HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:19 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This makes perfect sense and it makes sense that Canadians will care about a lot of US issues since the US has a lot of impact here.

However, the stuff that gets most of the airtime is not really focused on issues and policies, it's about personalities and imaginary Manichean struggles invented by partisans. That is all infotainment. You could watch that stuff for 16 hours a day and have no clearer an idea of what is going on in the world.

Trump vs. Bush is funny because people will swear up and down that Trump is a catastrophe on a level that's never been seen before. He's definitely a poor president but the Bush years were really had. 9/11 happened, then the US invaded multiple countries, then the financial crisis happened. So far Trump's effect is relatively benign in comparison. The Mexican border wall stuff that is considered such a huge issue right now is insignificant. The NAFTA talks didn't amount to much.
Oh, in terms of human lives W Bush was far more disastrous and harmful than Trump (unless he really catches up big time, which I hope he won't). W started a huge war under dubious rationale that killed thousands of American soldiers, maimed many more and killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.

By some definitions, W Bush could be called a war criminal.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
This makes perfect sense and it makes sense that Canadians will care about a lot of US issues since the US has a lot of impact here.

However, the stuff that gets most of the airtime is not really focused on issues and policies, it's about personalities and imaginary Manichean struggles invented by partisans. That is all infotainment. You could watch that stuff for 16 hours a day and have no clearer an idea of what is going on in the world.

Trump vs. Bush is funny because people will swear up and down that Trump is a catastrophe on a level that's never been seen before. He's definitely a poor president but the Bush years were really had. 9/11 happened, then the US invaded multiple countries, then the financial crisis happened. So far Trump's effect is relatively benign in comparison. The Mexican border wall issue for example is relatively unimportant and even less relevant to Canada.
Trump comes off so badly because he's so un-Presidential. Twitter gives an unfiltered view inside the Oval Office from his perspective. I'm not sure if it is a series of deliberate choices (which makes him kind of clever in a way) or just angry old man has smartphone. I guess we'll never know, really.

Bush was a poor President, period. He stuck to his guns, but his stubbornness tended to make things worse. He took the US from its 1990s high moment to a mess a decade later, both domestically and internationally. A lot of the rot in the US happened under his watch.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Trump vs. Bush is funny because people will swear up and down that Trump is a catastrophe on a level that's never been seen before. He's definitely a poor president but the Bush years were really bad. 9/11 happened, then the US invaded multiple countries, then the financial crisis happened. So far Trump's era is relatively benign in comparison. The Mexican border wall issue for example is relatively unimportant and even less relevant to Canada.
Not to defend "W" (since a lot of what he did was indefensible) but:

1) - 911 was not his fault
2) - the Afghan invasion was perfectly understandable and justifiable (Iraq on the other hand was unnecessary and an unmitigated disaster).
3) - the financial crisis was due to poor financial oversight and corporate greed, but W's fingerprints were not on this. If I recall correctly, he cooperated with Obama in beginning the management of this crisis.
4) - The 2nd Bush White House was not in constant chaos like the Trump White House, and Bush's cabinet was generally quite competent.

Trump remains a complete disaster. A solo presidency with government by decree, and completely adrift. The fact that a major catastrophe has not yet happened is only because of good fortune. Trump will unquestionably be remembered as the worst president in US history by a large margin. There were several presidents who were worse than "W" (although W remains well down in the last quartile).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 7:47 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not to defend "W" (since a lot of what he did was indefensible) but:

1) - 911 was not his fault
2) - the Afghan invasion was perfectly understandable and justifiable (Iraq on the other hand was unnecessary and an unmitigated disaster).
3) - the financial crisis was due to poor financial oversight and corporate greed, but W's fingerprints were not on this. If I recall correctly, he cooperated with Obama in beginning the management of this crisis.
4) - The 2nd Bush White House was not in constant chaos like the Trump White House, and Bush's cabinet was generally quite competent.

Trump remains a complete disaster. A solo presidency with government by decree, and completely adrift. The fact that a major catastrophe has not yet happened is only because of good fortune. Trump will unquestionably be remembered as the worst president in US history by a large margin. There were several presidents who were worse than "W" (although W remains well down in the last quartile).
Bush was dealt a tough hand but it did seem to me that after 9/11, the US spent the next decade+ basically flailing at enemies on the other side of the world... which may not have been the worst thing given the circumstances, but for the fact that it cost trillions of dollars, thousands of lives and still hasn't fixed the underlying problems in places like Afghanistan.

I agree, however, that Bush's White House staff and cabinet seemed far more disciplined and competent than Trump's three ring circus. One shudders to think of what could happen if Trump were suddenly faced with a 9/11-type catastrophe.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's hard to know exactly how responsible presidents are for what happens during their terms. George W. Bush did have some influence over pre-crisis financial regulation and Iraq and Afghanistan are clearly the fault of his administration.

The Iraq war is arguably worse than a thousand cabinet blunders, Mexican border walls, or NAFTA melodramas (and avoiding it is something I give the Liberal government of the era a large number of points for).

I disagree that they had to invade Afghanistan. 9/11 could have been prevented by locking cockpit doors, and the US is only a target for Middle Eastern terrorists because of its involvement there.

I'm trying to get more at the idea that the US is somehow in its darkest days because the Trump administration is the worst ever. Maybe something terrible will happen in the future but for now that is hyperbole.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is not really a new phenomenon, though... for as far back as I can remember (i.e., the 80s), the US has always captured the attention of Canadians. US politics in particular has always received prominent coverage here. Not so much the C-SPAN type policy wonk minutiae, but the broader social issues framed up in American politics and current events have always received major play here.

And whether you're sick of Trump or not, you have to admit he's newsworthy... we're far from the only country to take a close interest in what's happening down there.
We also don't like to admit that much of our culture, trends, and even our progressive ideas and social movements originate from the US; unlike Australia, we have a symbiotic relationship. We may like to think that we are one step ahead, but we are always looking over our shoulder. Canadian media has always reflected what they are saying and doing, just with a little Canadian news blended in. In the 60s, Canadian airwaves and media were full of the Vietnam war, the political assassinations, the black power movement and women's lib, the space program, and it has just continued that way to this day.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:47 AM

Netflix planning a production hub in Toronto?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/net...says-1.4971883

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A funny illustration of the difference in historical significance between Newfoundland's coastal communities and the new ones that sprung up along the former railway/current TCH.

What magnificent manor house did this mill manager own?

An elegant ,1950s bungalow...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 12:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fffuuuccckkk.

Quote:
A group of about 10 protesters took to Water Street in St. John’s Saturday to rally against immigration, a carbon tax, and in favour of oil pipelines across the country.

While the group was small, passersby honked horns in support of the protesters, who brandished signs reading “Stand up Against Globalism,” “Canadians First,” and “Truth is the New Hate Speech,” among others.

The “Yellow Vest” movement, named for the vests worn by the protesters, take primary issue with the recent signing of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration, of which Canada was one of 164 countries to adopt Dec. 10. Similar protests have happened across the country, and organizer Kenneth Winsor says he’s in regular contact with other Yellow Vest groups across the country.

The protesters claim the compact, put forward by the United Nations, will see up to 400,000 immigrants enter the country. That has them concerned.

“Where are 400,000 people suddenly going to find places to live?” Winsor asked.

The current immigration policy in Newfoundland and Labrador could see 1,700 new citizens coming into the province annually by 2022.

“We don’t have any problem with migration, but look at the Canadians first,” said Mike Carter, another protester on Saturday.

The notion that immigrants use social services more than the existing population is a myth, the provincial government says. It states that immigrants use fewer social services than those already living here.

While the Yellow Jacket group maintains its members are not racist and welcome all people who share their concerns, their concerns line up with white nationalists in this country. Former Toronto mayoral candidate Faith Goldy, who was fired from right-wing media organization Rebel Media for appearing on a white nationalist podcast in the United States, is also against the UN compact on immigration.

The UN compact is not legally binding on any of the signatory countries, despite claims from federal Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer that the compact would violate “Canadian sovereignty.”

On the provincial level, Progressive Conservative Party Leader Ches Crosbie, in a year-end interview in late December, stated he has no interest in supporting Scheer’s stance on immigration.

“It’s just not our issue, I think,” said Crosbie.

“We’re not that bothered by illegal border crossings, in fact we need more immigrants.”

The group members intend to continue their protests in front of the War Memorial on Water Street every Saturday for the foreseeable future.
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-johns-275446/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 12:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ottawa: a piece of native Russia in decaying Canada.

Basically, he hated the snow clearing, finds it odd there's no winter decor, and compares it to a provincial Russian city. Interesting to see what urbanists from other countries think.

https://varlamov.ru/3260033.html

Just use Google translate on Chrome.

I can't imagine how much he would hate St. John's. He finds Ottawa backwards in part because plows push snow into people's driveways and the City expects them to clean it up themselves lol.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 14, 2019 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

I can't imagine how much he would hate St. John's. He finds Ottawa backwards in part because plows push snow into people's driveways and the City expects them to clean it up themselves lol.
Whereas in Russia they just don't plow at all?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:41 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Whereas in Russia they just don't plow at all?
That's my impression too.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:00 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Ottawa: a piece of native Russia in decaying Canada.

Basically, he hated the snow clearing, finds it odd there's no winter decor, and compares it to a provincial Russian city. Interesting to see what urbanists from other countries think.

https://varlamov.ru/3260033.html

Just use Google translate on Chrome.

I really hated that in St. John's. In Regina they have the extra length extenders tat they put down for people's driveways. It doesn't stop all of the plow infill into the driveways but it does quite a bit. St. John's was terrible. Heavy, slushy, icy, backbreaking work after the plows came by.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:52 PM
Suburbs Suck

Is it Montreal that plows snow into the centre then trucks it out to the river to get it out of the way? That solves the driveway problem.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:14 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Somebody posted a picture of a dump truck just dumping a load of gritty, dirty snow right off a bridge in Montreal into the St. Lawrence below. I think it was in the Montreal in the 90s thread (which is amazing and well worth a look btw) in the Montreal subforum.

I mean, I'm sure plenty of snow was dumped on the riverbanks here in Winnipeg but there was just something jarring about that picture.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:01 PM

'Afghan Justin Trudeau' finds fame on TV talent show

One is the leader of a G7 nation and the other is a wedding singer, but their striking likeness could sway a TV talent contest in Afghanistan.

Abdul Salam Maftoon from north-east Afghanistan has won fame for his resemblance to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

The 29-year-old is competing on the popular singing contest Afghan Star.

A judge on the series pointed out the similarity, and Mr Maftoon is now among the final eight contestants.

"I didn't know anything about Justin Trudeau until I saw the photos on social media," the wedding singer from Badakhshan province told AFP news agency.

"The resemblance has boosted my chances of winning the competition by 50%."

Afghans have posted numerous comparison pictures online.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...ource=facebook

twitter

twitter

ndtv

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:14 AM

Whoever wrote this article should be ashamed. Totally dishonest.

Small group also rally against carbon tax and in favour of oil pipelines across the country

A group of about 10 protesters took to Water Street in St. John’s Saturday to rally against immigration, a carbon tax, and in favour of oil pipelines across the country.

While the group was small, passersby honked horns in support of the protesters, who brandished signs reading “Stand up Against Globalism,” “Canadians First,” and “Truth is the New Hate Speech,” among others.

The “Yellow Vest” movement, named for the vests worn by the protesters, take primary issue with the recent signing of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration, of which Canada was one of 164 countries to adopt Dec. 10. Similar protests have happened across the country, and organizer Kenneth Winsor says he’s in regular contact with other Yellow Vest groups across the country.

The protesters claim the compact, put forward by the United Nations, will see up to 400,000 immigrants enter the country. That has them concerned.

“Where are 400,000 people suddenly going to find places to live?” Winsor asked.

The current immigration policy in Newfoundland and Labrador could see 1,700 new citizens coming into the province annually by 2022. The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Immigration Agreement, signed in 2016, offers 1,050 nominations for the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program, although it notes the amount of nominations may be higher, depending on demand.

"We don’t have any problem with migration, but look at the Canadians first"

— Mike Carter

The protesters say they have no issue with legal immigrants — which the UN compact is supports — but rather their concern is with illegal immigration into Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador.

<*A shocking belief - how dare they?? Racist bigots the lot of 'em!>

But one protester had more to say about who she believes should be entering the country.

“Why are we not bringing in more Christian refugees that are being persecuted in Muslim countries?” asked Heather, who did not want to give her last name.

“The Christians and non-believers —they don’t have to be Christians — there’s a genocide. We have to be mindful of that.”

<*Islamophobe! White people and their humanitarian beliefs are the worst! Wait...>

The federal government has no quota system for immigrants from any specific nation or religion, unless specific humanitarian crisis calls for specific attention. Since 2015, more than 58,000 Syrian refugees were resettled into Canada in response to the Syrian refugee crisis.

“We don’t have any problem with migration, but look at the Canadians first,” said Mike Carter, another protester on Saturday.

The notion that immigrants use social services more than the existing population is a myth, the provincial government says. It states that immigrants use fewer social services than those already living here.

<*Is this a quote? Doesn't seem to be. This hack 'journalist' seems to have inserted this lie into the article to make it seem that was part of their agenda. It's unconscionably dishonest for a journalist to do such a thing.>

While the Yellow Jacket group maintains its members are not racist and welcome all people who share their concerns, their concerns line up with white nationalists in this country. Former Toronto mayoral candidate Faith Goldy, who was fired from right-wing media organization Rebel Media for appearing on a white nationalist podcast in the United States, is also against the UN compact on immigration.

<*What?????>

The UN compact is not legally binding on any of the signatory countries, despite claims from federal Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer that the compact would violate “Canadian sovereignty.”

On the provincial level, Progressive Conservative Party Leader Ches Crosbie, in a year-end interview in late December, stated he has no interest in supporting Scheer’s stance on immigration.

“It’s just not our issue, I think,” said Crosbie.

“We’re not that bothered by illegal border crossings, in fact we need more immigrants.”

<*What an a$$hole. Are you 12? How about all the immigrants applying legally and getting denied? How about them?>

The group members intend to continue their protests in front of the War Memorial on Water Street every Saturday for the foreseeable future.

Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:35 AM
triggerer

The article is totally fucked up. Anyone who has interacted with a Yellow Jacket/Vest person on Facebook knows they're racist, because they support and promote ideas that are racist.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 12:33 PM
Pro Trivia Player

The Yellow Vest movements that have popped up around the world in the wake of the French protests are basically a ragtag catch-all of people who may be pissed off about anything under the sun.

In this day and age it stands to reason that some of them in some places are going to be xenophobic.

Last edited by Acajack; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:38 AM
triggerer

How has the pot legalization been going everywhere else? Because I live in Ontario and let me tell you, it hasn't been going at all!

The province where the premier is afraid of Halloween has pot shops on every second corner, meanwhile Ontario's premier, the former hash dealer, bungled a pot lottery in such an epic way that Northern Ontario's *two* legal dealers, for 750,000 people over just as many square kilometres, is a mysterious corporation that no one can prove exists, and a Croatian guy living in Milton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Yellow Vest movements that have popped up around the world in the wake of the French protests are basically a ragtag catch-all of people who may be pissed off about anything under the sun.

In this day and age it stands to reason that some of them in some places are going to be xenophobic.
Xenophobia is often the one issue they all agree on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada