four rounds of evaluations,” says Bill Gooding, Regional President of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, ThyssenKrupp Elevator Americas Business Unit. “Our team is well-equipped to handle this contract.”

ThyssenKrupp Elevator still manufactures the major components of all elevators to ensure their strict standards are met. The $150 million contract includes 64 gearless and six machine-room-less elevators as well as one geared elevator and nine escalators.

Freedom Tower was designed by Studio Daniel Libeskind. Construction began in 2006.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:52 PM
New Englander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
[url]

Freedom Tower was designed by Studio Daniel Libeskind. Construction began in 2006.
Ha! News media wrong again.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yesterdays enemies .....

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 11:32 PM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post

Your close, but not right. Read the title, height of FT roof is 1335' or 1368' not 1320'. Even if FT was 1320' it wouldn't make much of a difference. And height of original north tower was 1368' not 1386', you got mixed up with numbers keys while typing , no problem.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 12:12 AM

all I have to say is:

former WTC peak height: ~528m
Freedom tower. ~541m

Spires ftw,

4 individually designed towers > 2 monoliths

Glad to see the progress though. At least that would shut my yap about "too slow"

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:31 AM

I believe Larry Silverstein was quoted a month ago as saying "Wait until we take control of the site in January...you haven't seen anything yet!"

If you think progress is happening now just wait until Mr. Silverstein runs the show!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 4:15 AM
Editor

So glad to see this one coming along. I can't wait until it's topped out. I'll take a trip to NYC just to see it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
At least you guys don't have a history of NIMBYism to deal with that is keeping this thing from getting built. Here in SF we are desperately trying to break the 700 FOOT ( )barrier that was imposed on our city back in the 80s. Take a walk in our shoes for one day, and I have a feeling all your complaints will end !!

On a side note, the skyscraper fears of terrorism always gives me a cynical chuckle because it proves that people really aren't prepared for the 'anything' that could happen next. I really doubt that the same people who attacked on 9/11 will target more skyscrapers with airplanes. They want us to keep thinking that, though, so that they can always be one step ahead. The concrete bunker that was imposed at the bottom of the building is, I believe, a red herring that will make us "feel" more safe, which in reality doesn't make us any more safe than if it wasn't there.

That is the major reason, it must be as tall as the originals. If we leave the hole in the ground, or go along with the notion that shorter is safer, then the terrorists have won.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 12:43 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Yeah, but Tyler... Frisco is one of the world's most famously beautiful cities. It's living proof that height is NOT everything. Would you really want, say, the FT to suddenly sprout right by the Bay?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 6:08 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

it would'nt surprise me that LARRY will make this a 2000 footer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
it would'nt surprise me that LARRY will make this a 2000 footer.
I have always thought the tower looked un finished and the lines of the tower should continue up to form a peak and have a pyramidial top to it. Then make it 2001 feet to remember the year. The use of a spire to reach 1776 is just a farse. On the whole i like the tower, but here is the way I think it would look more complete, generally I think if they continue the line up it could look like the wasington monument! @ 2001 feet.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
BANNED

We're getting a tower that's been redesigned over and over to a very beautiful design, yet there are STILL some people who are not satisfied with it.

What more do some of you want?

Last edited by Daquan13; Oct 13, 2007 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
We're getting a tower that's been redesigned over and over to a very beautiful design
But that's just your opinion, obviously; I would take out "beautiful" and put in something like "dorky" to describe the FT... it tries to be iconic in a symmetrical, pure-form kind of way, but for me it's just a clumsy composition.

So I want another redesign! And how about another two years of delays while we're at too

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:39 PM
World Machine

I can't say I'm "in love" with the FT's design. It's ok. I much prefer it though over that birdcage and Libeskind's 1,776ft greenhouse. I think overall it's an ok design. I'm sure once built, it'll grow more on people.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
But that's just your opinion, obviously; I would take out "beautiful" and put in something like "dorky" to describe the FT... it tries to be iconic in a symmetrical, pure-form kind of way, but for me it's just a clumsy composition.

So I want another redesign! And how about another two years of delays while we're at it too

I think you're grabbing at straws because I don't see that happening.

Yes, that IS my opinion, along with many others, so it's not just me.

Yes Dac, this design is probably 500 times better than the very first design or that ugly birdcage windmill farm design. I also think that it will change peoples' minds once it's built. They'll start liking it. Just takes time.

Last edited by Daquan13; Oct 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive