HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:58 AM

Rounding the tops of the two "bars" flanking the acute SW corner would make them more harmonious with the rounded corner.

This is another building with almost all studio and 1 bdrm, with just three 2 bdrm per floor.

Does anyone know if the ratio of studio, 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm being built in Portland now is consistent with the demand for studio, 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm?

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 6:43 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post

[url=https://ibb.co/nQXjgT]
I don't mind this at all except for the grey vertical bars jutting out on each side of the corner... it makes this building feel aggressive.
That looks like the building that was once planned for that corner if you chop off the tower portion of it and only built the base. The design is mediocre, but that is what I expected to be built on that site.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:35 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
I don't mind this at all except for the grey vertical bars jutting out on each side of the corner... it makes this building feel aggressive.[/QUOTE]

When you have a look at floor plans 2 through 6, it is clear that the gray vertical protrusions that slice through the south and west façades are useless, obtrusive, and clumsy. They should be removed. In addition, how about another color choice than dark gray? There is WAY too much dark gray cladding new buildings in Portland.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:50 PM

I like the design, including the bars that obviously are apart of the floorplan with windows in those bars. For a stumpy building, it's actually kinda stylish.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:10 AM

I like the way this building would define the street, which used to be a kind of given back in the day but no more. On the other hand, you never really know with neo-Moderne design if the execution and materiality will deliver. As an example, the Cordelia in NW (the Moderne half) is really clunky. Grant Park Village, which if it can be said to have style at all, is essentially a horror show of very weak design. The Dianne in the Pearl, however, is fairly decent with nice accents. I know retro architecture is despised for its reactionary flavoring but if it blends with an existing neighborhood, I think it can be effective. The problem is you never know until it's built, and I really wouldn't bet the house that this design here will do that.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:

I don't mind this at all except for the grey vertical bars jutting out on each side of the corner... it makes this building feel aggressive.
Completely agree, and now I can't unsee them.....

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine what would be happening on the interior that would make these narrow bays comfortable spaces?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:03 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Portland Public unveils $245M plan for Lincoln High School

The new vision for Lincoln High School calls for a seven-story tower of academic classrooms and teaching space. A center courtyard will separate the tower from a three-story theater and a gym above an adequately sized (finally) cafeteria.

Inner Southwest Portland's Lincoln High is densely packed with 1,700 largely high-achieving students. Complaints of the small, inadequate cafeteria have been a frequent rallying cry for the Cardinals community.

The inner city school is scheduled break ground on its new building in 2020, to open for the 2022-23 academic year. The building is still envisioned as a 289,000-square-foot plan with 206,000 square feet as instructional space.
...continues at the Portland Tribune.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:59 PM

That is a heck of a lot of a money for a high school and I say that as a Lincoln alum and public school supporter.

To me this seems like a two birds with one stone opportunity. PPS can sell their HQ lot to the baseball folks and build a taller building on top of the classrooms at Lincoln.

To me it seems like their is ample space upon which they can build along 14th. Heck, there is nearly two whole blocks upon which they can build. Is it really necessary to tear down the existing building? Moving the current track and soccer/football field seems like a really unneccessary expense.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:22 PM

The track appears to be about 6 acres, or six Portland blocks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:47 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
That is a heck of a lot of a money for a high school and I say that as a Lincoln alum and public school supporter.

To me this seems like a two birds with one stone opportunity. PPS can sell their HQ lot to the baseball folks and build a taller building on top of the classrooms at Lincoln.

To me it seems like their is ample space upon which they can build along 14th. Heck, there is nearly two whole blocks upon which they can build. Is it really necessary to tear down the existing building? Moving the current track and soccer/football field seems like a really unneccessary expense.
My guess is they will keep the original high school open during construction of the new one, thus the reason for moving the field because it will then replace the old high school building once the new one is complete.

It does make sense to incorporate PPS into this building as upper floors, thus making the building taller and consolidating things....though we are also talking about the PPS, not much faith in them to make that decision.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:47 AM

I like the idea of incorporating PPS admin into schools. I think the admin should be exposed on a daily basis to actual school activity, drink the same water as the kids, ride the same undersized elevators, etc. I would spread the admin out among multiple schools, and not all the nice new rebuilt ones.

The site is not flat. The current school building is on a grade that is significantly higher than the field (maybe 10-15' higher?). Are they planning to excavate a football field sized area, or fill a similar area?

The design places the field close to the 405 freeway. Does this raise air quality issues?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
The track appears to be about 6 acres, or six Portland blocks.
I would imagine that a lot of the space under the track could be used for parking and other facilities (weight room, locker rooms, etc) Certainly two of the corners around the track could also be developed. Another financing opportunity...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 6:40 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
My guess is they will keep the original high school open during construction of the new one, thus the reason for moving the field because it will then replace the old high school building once the new one is complete.

It does make sense to incorporate PPS into this building as upper floors, thus making the building taller and consolidating things....though we are also talking about the PPS, not much faith in them to make that decision.
You are correct. In my reading about this project, I learned that students will continue to attend classes in the existing school during construction of the new building. They will have to go elsewhere for an athletic field during the construction. Furthermore it is forbidden to construct any building over the SW 16th and 17th Avenue easements due to existing utilities there. In addition, there is a requirement to reconnect a pathway through the site for pedestrians along the 16th or 17th alignment. So the tall building along SW 18th makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 1:25 AM

Request for Response for 1715 SW Salmon St

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:23 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing for 1715 SW Salmon

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:50 PM

Drawings [156 MB] and Staff Report, which recommends approval, for 1715 SW Salmon St.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 9:57 PM

Code issues

That looks like a long path of egress travel from the dead end corridors and dead end bike room to the nearest exit at the west stair.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
I can't imagine what would be happening on the interior that would make these narrow bays comfortable spaces?
Glad they nixed the narrow bays though!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland