HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
If we don't get a MLS team, I'm all for the Austin Natural Science Museum. If this is nothing more than hyperbole, then may the proposal be damned. If we lose the chance to land an MLS team, then they better prove the financial backing to break ground by eoy and not leave this site vacant for another 20 years or leave us with something that doesn't come close to the fancy conceptional drawings they have produced. As presented, it looks like an ideal location for Amazon, yet another mystery waiting to be resolved. If anything, gotta love the drama and the antisipation. If this is the result of opposition to the Crew coming here, I'm not opposed to it. But I see simularities to the Brackenridge developement concept drawings and the earlier concept drawings north of the Capitol Building. Hyperbole, nothing more. Shit or get off the pot. Its obvious the Crew are ready to shit in Austin...er that didn't come out so well....
A planetarium would be nice too. I think we're the largest city without a planetarium ... ?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:48 PM

Let's be honest with these proposals though, this would be an awful area for development like this - especially museums, etc.

McKalla Place is nested between JJ Pickle and swathes of industrial/commercial that wouldn't support this level of density. It's also far enough away from The Domain and major road arteries to not properly utilize either. No developer would finance this project as there is no residential draw to this area that The Domain hasn't already secured, no unique financial opportunity that Domain/Gateway/Arbor Walk hasn't capitalized on, no proper infrastructure in place to easily support several thousand new residents, and most importantly no clear return on investment for the near future.

The only thing that makes sense in that local ecosystem is something like a stadium. If these proposals were (1) bordering the Domain or (2) in conjunction with the stadium proposal then maybe it could work as it'll gradually improve/flip that area to support it. No one is going to want to live in a high rise not in the Domain, not on a major roadway, and in the middle of the Metric business parks. Additionally, no one is taking their kid into a light industrial area in North Austin to go to a planetarium.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:52 AM

Maravilla senior living apartments via Big Red Dog:

https://twitter.com/BIG__RED__DOG

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:47 AM

Noticed the Domain tower lit up tonight. Here it is from Braker:

The picture makes it look purple (iPhone camera) but it's a blue that transitions to white. It's VERY bright from 183N as well as Burnet, really catches the eye. If the other new towers up there have lighting schemes then this emerging N Austin skyline is really going to change the way this area looks at night.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:02 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Noticed the Domain tower lit up tonight. Here it is from Braker:

The picture makes it look purple (iPhone camera) but it's a blue that transitions to white. It's VERY bright from 183N as well as Burnet, really catches the eye. If the other new towers up there have lighting schemes then this emerging N Austin skyline is really going to change the way this area looks at night.
Wow a light show on buildings in north Austin? I’m impressed. Hope we get more.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:42 AM
World Traveler

That is neat to see some more aesthetic effort going into stuff up there. Very cool.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:36 AM

Should look good from the MLS Stadium.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 9:27 PM
Meh

https://www.statesman.com/business/s...rtH8hpeImoPfN/
Quote:
Sources: Facebook to lease entire 17-story tower at Austin’s Domain

56 minutes ago
By Shonda Novak, American-Statesman Staff

Social media giant Facebook Inc. plans to add to its Austin presence by leasing an entire new office tower at the Domain, according to multiple local real estate industry sources.

Facebook will lease all of Domain 12, a 17-story office building under construction at the Domain mixed-use project in North Austin, according to commercial real estate brokers who spoke to the American-Statesman on the condition of anonymity.

Facebook currently occupies three floors in Domain 8, another office building at the Domain, and has offices in downtown Austin, where it employs about 700 people.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:26 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wow Facebook is gaining a lot of space in Austin. Hopefully a good sign for hq2 amazon?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:44 AM

I am curious, and somewhat embarrassed that I don't know what all these Facebook employees in Austin (and other cities) actually do. Sell advertising? Review content? Support? It seems like a lot of employees for software development or R&D. The vast majority of content there is user generated or aggregated from news sources, so it doesn't seem like it would be that (vs. Netflix or something).

Now Amazon and Apple, I can understand why they would need boatloads of employees. Google has Android and Chrome and self-driving cars, etc... so that explains their headcount. Facebook's rather large headcount (>25K total) is baffling to me, and I know that's because I'm missing something...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I am curious, and somewhat embarrassed that I don't know what all these Facebook employees in Austin (and other cities) actually do. Sell advertising? Review content? Support? It seems like a lot of employees for software development or R&D. The vast majority of content there is user generated or aggregated from news sources, so it doesn't seem like it would be that (vs. Netflix or something).

Now Amazon and Apple, I can understand why they would need boatloads of employees. Google has Android and Chrome and self-driving cars, etc... so that explains their headcount. Facebook's rather large headcount (>25K total) is baffling to me, and I know that's because I'm missing something...
I'm glad you asked this question because I was thinking the same thing and I hope someone can provide some insight. I know I'm missing something, but it seems like FB just kinda sits there, stewing in its own juices. I don't see a lot of innovation, new products, etc..... What are all those people doing?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:02 AM
World Traveler

They review everyone's posts and send them up the chain to the ad-control dept., as well as the political-thinking-control dept., and then the 25-people-on-your-feed-algorithm dept. Then those guys send it all to the Russians.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:52 PM
クラブトクヨ

Facebook also own other platforms and technologies, its not just facebook.com.

Don't they own instagram, whatsapp and crowdtangle? They also own Oculus VR

$40 billion in revenue and $84 billion in assets.

Its wiki....so don't hold against me, but this is what it has listed as things Facebook has bought out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ns_by_Facebook

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post

Here is a list of Facebook's current (123 as of this post) job openings in Austin: https://www.facebook.jobs/austin/texas/usa/jobs/

These pretty much run the gambit of tech industry jobs, from what I can tell. I'm not in said industry. We do have some facebook forumers...maybe one or more will chime in with some insight.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:12 AM

In addition to their ad platform and infrastructure being much more complicated than many people probably assume, as others have stated FB does own virtually every other top social media app aside from Snap and Twitter.

They're also one of those companies that has so much free capital that they throw it into side / vanity projects that aren't necessarily commercial or directly related to the core business, including open source tech. For example, they are behind React, which is one of the most popular and widely-used Javascript frameworks right now. They're a little like Google in that way.

You can see a lot of their open source stuff here: https://code.fb.com/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 5:54 AM

Yeah they pretty much run the gamut of tech industry jobs. However, what AusTxDevelopment linked is only for non-contract work. There are a lot of contract workers; largely in content review and ad review. That should be safe to say. Anytime you guys call on us Facebook workers, it's tough because we have to be pretty tight-lipped.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:35 AM
Meh

FAA permit for Domain 10 (building) 225 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...4425628&row=17

FAA permit for crane - 285 feet

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...4426458&row=18

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:15 PM

I see the Domain from a distance, about 5 miles, several times a week. Even with the new construction happening now and down the pike, the 'skyline' there is stuck on the 200ish plateau that is in desperate need of a 3 - 400 footer. Otherwise it will never boast a true 2nd skyline, no matter how dense it gets. Its much more impressive from close up and from street level. Still, there is so much potential that's going to make it interesting to see in 5 or so years. Sound familiar?
Maybe it would be worthy of a forum meet visit in say, 2025.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
FAA permit for Domain 10 (building) 225 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...4425628&row=17

FAA permit for crane - 285 feet

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...4426458&row=18

How many stories are 225 and 285 feet? My math sucks lol

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
How many stories are 225 and 285 feet? My math sucks lol
Generically, people would say a 225 foot building is "22 stories" or that 285 feet is "28 stories". It's a useless system though because a 22 story office building is going to be much taller than a 22 story residential building or a hotel, maybe by as much as 100 feet.

Domain 10 is planned with 15 actual floors.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin