HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
The market is great news, but that rendering is even better news. That looks hot! The entire project is really smart design and great urbanism. The Gallery could learn a thing or two.
Like I said in the Philly thread, this is a really incredible design. Brings to mind the iron fronts of Old City etc, while still keeping a contemporary flair. As much as I hate to see the facade fronting 11th Street get destroyed, this certainly takes the sting out of losing it.

The proposed tower over the Lit Brothers building (7th and Market) could take a cue from this....

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:51 PM

The layout of this project is a little confusing to me. But as I understand, there will be 1) a pedestrian only street (Chestnut Walk?) and 2) a small alley (Clover St?) for which cars will be able to enter a garage and which I believe is pictured in the rendering above. I recall reading somewhere that this alley street will include traffic calming features and it would make sense if it was paved with some sort of stone.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The layout of this project is a little confusing to me. But as I understand, there will be 1) a pedestrian only street (Chestnut Walk?) and 2) a small alley (Clover St?) for which cars will be able to enter a garage and which I believe is pictured in the rendering above. I recall reading somewhere that this alley street will include traffic calming features and it would make sense if it was paved with some sort of stone.
someone posted a link to the project details a couple pages back. Here's the relevant image.

http://i.imgur.com/rC5BDxz.jpg

MOMs appears to be R-150 at bottom center.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:35 PM

MOM's is leasing 16k SF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdiesel View Post
someone posted a link to the project details a couple pages back. Here's the relevant image.

http://i.imgur.com/rC5BDxz.jpg

MOMs appears to be R-150 at bottom center.

With 16k SF of space, that means MOM's takes up the entire groundfloor of that building (with maybe a small space carved out for something else?). Point being, the layout and size of those retail spaces is no longer correct, and I think we can expect that most of these spaces can get smaller and bigger by combining with their neighbors, depending on which retailers they attract at which times. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think they'll be anything but MOM's in the 11th Street building, at least at street level.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:53 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the site plan, I was trying to find that last night but couldn't come up with it. And I was definitely using "cobblestone" to mean "Belgian blocks", sorry for the colloquial confusion. Whatever non-asphalt thing it is, I love it and hope they do it irls.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 3:26 AM

I was on this work site today and was really surprised at how much demo they'd already done. From the street it's a little hard to tell, but most of the structure is down.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 4:18 PM

(For what it's worth, this is what I had in mind. I <3 this stuff.)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post

^ That appears to be a nice mortared Belgian block pattern, but based on the rendering (and the relative cost), I think we're more likely to get a dry-laid paver installation (or perhaps even patterned concrete)--not bad, but not quite as classy:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
With 16k SF of space, that means MOM's takes up the entire groundfloor of that building (with maybe a small space carved out for something else?). Point being, the layout and size of those retail spaces is no longer correct, and I think we can expect that most of these spaces can get smaller and bigger by combining with their neighbors, depending on which retailers they attract at which times. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think they'll be anything but MOM's in the 11th Street building, at least at street level.
The rendering made it look like MOM's will be two stories tall. Is it possible it's just 8000 sq ft on each floor?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 6:03 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

If it is two floors, I'd expect it to be laid out like Century 21--token space on the first floor, most of it on the second.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:16 AM

I'm guessing the "terrace" shown on the second floor is an amenity feature for the offices....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post

Please not this stuff. I recently spent a few months in Prague. While it's (IMO) the most beautiful city in the world, it's old town is laden with these. They fall out all the time and people just end up kicking them around. I also turned my ankle once or twice.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Like I said in the Philly thread, this is a really incredible design. Brings to mind the iron fronts of Old City etc, while still keeping a contemporary flair. As much as I hate to see the facade fronting 11th Street get destroyed, this certainly takes the sting out of losing it.

The proposed tower over the Lit Brothers building (7th and Market) could take a cue from this....
I have mixed feelings about the Lit Brothers tower. On one hand, if Stantec can't make it look original, I like that they went with a very minimalistic design. I like the juxtaposition. But on the other hand, that approach kind of ****es on the historic building. I do however love the digital signage. I think it's an awesome take on the signage that used to be on its roof.

But yeah, I agree with you, I do like the existing 11th Street facade of Snellenberg's warehouse. Like a lot of things in Philly, it's covered in grit and you have to really look to appreciate it. But the overall scope of this project really makes up for its loss.

One thing I freaking love about Philadelphia is how so many people can look beyond the soot and actually see stunning architecture, even people who don't give a **** about architecture. Not many cities have people like that. And it resonates in developers when they consider what to save. I wouldn't be surprised if NREA really weighed the pros and cons of restoring the building vs. refacing it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:15 PM
Clinically Registered

This is what mixed-use is all about. What better a place, to revive such a historic shopping destination.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:24 PM
BANNED

You can see straight through from market Street now. It would say the front wall will be coming down within a week. Hopefully my March they will be doing site excavation for the foundation.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:08 PM

I thought they were taking their sweet time with this until I rode past the site on the 23 bus yesterday. Most of the interior structure of this building is gone leaving only the street facing façade.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:32 PM

From 12th & Ludlow just now:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:51 AM

I'm really curious to see how the massive 80s-era McDonald's roof is going to be coming off.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:07 PM

Do we not have any insiders who work in the Aramark building? You could get a real comprehensive view of the demo from up above.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Do we not have any insiders who work in the Aramark building? You could get a real comprehensive view of the demo from up above.
I'm on the other side of the building and the conference room that over looks the project is in use. I will try to get an update before the sun goes down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive