HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
60% of the Chinese economy is powered by domestic (consumer) demand (Canada's is 70%). It is ranked second, globally, for imports, behind the United States. Your perspective is outdated. I am not saying there aren't speculative excesses in the Chinese economy, but your depiction is both facile and wrong.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Chin...-what-it-seems

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:36 PM

Looks like Venezuela is getting ready to break off diplomatic relations with Canada, among others. Since Canada does not recognize the new Maduro government as legitimate, I've been wondering whether we won't be obliged to shut down their embassy in Ottawa.

Ironically, since the USA is not part of the "Lima Group" of countries that has been pressuring the Maduro regime, they will escape the wrath of Maduro (so to speak).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ven...land-1.4973575

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jan 11, 2019 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

The Saudi woman who made headlines around the world after fleeing to Thailand for fear of her life has been granted asylum in Canada:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ded-to-canada/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The Saudi woman who made headlines around the world after fleeing to Thailand for fear of her life has been granted asylum in Canada:

I have no problem with this. She has been vocal in her criticisms of the Saudi regime and has renounced Islam. I'm sure if she were ever to return to SA that she would be killed. She needs asylum.

She should be advised however to keep well away from the Saudi embassy in Canada though (#Khashhoggi)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Looks like Venezuela is getting ready to break off diplomatic relations with Canada, among others. Since Canada does not recognize the new Maduro government as legitimate, I've been wondering whether we won't be obliged to shut down their embassy in Ottawa.

Ironically, since the USA is not part of the "Lima Group" of countries that has been pressuring the Maduro regime, they will escape the wrath of Maduro (so to speak).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ven...land-1.4973575
I wonder how long until Venezuela undergoes a revolution. I can't see them completely going like Zimbabwe. You can only push people so far until someone puts Maduro up against the wall.

Venezuela is one of the biggest economic basket-cases of this century.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have no problem with this. She has been vocal in her criticisms of the Saudi regime and has renounced Islam. I'm sure if she were ever to return to SA that she would be killed. She needs asylum.

She should be advised however to keep well away from the Saudi embassy in Canada though (#Khashhoggi)
And a nice chance for Trudeau and Freeland to tweak Bin Salman's nose.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:30 PM
Highway Geek

duplicate post

A: Hook up a trailer to the back of the pickup truck and get from one Bay to the other Bay. Then you can understand which is more of a better highway to upgrade.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jan 11, 2019 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:24 PM

How coincidental.

A senior Huawei Canada executive who served as the public face of the Chinese firm in this country since 2011 is parting ways with the Shenzen company as it faces growing problems around the world.

Scott Bradley, a well-connected corporate lobbyist who endeavoured to portray Huawei as a beneficial contributor to Canada’s economic development, quietly left the company earlier this week.

Mr. Bradley would not discuss the reasons for his departure when contacted by The Globe and Mail on Friday but Huawei released a statement saying he had played a crucial role in building the Chinese telecom’s brand in Canada and outreach to governments...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...e-leaves-firm/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:36 PM

More interesting, I thought, was the arrest in Poland yesterday of a Huawei executive on spying charges.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:

Fantastic.

These are the Muslims we should be taking in: those ideologically opposed to the pathological, Islamist regimes of their homeland. I hope more men and women follow her lead.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:51 PM

Seems like another publicity stunt for the Liberal party. I didn’t know Freeland was also the “Welcome Wagon” minister that will meet and greet you at the airport. Price of immigration to Canada I suppose, pose for a photo with the foreign affairs minister.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ves-in-toronto

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Seems like another publicity stunt for the Liberal party. I didn’t know Freeland was also the “Welcome Wagon” minister that will meet and greet you at the airport. Price of immigration to Canada I suppose, pose for a photo with the foreign affairs minister.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ves-in-toronto
Another "Look at how great we are" moment for this government. I'm overjoyed that we quickly got this girl out of danger. But the grandstanding from this gang is getting tiresome.

But then maybe the current government just could not pass up the opportunity of showing how deplorable the KSA is to the world.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:26 AM

you know what would save a lot more lives? cancelling the weapons contract

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
you know what would save a lot more lives? cancelling the weapons contract
Do you really believe that?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Another "Look at how great we are" moment for this government. I'm overjoyed that we quickly got this girl out of danger. But the grandstanding from this gang is getting tiresome.

But then maybe the current government just could not pass up the opportunity of showing how deplorable the KSA is to the world.
So the route to expedited refugee status involves social media celebrity, physical attractiveness and visiting a Liberal Party stylist before posing for contrived pictures?

Last edited by Doug; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:

Coming from a cynic (me), that might be a tad far. I don't care who's doing it or what their motives are, the denouncement of and detachment from Saudi should be very high on our foreign policy to-do list.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
So the route to expedited refugee status involves social media celebrity, physical attractiveness and visiting a Liberal Party stylist before posing for contrived pictures?
No it involves an imminent threat of death. However it’s unsurprising you would be critical.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Coming from a cynic (me), that might be a tad far. I don't care who's doing it or what their motives are, the denouncement of and detachment from Saudi should be very high on our foreign policy to-do list.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't be even more critical of the KSA. I'm just rather critical of our government making everything a "look at us!" moment.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:16 AM

Quote:
No it involves an imminent threat of death. However it’s unsurprising you would be critical.
So where are the poses with non-Tweeting, average looking refugees facing imminent death?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that we shouldn't be even more critical of the KSA. I'm just rather critical of our government making everything a "look at us!" moment.
Point taken.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada