HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:32 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
60% of the Chinese economy is powered by domestic (consumer) demand (Canada's is 70%). It is ranked second, globally, for imports, behind the United States. Your perspective is outdated. I am not saying there aren't speculative excesses in the Chinese economy, but your depiction is both facile and wrong.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Chin...-what-it-seems
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:36 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 15,121
Looks like Venezuela is getting ready to break off diplomatic relations with Canada, among others. Since Canada does not recognize the new Maduro government as legitimate, I've been wondering whether we won't be obliged to shut down their embassy in Ottawa.

Ironically, since the USA is not part of the "Lima Group" of countries that has been pressuring the Maduro regime, they will escape the wrath of Maduro (so to speak).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ven...land-1.4973575

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jan 11, 2019 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:05 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,886
The Saudi woman who made headlines around the world after fleeing to Thailand for fear of her life has been granted asylum in Canada:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ded-to-canada/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:25 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 16,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The Saudi woman who made headlines around the world after fleeing to Thailand for fear of her life has been granted asylum in Canada:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ded-to-canada/
I have no problem with this. She has been vocal in her criticisms of the Saudi regime and has renounced Islam. I'm sure if she were ever to return to SA that she would be killed. She needs asylum.

She should be advised however to keep well away from the Saudi embassy in Canada though (#Khashhoggi)
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:26 PM
wave46 wave46 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Looks like Venezuela is getting ready to break off diplomatic relations with Canada, among others. Since Canada does not recognize the new Maduro government as legitimate, I've been wondering whether we won't be obliged to shut down their embassy in Ottawa.

Ironically, since the USA is not part of the "Lima Group" of countries that has been pressuring the Maduro regime, they will escape the wrath of Maduro (so to speak).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ven...land-1.4973575
I wonder how long until Venezuela undergoes a revolution. I can't see them completely going like Zimbabwe. You can only push people so far until someone puts Maduro up against the wall.

Venezuela is one of the biggest economic basket-cases of this century.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:30 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have no problem with this. She has been vocal in her criticisms of the Saudi regime and has renounced Islam. I'm sure if she were ever to return to SA that she would be killed. She needs asylum.

She should be advised however to keep well away from the Saudi embassy in Canada though (#Khashhoggi)
And a nice chance for Trudeau and Freeland to tweak Bin Salman's nose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:30 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Highway Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denglertown
Posts: 1,914
duplicate post
__________________
Q: ON-11 or ON-17, which one should we twin (assuming there's political will)?

A: Hook up a trailer to the back of the pickup truck and get from one Bay to the other Bay. Then you can understand which is more of a better highway to upgrade.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jan 11, 2019 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:24 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,886
How coincidental.

A senior Huawei Canada executive who served as the public face of the Chinese firm in this country since 2011 is parting ways with the Shenzen company as it faces growing problems around the world.

Scott Bradley, a well-connected corporate lobbyist who endeavoured to portray Huawei as a beneficial contributor to Canada’s economic development, quietly left the company earlier this week.

Mr. Bradley would not discuss the reasons for his departure when contacted by The Globe and Mail on Friday but Huawei released a statement saying he had played a crucial role in building the Chinese telecom’s brand in Canada and outreach to governments...


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...e-leaves-firm/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:36 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 15,121
More interesting, I thought, was the arrest in Poland yesterday of a Huawei executive on spying charges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:09 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The Saudi woman who made headlines around the world after fleeing to Thailand for fear of her life has been granted asylum in Canada:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ded-to-canada/
Fantastic.

These are the Muslims we should be taking in: those ideologically opposed to the pathological, Islamist regimes of their homeland. I hope more men and women follow her lead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:51 PM
jawagord's Avatar
jawagord jawagord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 887
Seems like another publicity stunt for the Liberal party. I didn’t know Freeland was also the “Welcome Wagon” minister that will meet and greet you at the airport. Price of immigration to Canada I suppose, pose for a photo with the foreign affairs minister.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ves-in-toronto
__________________
The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound. That's why Darwin will always be right and Malthus will always be wrong - K.R.Sridhar

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 10:02 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Seems like another publicity stunt for the Liberal party. I didn’t know Freeland was also the “Welcome Wagon” minister that will meet and greet you at the airport. Price of immigration to Canada I suppose, pose for a photo with the foreign affairs minister.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ves-in-toronto
Another "Look at how great we are" moment for this government. I'm overjoyed that we quickly got this girl out of danger. But the grandstanding from this gang is getting tiresome.

But then maybe the current government just could not pass up the opportunity of showing how deplorable the KSA is to the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:26 AM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,272
you know what would save a lot more lives? cancelling the weapons contract
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 1:03 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
you know what would save a lot more lives? cancelling the weapons contract
Do you really believe that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 2:41 AM
Doug Doug is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Another "Look at how great we are" moment for this government. I'm overjoyed that we quickly got this girl out of danger. But the grandstanding from this gang is getting tiresome.

But then maybe the current government just could not pass up the opportunity of showing how deplorable the KSA is to the world.
So the route to expedited refugee status involves social media celebrity, physical attractiveness and visiting a Liberal Party stylist before posing for contrived pictures?

Last edited by Doug; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:00 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Another "Look at how great we are" moment for this government. I'm overjoyed that we quickly got this girl out of danger. But the grandstanding from this gang is getting tiresome.

But then maybe the current government just could not pass up the opportunity of showing how deplorable the KSA is to the world.
Coming from a cynic (me), that might be a tad far. I don't care who's doing it or what their motives are, the denouncement of and detachment from Saudi should be very high on our foreign policy to-do list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:37 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
So the route to expedited refugee status involves social media celebrity, physical attractiveness and visiting a Liberal Party stylist before posing for contrived pictures?
No it involves an imminent threat of death. However it’s unsurprising you would be critical.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:10 AM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Coming from a cynic (me), that might be a tad far. I don't care who's doing it or what their motives are, the denouncement of and detachment from Saudi should be very high on our foreign policy to-do list.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't be even more critical of the KSA. I'm just rather critical of our government making everything a "look at us!" moment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:16 AM
Doug Doug is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No it involves an imminent threat of death. However it’s unsurprising you would be critical.
So where are the poses with non-Tweeting, average looking refugees facing imminent death?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:05 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I'm not saying that we shouldn't be even more critical of the KSA. I'm just rather critical of our government making everything a "look at us!" moment.
Point taken.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:20 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.