HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 6:18 PM
Closed account

^^ Olympia & 100 Main both put Christmas lights on their roofs. 100 Main makes a Christmas Tree (which is usually ruined after the 1st windy day), and Olympia just wraps it around the top.

I think Stelco Tower, BDC Tower, 1 James South would look great, and CIBC would look AMAZING illuminated especially in the context of a blinging Gore Park which always looks fantastic during Christmas time.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 6:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

All the buildings facing Gore Park would look good with LED lights.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:09 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Are any illuminated by spot-lights?

Pigott building would look great illuminated.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Are any illuminated by spot-lights?

Pigott building would look great illuminated.
With a giant ape hanging on to the top.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 8:04 PM
Closed account

"nothing to illuminate"?? How about Pigott?? floodlights on the wedding cake portion up top....would be wicked.

Stelco tower in blue or purple LED. CIBC bathed in red or yellow. BDC in blue. Royal Connaught, Chateau Royale and City Hall would also make great candidates to light up.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 8:19 PM

I meant the really tall buildings - the ones you see from a distance. Piggott counts as tall I guess, but if you're looking at a skyline it's always obscured by uglier yet taller buildings. I think I read on here that it was floodlit some time ago.

Some of our buildings are lit up nicely - I'm thinking St. James Church and the TH&B.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 9:11 PM
Closed account

I wonder how they could light up Landmark Place?? Maybe just the top 5 floors?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 9:40 PM

I like the pot-light idea.. those can really make older buildings look great at night.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 5:19 AM
On Guard For Thee

Montreal has a lighting program in the Old City and Old Port that has worked wonders lighting up the interesting facets/cornices, etc. Detroit implemented a program a couple of years back to flood-light a lot of the downtown skyscrapers--looks great - and generally most of it shuts off by midnight.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 1:14 PM
Closed account

I love the powerful spotlight that rotates through the sky on weekends in downtown Hamilton these days. I think it comes from King William St.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 1:36 PM
Closed account

^^ Yep, from 77

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 4:10 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Some of our buildings are lit up nicely - I'm thinking St. James Church and the TH&B.
When I was visiting in April, as I walked towards my hotel, in the distance, I could see the Cathedral and that was lit up at night and looked impressive.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 11:12 PM

The cathedral is great, too bad its on an island surrounded by a sea of angry traffic all the time though.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 3:23 AM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 3:49 AM
Closed account

yea, that cathedral is beautiful. I go for walks in behind it regularly...too bad we butchered the entire landscape in front/beside it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 5:54 AM

That area should be made a future plan of some sort..

That structure could.. no would make it another stop on the map, if the were park space created for views.. Quite charming, and what a cathedral Hamilton does have..

Regardless of what following we have, it's nice to see what faith can build.. History at that time with their choice of location, Even the options it had to face due to price as it was during the Depression.. Relocating the Cathedral here, and abondoning (structure there and still standing) but rebuilt due to fire at St. Mary's, just north downtown.. wihich is beautiful as well..

Inside the Cathedral seems cold with the stone and rough but fitting fill. However the contrast of light and colour, is beautiful..
Contains priceliss art, but the windows alone are stunning and the real deal from Europe.. At the base below the rose window facing front - in the organ loft, are the pictures done in stain glass the prominant heads of town at the time.. Mayor, Bishop John McNally , and others. I may be mistaken, but various cultures from around the world are represented as well..

from the cathedrals web site...
"We will have the finest church in Canada", said Bishop John McNally when he announced the construction of a new Cathedral for the Diocese of Hamilton in 1931.

The Cathedral of Christ the King dominates the western entrance to the City of Hamilton. From its excellent location on King Street West, along side Highway 403, the Cathedral serves as a beacon attracting parishioners, pilgrims and visitors from across Canada and the world.

In 1933, this exquisite Gothic structure was dedicated to Christ, the King of Kings, and the first Cathedral so dedicated in the world. Measuring 235 feet in length and 72 feet in width, the exterior of the Cathedral is stately, solid and serene. It is built of limestone, quarried in Indiana and Georgetown, Ontario.

In the tower is a carillon of 23 bells. The largest bell, the Bourdon, was donated to the Cathedral by the Prime Minister of Canada. The Stations of the Cross were sculptured from a single block of Cararra marble; the kind used by Michelangelo for the Pieta. There are 82 stained glass windows made in Munich.

St Mike's in Toronto give tours, as others in the area.. I think this one may as well during certain times of the year..

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img212/cath2wp2.jpg/1/][IMG]

**pics from the cathedral of christ the kings site**

but I digress...

I've thought for years Hamilton should make it's core buildings do something with some decorative lighting on the top.. Had even wrote a letter before I had moved to Toronto.. but the restaurant ideas are long over due, and I too feel so much should be done with these waiting spaces... especially with a view.. The London Tap seems happy with the way things went..

Hamilton really is on a gold mine..

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 6:00 AM

an added note to something that changed in there!!

The Cathedral has up graded the monitors to flat screens on the large pillars.. funny!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 3:04 AM

Here's what it looks like inside

and outside

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 3:39 AM
On Guard For Thee

The interior shot from Century 21 really shows potential - though it sounds like the space is awkward to reach and is small -- too bad, the view looks incredible.

In reference to the Catherdral, its also notable that the Cathedral was extensively damaged by fire in 1981--in the major restoration which followed much of the woodwork which had fueled the fire was replaced with stone in marble surfaces (including the altar where the fire was believed to have originated) - one of the reasons for the general stone (non-flammable) nature of the interior.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:32 PM
Hammer'd

They let you on the roof? Damn. I always wanted up there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion