HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:22 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Another example for scale:

Is this the ZGF design? I'm really glad they're not going with TVA on this one.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Is this the ZGF design? I'm really glad they're not going with TVA on this one.
That design is fantastic. I love the TVA design as well and hope that gets built in the area in the near future. But this design is clearly taller than 30 stories. But I love this design. What project was this? This is the pizzazz the skyline needs more of.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:09 PM
BANNED

That's not the design at all. The poster was just giving a rough example

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
According to a tweet by DJC reporter Chuck Slowther, the project will have 350 residential units.
So should we expect something closer to the John Ross or the Mirabella.... In terms of height?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:02 PM

Its hard to tell how tall it will be. 30 stories can greatly vary depending on design. The zoning allows for 460'

At 30 stories it should land between 325 and 460 feet. It will top out somewhere between Mirabella which is 30 stories at 325' and Park Avenue West which is 30 stories at 460'.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:33 PM

With all the office space projects in pipeline, the likely hood this is a mixed-use tower is slim to none. That's where the Park Avenue West Tower really gains it's height.

Last edited by Stumptown503; Aug 5, 2016 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Another example for scale:

Where did this design come from? I haven't seen it circulate around. While this would look cool given its' prominent location, the actual tower will likely be much shorter. If it's all residential, I would estimate it's height to be 325'. If it will truly be mixed-use, then 460' at best. The TVA design had around 35 floors and looked to be about 500'. Either way, redeveloping this property will be great, it's currently an eyesore in a district with nice, old high-rises.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumptown503 View Post
With all the office space projects in pipeline, the likely hood this is a mixed-use tower is slim to none. That's where the Park Avenue West Tower really gains it's height.
Well they did say "mixed use", if the rumor of 350 residential units is correct, that only leaves a hotel or office space for the rest of it. With the number of hotels rooms under construction or in advanced planning, I'm not sure I would go in that direction. While there are many office projects under way, not a lot of them are in the downtown core.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:59 PM

True, I can only think of 3 projects that are in the core. Given Downtown Portland's low commercial vacancy rate & its current absorption rate. The developers should be able to fill the space. My original comment was based on looking at the city of Portland as a whole vs. the downtown submarket. Once you factor in the proposed Zidell Yards development, the Central Eastside ( Clay Creative phase 2. ) The Field office buildings north of the Fremont Bridge and Station Place in the Pearl District. That is a lot of commercial space to absorb.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
That's not the design at all. The poster was just giving a rough example
I get that, but I sure hope it's on that level. That's sweet!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 12:27 AM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference. Pretty much all it reveals is this:

Quote:
Pre-application conference to discuss a proposed for a 30-story, mixed use building on on a 20,000 square foot site (half block). The proposal includes ground floor retail, 350 residential units and five floors of
underground parking. The garage entry is on SW Stark

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 1:32 AM

HFF Development

This is the source of the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 4:39 PM

Thanks Sioux. Pretty fancy offering. Obviously a lot of design work was done here, as was with TVA's design. Are these all for the same block? I really would love both designs to get done. Obviously, the ZGF project, being a residential, not mixed use, will be a different design, and probably at most, 350 FT. Still awesome. Hopefully those office projects get going forward soon as well.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 4:48 PM

I guess having the ground floor retail makes it "Mixed Use" as well.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 5:19 PM

Does anyone know who did the design on that HFF Development project? Very sharp.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 10:10 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this but this would be the perfect site for a "new tallest".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 12:17 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this but this would be the perfect site for a "new tallest".
That would be nice, but until the arbitrary 460' height limit is eliminated Downtown, we're stuck with nothing taller than PAW.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 5:36 AM

To be honest, I don't like this design; to me it just looks way too similar to the 3720 building. Maybe to see I dislike it is too strong - more like, meh, boring.

However, that lot already has 5 levels of underground parking, right? So they can start construction at ground level? That should speed things along / make it pencil out more easily.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
To be honest, I don't like this design; to me it just looks way too similar to the 3720 building. Maybe to see I dislike it is too strong - more like, meh, boring.

However, that lot already has 5 levels of underground parking, right? So they can start construction at ground level? That should speed things along / make it pencil out more easily.
I doubt that underground parking was designed to hold a 30 story structure. Most likely will be torn down so piles can be driven and new parking built around them.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 2:27 PM

Everyone has different taste design-wise for sure. I just hope it's sleek. TVA's design, to me, is fantastic. I love their work. ZGF has been great on design for Institutions, and hospitals, but I didn't like what they did to their HQ Building, and those dorky windmills are an eye sore, IMO, even though I like the concept of that kind of power. I just don't see them as doing highrise architecture very well. Their big Seattle building is just so-so. Again, not very sleek.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland