HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:34 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The Viking's stadium is chugging along. Photo from the webcam.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:20 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Twin 17-story residential towers + a mini mall with 100 shops is being planned for the Superior Plating site in the East Bank commercial district in Minneapolis. The site is outlined in the photo below. StarTribune story here.

Photo by KSTP News. This shows the 1st phase on the south block. A 2nd tower is planned for the north block.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 10:18 PM

Good spot for some density.... Now if we can get some tall stuff Downtown!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:39 AM

Why build it so far away from the downtown area!!! Having lived around Loring Park, in the early 70's, I always dreamt of that area getting built up with a forest of high rises one day! Aren't there a lot of old buildings around there, even ones lining the park, that could be torn down with taller structures? Or, have all those buildings been placed on the Historical Register?

Yes, I know there's a new high rise apartment building being built there, but not lining the park, but why is it taking so long to get that area built up? Too many Nimby's?

I used to have an apartment @200 Oak Grove which was very, very old, up on a rise, which gave me an awesome view of downtown from my end unit on the 3rd floor.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:39 PM

Ummm, or it could be that those buildings you talk about tearing down are some of the most beautiful old residential buildings left in the city dating back to the 1800s? They should not be torn down and replaced. No way. There are a few poorly constructed 1960s buildings that could be replaced.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:28 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The proposed 602 Residences in the North Loop seems to be moving along smoothly. Image from the Staff Report to the City of Minneapolis. The design looks to have been tweaked a little from the earlier renderings.

It also looks to be pretty expensive. Units are quite generous in size.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:18 AM

^^ Another Stunner.... LOL! OK for that area I guess! ^^

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 9:16 PM

I really like it. So much infill tries way too hard. This is very handsome.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 10:21 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Spectacular photo of the monster going up...

Frosty Friday Morning by view2share, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 12:49 AM
Architecture/Engineering

A proposal to the city has been made for a new 900-foot mixed-use tower in Minneapolis. Offices + 220 apartments + 250-room hotel. Developer Alex Duval is working with architecture firms Perkins and Will, Adolfson and Peterson and Cuningham Group. This is one of 4 competing proposals for the block just north of Cesar Pelli's Hennepin County Central Library.

The base of the tower will have an arcade with operable glass panels that will open during warm weather.

Last edited by Avian001; Dec 13, 2014 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 6:25 AM

Kind of looks like something we'd see in Melbourne, Australia! With a little refinement... it'll look great in Minneapolis!!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:04 PM

I can't believe how much criticism this proposal is getting. I think this would be a GREAT addition! I think it is sleek and elegant, the height is a bonus.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordeast Homer View Post
I can't believe how much criticism this proposal is getting. I think this would be a GREAT addition! I think it is sleek and elegant, the height is a bonus.
I agree. The beauty is the simplicity of the design and the height is perfect. It's going to be like a beacon er a torch when lit up at night for that end of downtown. It looks from that rendering that it does allow for some type of transit to run through under the middle portion and what I'd like to see is the skyway connecting to the library transition from the what the library has for it's book like glass feature to what ever glass this proposal ultimately takes on and hopefully will. What I'd also like to see is the main tower shift by 45 degrees from the street grid. Does any building downtown do this? I don't believe so. By doing so you'd have 2 sides with downtown views and 2 sides with river views.

Last edited by MN/WI; Dec 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:28 AM

MN/WI: I read some of the posts on the "Strib" article, "80 story tower"..... and couldn't believe what I was reading. I've found that a lot of the posters on these types of news article s are probably suburbanites that just hate the city or any city for that matter! They're probably from Chaska or Shakopee!! LOL!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:36 AM

As for the Strib there are quite a few posters whose names you see regularly and that are completely against Minneapolis. Oddly rarely anything bad about St. Paul though. The one guy who keeps harping about parking. He wants parking lots downtown for tailgating of all things. What a 20th century mindset. He doesn't want to take elevators or escalators either because he should be able to walk directly to his car and not waste any of his valuable time. Geesh. It's not like there isn't crime in their suburbs. It's just that Minneapolis has a higher concentration of people. There's plenty of drugs going on out there in the suburbs and outstate as well.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
As for the Strib there are quite a few posters whose names you see regularly and that are completely against Minneapolis. Oddly rarely anything bad about St. Paul though. The one guy who keeps harping about parking. He wants parking lots downtown for tailgating of all things. What a 20th century mindset. He doesn't want to take elevators or escalators either because he should be able to walk directly to his car and not waste any of his valuable time. Geesh. It's not like there isn't crime in their suburbs. It's just that Minneapolis has a higher concentration of people. There's plenty of drugs going on out there in the suburbs and outstate as well.
I've been a part of my neighborhood watch in NE Minneapolis for a long time and our precinct seargent would routinely show crime statistics for our neighborhood and it typically showed that between 80% and 90% of all crime in NE was committed by people who live in the suburbs, quite a few of them from Brooklyn Park.

I've gotten so I don't read the Strib comments very much anymore. The average response is from the far left or far right and rarely conveys the feelings of the average Joe.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:33 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Mortenson has submitted its proposal for the Nicollet hotel block.
31-story apartment tower with 273 units.
Hotel with 171 rooms
60,000 sf of office space.
15,000 sf plaza.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:23 AM

Mortenson's proposal is OK.... But where are the other 20 floors?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:20 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Trader Joe's will be the grocery tenant of the Thresher Square development at the corner of Washington & Chicago Av. This will join the existing Whole Foods and Lunds to become the three major grocery stores downtown, with Target at 9th & Nicollet filling in as a minor player.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 8:44 AM

^^ Avian: I see the tribune had an article about Kare 11 leasing space in the Duval proposal!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest