HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 7:25 PM

Where in Canada would you live if you HAD to move?

We have a thread of where people "where are you from" and most also give where they are now.

I'm curious, if you HAD to move for any particular reason where would you go if employment was not an issue? I'm not talking about someone in Laval wanting to move to Montreal but if you had to move at least 100 AND a 1000 km away, where would you go?

I live in Cloverdale/South Surrey and for me for 1000 km I would go back to London or within 50 km of it. It will always be home and it's a very nice city, affordable for more than a walk-in-closet 50 km from downtown, and is still a quick jaunt to Toronto or a host of other cities. For 100 to 1000 km I would go to Nanaimo.

Last edited by ssiguy; Aug 30, 2020 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 7:48 PM

Hmm. Anywhere in the prairies would feel pretty much like home to me. I lived in Edmonton for a few years while going to school and in some ways it felt like I had never left Winnipeg. So moving back there or one of the other larger prairie cities would be the most obvious option.

But if I wanted something different, I might go for Ontario south of Toronto. Maybe London, KW, Windsor, Hamilton, Niagara, Sarnia.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 7:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

OTTAWA!
(Surprise, I actually don't wanna move back to Vancity.)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:04 PM

To where I live right now. It's the most optimized location I found.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I have thought about the UK or France, maybe Australia/NZ. The US West Coast has become less appealing over time. I considered California at one point but I'm kind of happy I didn't move there.

Within Canada the options all have big drawbacks. Very far or limited change in cost of living (also I own my place and have a good standard of living here, but I could get a much bigger place somewhere else theoretically). BC has a few different nice areas but they're all very expensive for what they are, even the small towns. If I had to move somewhere else in Canada it would probably be NS, Ontario, or maybe Montreal. But I will most likely stay put.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:29 PM

London, UK; Lisbon; Edinburgh; or Buenos Aires.

In Canada, probably Toronto, but Victoria, Halifax, or Montreal could do.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:43 PM
I am a typical

Ushuaia or Punta Arenas in Tierra del Fuego. Their climate is basically October year-round and that's my favourite month so that's basically the only reason.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
To where I live right now. It's the most optimized location I found.
You didn't answer the question. I asked if you HAD to move where would you go over 100 km AND over 1000 km?

This is just for fun but does make you think about what you like and dislike about the place you are in and the same for a place you HAD to move to. For me I stated London but for under 1000 km it would definatly be Nanaimo. Technically it may not be 100 km as the crow flies but due to being at least 2 hours away due to the ferry, I think it qualifies,.

Also saying "somewhere in such and such a province" doesn't cut it. You are given 2 one-way tickets........one for 100 to 1000 km and another for over 1000 km so where would you choice to go?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
You didn't answer the question. I asked if you HAD to move where would you go over 100 km AND over 1000 km?

This is just for fun but does make you think about what you like and dislike about the place you are in and the same for a place you HAD to move to. For me I stated London but for under 1000 km it would definatly be Nanaimo.

Also saying "somewhere in such and such a province" doesn't cut it. You are given 2 one-way tickets........one for 100 to 1000 km and another for over 1000 km so where would you choice to go?
No borders?
100 to 1000 would probably be one of the smaller cities on the east coast of Vancouver island (Campbell River, Comox, etc). They’re all quite expensive as someone123 said, but if work is not an issue I would assume money is not either. A few months ago I would have said the western coast of Oregon, but the USA is less appealing currently.

For more than 1000km, there’s a lot to choose from. I’d probably lean toward north west Portugal.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
London, UK; Lisbon; Edinburgh; or Buenos Aires.

In Canada, probably Toronto, but Victoria, Halifax, or Montreal could do.
Why Buenos Aires? It seemed like an interesting place to visit but the quality of life for the locals seems terrible. Massive inflation, decrepit infrastructure, tons of petty crime, terrible traffic. I can’t imagine anyone seeing that as an ideal situation.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:07 PM
Community Guy

Singapore, Brisbane, Chicago, Seattle, Dublin.

Halifax, Victoria, Ottawa

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:11 PM

Not at all realistic but I would love to move to some small town in Newfoundland or even St. Johns. I doubt it'll ever happen though sadly.

Outside of Canada I'd love to live in Northern Europe. Specifically Netherlands or northern Germany (Dusseldorf, Berlin, Bremen,...).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:15 PM

Moving at least 100 km (I'm assuming less than 1000 km) I'd move to somewhere like Kingston, Ontario or maybe Lake Placid NY or Vermont/NH (can I be assured that there it will be de-Trumped USA) and if it is greater than 1000 km it would be a small chocolate box town in England or maybe a place in the south of France or northern Italy and I will magically be able to speak fluent french/italian.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Why Buenos Aires? It seemed like an interesting place to visit but the quality of life for the locals seems terrible. Massive inflation, decrepit infrastructure, tons of petty crime, terrible traffic. I can’t imagine anyone seeing that as an ideal situation.
People want to go to the Dominican Republic/Cuba/Jamaica and they are similar although most people who go to those places are on bubble vacations.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:20 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Seems to me that if I HAD to move the destination would be determined for me, be it due to employment or personal factors.

If I ELECTED to move I'd probably chase a comparable standard and style of living but with a better climate. Florida or California maybe.

If I wanted a serious change, Greece.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:20 PM

My husband lived in Brazil for a few months last year while he was teaching there and enjoyed it. Brasilia had a nice charm to it, and was far less chaotic and more laid back compared to it's larger counterparts of Rio and Sao Paulo. Additionally, not having to shovel a certain four letter S word off the driveway in September is an added bonus.

In North America, I'd say either Vancouver or Los Angeles.

For a more adventurous taste, I'd even live in Cairo, Egypt. I have a strange thing for busy chaotic cities.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Scotland seems interesting but I dunno if I could do the grey skies. Vancouver is borderline for me.

Similar deal with Montreal and winter. I'd do it if I could leave for a few weeks or a month a year and didn't have to drive anywhere most days.

I like Vancouver Island and would probably move there if I had to move out of metro Vancouver or the Lower Mainland and stay in BC.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Fantasy city. I haven’t seen anything this year, but their economic woes likely make it relatively cheap for ex-pats. Sadly, it tends to periodically decimate their middle class.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
People want to go to the Dominican Republic/Cuba/Jamaica and they are similar although most people who go to those places are on bubble vacations.
I wouldn’t see those three countries as similar to Argentina. More like a less wealthy Spain, Portugal, or Italy.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
My husband lived in Brazil for a few months last year while he was teaching there and enjoyed it. Brasilia had a nice charm to it, and was far less chaotic and more laid back compared to it's larger counterparts of Rio and Sao Paulo. Additionally, not having to shovel a certain four letter S word off the driveway in September is an added bonus.

In North America, I'd say either Vancouver or Los Angeles.

For a more adventurous taste, I'd even live in Cairo, Egypt. I have a strange thing for busy chaotic cities.
Cairo certainly offers chaos ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada