HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:43 AM
A before E

That is awesome news, for 23 stories, let's hope they go with a great architecture design to help the hotel stand out. Curious what else this hotel company has in stock to give Portland a good idea of what to expect.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:55 AM

From what I have read....nothing special...typical Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Sheraton, Four Points, etc.....I didn't see anything that stood out architecturally on their website:

http://widewatershotels.com/

One can hope that something really special rises from this site..

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 7:19 AM

Well, my eyes hurt after looking through their website. Even still, there's reason to be optimistic - a 23 story building in the heart of downtown is going to have to go through Type III Design Review, and all that that entails. They can't just take a suburban model and apply it to Portland.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Well, my eyes hurt after looking through their website. Even still, there's reason to be optimistic - a 23 story building in the heart of downtown is going to have to go through Type III Design Review, and all that that entails. They can't just take a suburban model and apply it to Portland.
Yikes! You're not kidding. There wasn't one single property of theirs that wasn't hideous.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 6:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Well that is good to know at least. Let's hope the design review puts enough pressure on them so that they at least build something modest.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 1:46 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Honestly, at that location, as long as the street level is appealing, I'll be glad to see it. I'm surprised though. I thought this was going to be an apartment building...?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 11:49 PM

I've actually stayed at the Woodcliff which is one of their properties, but it was probably way before they owned it. I'm actually familiar with a few of their other hotels from them being clients at a job I used to work at as well, and I'm fairly surprised they're doing their first downtown style hotel so far from their headquarters.

From a glance at their web site this will be their first property west of Utah, and that one's not even open yet. Hopefully since it's such an aggressive move for a company of that size they make this a real landmark property.

I'm curious what brand they'll go with for it. Their Sheraton Tarrytown ownership makes me wonder what kind of ties they have to corporate since it's been used in a few pilot programs that I know of due to being convenient for a lot of Starwood executives to get to.

I wouldn't expect it to be a Hyatt (since the Convention Center hotel will be a Hyatt), but I know Starwood was interested in getting involved in the CC hotel. There are no Sheratons in downtown, and almost every other major brand except W already has a downtown Portland location.

It would be an awesome location for a W though, and the 24 residences mentioned in the OregonLive article make me wonder if it will be a W Hotel and Residences? It would seem like a long shot, but I can't think of any other brands that would be a good fit for a project like the one described.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:23 PM

Old Pendleton building hotel - 23 stories

http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porc...ding_site.html

Does anyone know the current status of this project? Were any renderings ever released?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I have no idea, but I passed by the site yesterday and what I saw didn't look like good news. The entire site - half a block - isn't fenced off anymore. It's just an open vacant lot now. I sure do hope it doesn't stay that way.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porc...ding_site.html

Does anyone know the current status of this project? Were any renderings ever released?
The lot was purchased by The Widewaters Group Inc in late November. They're a large development company that seems to work a lot with the big hotel chains, Starwood, Marriott and Hilton. http://widewaters.com/

Hopefully they're working on plans and not just holding the lot for future development.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:41 AM

Iirc ZGF will spearhead that project.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 2:56 PM

Porter Hotel (Curio by Hilton) | 190' | 16 floors | U/C

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...d-in-2016.html

Anyone know what brand of Hilton this will be?

Hilton Worldwide officials Monday revealed that they’ll open a new high-end hotel brand in downtown Portland.
The site and name of the project hasn’t been revealed, but The Widewaters Group Inc., which Hilton said will develop the structure, bought the former Pendleton Woolen Mills property last November. The site is at 218 S.W. Jefferson St.
Construction would begin on the Hilton project, part of the new Curio line-up, in early 2015. The hotel is expected to open in late 2016.
The Curio “will be a carefully selected, global collection of distinctive four- to five-star hotels,” the company said in a release. It’s also developing the facilities in Las Vegas, Houston, Chapel Hill, N.C. and Rapid City, South Dakota.
The Las Vegas spot will open on the site of the former Sahara Hotel & Resort. The renovation cost $415 million.

Last edited by Tanaka07; Aug 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM. Reason: 23 floors

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...d-in-2016.html

Anyone know what brand of Hilton this will be?

Hilton Worldwide officials Monday revealed that they’ll open a new high-end hotel brand in downtown Portland.
The site and name of the project hasn’t been revealed, but The Widewaters Group Inc., which Hilton said will develop the structure, bought the former Pendleton Woolen Mills property last November. The site is at 218 S.W. Jefferson St.
Construction would begin on the Hilton project, part of the new Curio line-up, in early 2015. The hotel is expected to open in late 2016.
The Curio “will be a carefully selected, global collection of distinctive four- to five-star hotels,” the company said in a release. It’s also developing the facilities in Las Vegas, Houston, Chapel Hill, N.C. and Rapid City, South Dakota.
The Las Vegas spot will open on the site of the former Sahara Hotel & Resort. The renovation cost $415 million.
From what you just posted it looks like it will be their new line called The Curio. From a press release from Hilton:

Quote:
Created for travelers who seek local discovery and authentic experiences, Curio will be a carefully selected, global collection of distinctive four to five star hotels. Just as the word "curio" can refer to something of interest, unique or even rare, each Curio hotel will be different from the next, with individuality being a common thread, along with the quiet reassurance of the Hilton name behind every location.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:26 PM

Glad to see the site being developed, and maybe with the big-name, swanky branding, it won't be as suburban and garish as the development company's other offerings.

It's an interesting location surrounded by a lot of sterile office space. I hope it activates the area.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 8:19 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Is it me, or does that site keep changing? I'd swear it was going to be apartments at one point. Regardless, it'll be great to see something built there. The site was fenced off for a while after the old building was torn down, and when the fences were removed I thought it might have been a bad sign.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 8:52 PM

^Yeah, it has an elaborate 'recent' history. The lot originally sold in 2007 as part of a package deal to buy the KOIN Tower. It was a planned office tower but economic crash, etc. etc. prevented anything from being developed. I believe the guys that built the EkoHaus crap bought the half block in spring of 2013 and initiated the plan to tear down the building (or perhaps rehab part of it) and build a 6-story micro-apartment building. Not sure all the details, but he cleared the land and sold it six months later for $4.5M (he paid only $1.7M so he probably couldn't pass up the offer.)

The buyer, Widewater Group has held onto it since and has mentioned a 20+ story hotel in the past.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 7:36 AM

http://djcoregon.com/files/2013/12/202swjefferson.pdf

I thought the site was being redeveloped as a 350' tower with both residential and hotel space? The renderings are from GBD Architects.

Sorry if my formatting is incorrect, I am new to this site.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 7:56 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Nice find - I hadn't seen that before. It looks to me as if it's just a conceptual design, for the purpose of illustrating to a potential buyer what the zoning allows.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:40 PM

More news:

Quote:
Hilton announces plans for high-end Portland hotel

By Elliot Njus | enjus@oregonian.com

Hilton Worldwide said Monday it plans to open a downtown Portland hotel in 2016, part of a new lineup of high-end boutique hotels.

The as yet unnamed Portland hotel will join hotels in Las Vegas, Houston, Rapid City, S.D., and Chapel Hill, N.C., in what Hilton is calling the Curio Collection. The company says the collection will include four- or five-star hotels, each operating under its own distinctive brand.

Hilton doesn't specify where the Portland hotel will be located. But the hotel's developer, The Widewaters Group Inc., bought the former Pendleton Woolen Mills headquarters at 218 S.W. Jefferson St. last year.

The group showed city development officials plans for the half-block site that included 300 hotel rooms, as well as 24 apartments and some retail space. The project would be 23 stories tall.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 10:48 PM
BANNED

So 23 stories, not bad. Should dense the area and be pretty visible

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland