HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 7:58 PM

Demolished building next to Essex House:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:49 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Any info on the new building on SW 2nd & Jefferson? Is it taking up the entire half block between Jefferson & Columbia (please say yes!) ...? Timeline?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:38 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
Demolished building next to Essex House
There is a big sign that says 'pending sale' or something like that on the fence for the demolition site.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:21 PM

Oregonian: 25 to 30-story building envisioned next to Essex House.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:41 PM

^Here's some highlights about the development from that article. There is a lot of history of the site if you click into the news story.

Old Pendleton Building in downtown Portland enters last chapter of its 107-year history
By Sara Hottman, The Oregonian
on July 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._river_default

Quote:

Pendleton PDX LLC, a company of individual investors that bought the property in April for $1.7 million, is having the building demolished with plans to sell it shovel-ready to a developer; it already has an agreement with a buyer. Investors envision a 25- to 30-story high rise that utilizes the 350-foot height for which the property is zoned.

Eighty-three years to the day after Pendleton's move to Jefferson Street was announced, a city inspector deemed the building unsafe to occupy.

The building changed hands a few times over the years -- in 1989 as Pendleton left; in 1997 when a New York developer bought up the block; in 2007 when a private equity group purchased it for California Public Employees' Retirement System -- but owners never developed the property.

When Pendleton PDX LLC opened up the building this spring, the stench of mold and rot overtook the block, says Mark Madden, with WDC Properties and managing member of the LLC.

Previous owners had let the roof deteriorate, allowing rainwater to rot the timbers and structure. The new owners initially wanted to renovate the building, but the necessary modernization was too expensive, Madden says. Demolition and cleanup will cost about $300,000.

Now they're looking at turning the old horse stable into a "landmark-type structure" that adds to Portland's skyline, Madden says. They'll know sometime in August what the buyer plans to do.

Meanwhile, the demolition that started at the end of June will be finished by the end of July.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 6:02 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I kind of feel bad for people at the Essex House. They lived with construction next door as the federal building became a giant erector set, and now here they go again with a building on the other half of their own block. Oof.

Quote:
Now they're looking at turning the old horse stable into a "landmark-type structure" that adds to Portland's skyline, Madden says. They'll know sometime in August what the buyer plans to do.
Meanwhile, PAW can't find enough tenants to begin construction. Then again, they could be talking about high rise condos, but I have trouble imagining that for some reason.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:08 PM

Yeah, but apartments wouldn't surprise me

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 9:30 PM

If someone actually replaces that old building with a 350 ft tower, which I assume will have to be residential (right? given the inability to get projects like PAW and One Waterfront off the ground?), I will be very happy. We need more residents downtown and we need some new towers to pump up our underwhelming central city skyline.

So, apartments or condos? With Hoyt preparing, hopefully, to build that condo tower in the Pearl, will the local market support another tall-ish condo tower? And with all the apt's coming on line, including the Lloyd superblock, at what point do we end up with oversupply, particularly in what I'm guessing will be the higher end of pricing?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 11:28 PM

According to Richard Florida (on www.theatlanticcities.com about a year ago), when the recession hit and we stopped building anything, we built up such a backlog of demand for housing among millenials - who tend to want an urban lifestyle, compared, at least, to previous generations - that even if all we built was urban housing from now on, we won't catch up for something like 30 years. With the economy picking up, all those people who had roommates over the past few years will want their own places. Add in the number of people coming of age who want to move out of their parents', and I think the market can handle a lot of new housing. The question is whether it can handle housing as expensive as this is likely to be.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
If someone actually replaces that old building with a 350 ft tower, which I assume will have to be residential (right? given the inability to get projects like PAW and One Waterfront off the ground?), I will be very happy. We need more residents downtown and we need some new towers to pump up our underwhelming central city skyline.
Totally agree... but that's a tough spot for residential. It's directly facing a parking garage with another parking garage diagonally across the street. And the area isn't a neighborhood at all. I used to live in the Essex House, which always felt out of place given its surroundings. The Essex House always seems to have trouble leasing and has changed hands (and names!) a few times in the last few years. It was more highbrow when I lived there (1998/99). The building had a doorman back then.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see a residential tower built on that half-block, but I sure wouldn't want to be in charge of leasing one.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:00 AM

Anyone wanna bet that "25-30 stories" quickly turns into 5 or 6?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:35 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
That's exactly what I think, though I'd still be thrilled to see 5 or 6 stories of a half block building there, especially if it's residential. I'd of course prefer 25 to 30 stories. Anything would be better than an abandoned building and a surface parking lot. OK, 'almost' anything.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Ha! it's only a matter of time.

*knock on wood*

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and "iconic" turns into Hardie Board.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 1:37 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Yeah, and "iconic" turns into Hardie Board.
Or a PAW Hole. Anything is better than the PAW Hole.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Or a PAW Hole. Anything is better than the PAW Hole.
I'd rather have a PAW hole than a parking lot...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
Demolished building next to Essex House:

"On July 17, GBD Architects filed an early assistance intake with the city for a proposed 23-story, 300-room hotel, with 24 apartments and 6,000 square feet of retail for the property at 202 S.W. Jefferson St."

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/07/24...#ixzz2a2HY5y8j

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
"On July 17, GBD Architects filed an early assistance intake with the city for a proposed 23-story, 300-room hotel, with 24 apartments and 6,000 square feet of retail for the property at 202 S.W. Jefferson St."

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/07/24...#ixzz2a2HY5y8j
Ummm really? This would be awesome. I think the hotel market is doing pretty well right now actually, and obviously apartments are too these days .... hopefully this becomes reality! DT could use some fresh high-rise architecture in that area... not that 23 stories is so huge, but whatever we can get.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Former Pendleton Building site in downtown Portland sold to hotel group

A New York-based hotel management firm has purchased a half-block property in downtown Portland with plans to build a 23-story, 300-room hotel.

The site, at 218 S.W. Jefferson, is the former Pendleton Woolen Mills company headquarters purchased by a group of investors earlier this year. Pendleton PDX LLC demolished the existing building to create a shovel-ready lot for a high-rise development.

The investors sold the parcel for $4.5 million to Portland Hotel Ownership LLC in a deal that closed Tuesday, according to Multnomah County records. That company is affiliated with Widewaters Hotels LLC of Syracuse, N.Y.
more at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
That's exciting news. At 23 floors, I guess that would put it at least the height of the Ladd Tower at ~240 feet. It would be quite an addition to downtown in that spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland