HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post

Could someone find and post the startup plans (maps) for Dallas and Houston's light rail...?
Remove the Trinity Rail and the Red and Blue lines above Mockingbird and you'll have something close to the starter system.

This is what is under construction right now:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^ I am so jealous.

My train network in July will not be too bad though (Johannesburg, South Africa):

http://www.metrorail.co.za/Regional-...utes_wits.html

Last edited by sakyle04; Apr 30, 2007 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:52 PM

Dart is great, except they are missing a crosstown east west line. I work near the Galleria and there isn't a light rail station close at all.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddat View Post
Dart is great, except they are missing a crosstown east west line. I work near the Galleria and there isn't a light rail station close at all.
Well when it's not rush hour, the LBJ/Central line is just 5 minutes away by car from the Galleria. But I would love to somehow see a line go up the tollway and one go east-west along LBJ from Garland to DFW airport.

Oh and in case you didn't know, there are preliminary plans for a commuter route(i believe) running along the old Cotton Belt corridor freight tracks from Plano to the airport. It's just part of the 2030 transportation plan though, so it might not be coming for a real long time.

Last edited by NDtexan; May 1, 2007 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddat View Post
An east-west line is being planned from downtown Plano to downtown Fort Worth via Addison, downtown Carrollton and DFW airport. DART has already purchased the ROW all the way into Wylie. Another line will go from Addison to the Galleria and onto one of the Red line stations. These segments will become the focus after the current LRT construction is finished.

More info here: http://www.nctcog.org/trans/mtp/curr...amend_rail.pdf

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:03 AM
Bears of antiquity

I write letters to city council reps and the newspapers all the time about light rail, I hope they pay off to some extent, even if I didn't do a bit of good to urge it on.

Anyway, after weeks of doodling and poring over maps, this is MY proposal:
Line 1, 2012 start date, Deco Line (BRT): From the westside multimodal station up to fred road, to the med center. Stage 1 expansion to UTSA, stage 2 to La Cantera/Fiesta Texas. Stage 3 upgrade to LRT.

Fiesta Line (LRT): From downtown, up broadway, with concessions for the battle of flowers and flambeau parades (hence the name), including a turn around just north of the staging area, and an express bypass with temporary stations. Stage 1 expansion to the Quarry, Stage 2 down to Kelly USA.

Spurs Line (LRT): Crosstown train that runs downtown on commerce and market. Terminates at the SBC Center and SWRI. Stage 1 expansion to Sea World.

Skyline (LRT/Shuttle): Airport line from downtown with central station and shuttles at airport. Stage 1 expansion to Brooks AFB.

VIA Rapid (BRT): Loop 410 and Loop 1604 BRT lines.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- as a grass roots campaign, we can definitely get ideas and plans made. As a group, I'm sure we know enough about design and implementation to come up with a good 15 year starter plan.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:18 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^ alexjon rocks.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:43 AM
Bears of antiquity

The Deco Line, which is meant to model the proposed BRT line, includes medians with expandable light poles that can be capped with catenary supports when converted to LRT. These poles mimic the art deco style to expand the neighborhood scheme from the oak farms dairy to the med center. I augmented the idea for within the med center to include a more subdued design, due to the necessity of being able to replace poles easily should there be an accident. Replacing concrete cast light poles would certainly be a hassle, and would tie up traffic in the med center which is what we don't want.

You know, we should get some input from M1EK on this one... Austin screwed up, but maybe SA stands a chance, here!

Last edited by alexjon; May 2, 2007 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:04 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Alex, do you live in SA? If so, why not try to run for a position that could make something like that happen.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
Bears of antiquity

I'm in Portland, OR for the time being getting my education and work experience up to snuff. It's part of the reason I'm seeing the light rail issue with a bit more clarity, since both sides of the issue are visible on a day to day basis here.

However, growing up in SA for over 20 years, it's certainly home, and definitely the place I'm going to settle back into.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:26 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

What about a subway line? Could that work?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 9:41 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Regarding a subway system - South Texas limestone makes that almost impossible - it would just be too expensive.

Besides, the capital that would be required to build such a system could never be justified by potential ridership in SA. Even with a great LRT system in 30 years, the vast majority of people will still drive - just like in Dallas.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:35 AM
Bears of antiquity

To prove itself, the starter lines would have to go to the places people absolutely positively have a hard time getting to at points, like the SBC center.

One notion I had was a double-length express train that made limited stops from the westside multimodal to the SBC center and utilized an "all-stop" crossing system to block out as many intersections as necessary when crossing. Game day only, of course, but it would certainly be worth its weight in gold now that the spurs have come into their own with a winning line-up

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 3:04 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^ alexjon - when you return from portland, can we at the forum sponsor your run for city council?

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 1:26 AM
Bears of antiquity

Sure! I'll run on a platform of "San Antonio is the only city that could possibly starve with lunch money in its hand in the middle of a bargain cafeteria."

Seriously, there are millions of dollars that SA is ignoring and it's aggravating me.

Also, "the vast majority" of people won't drive when all the private right of ways are turned into toll lanes and we learn what exactly "critical mass" on a road entails.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio