HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Has anyone visited Wastemount Mall since the Sears closed? Are there any customers besides senior mall walkers?
I drove by it last week. Looked like a giant abandoned building next to an Asian supermarket.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:00 PM

Just looked through there website. They defiantly have the money for large scale projects. It also says they have the 12 buildings at Cherry Hill mall in there portfolio.

http://kingsettcapital.com/assetclasses/residential

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

put 12 largish apartment/condo buildings atop Westmount mall, and presto, the mall would be viable. Sadly, the city favors greenfield retailing development, which means without intensive residential development, the mall's future as a retailing destination is utterly doomed.

What will the mall walkers do when all the malls are gone? Will seniors roam the perimeter of big box barf stores to get their exercise? Where the hell do teenagers even hang out nowadays?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wastemount Mall's (previous) owners have also been total dicks to tenants:
http://www.lfpress.com/money/2010/03/15/13234521.html
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This ad is everywhere. Get a better (professional) picture than one taken in some mall automated photo booth.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

From the archives: Northland Mall before renos, before previous death:

mallmaverick

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 8:13 PM

The mall at the corner of Oxford and Wonderland is the next to go. I personally thought I would hear news about that one before Westmount mall. With Westmount mall I think you can fit at least 5000 residential units on that property properly done.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 8:37 PM

I remember Westmount's slogan in the late 90s: "Hassle Free Shopping". They had a series of TV commercials that aired on CFPL ad nauseum. One of them included an old guy wandering around another mall in black-and-white, talking to himself: "Where am I?"

I spent a lot of Saturdays there as a kid. I distinctly remember one time we parked in the underground parking, went through the wrong door, and ended getting lost. We had to climb an excruciatingly long staircase, and when we got to the door at the top, it let us out somewhere on the 2nd floor. It was one of those "employees only" doors.

But the kicker for me is that Westmount was the first date that never was. In my early adolescence, nearly 20 years ago, I had always planned to go to that mall for my first date - they had the food court and movie theatre, it seemed like the place to go for a first date once I got a girl to go out with me. By the time I went on a real date for the first time, downtown had improved immensely and Westmount was almost dead, so there was no point in going to Westmount.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 9:43 PM

A lot of you people are far too young to remember why Westmount expanded so much in the first place and frankly it did seem logical.

Westmount was just a tiny collection of stores until 1973 when it added 50 stores and became the largest mall in SWO. It became THE mall in London and business soared after 1977 because that's when the Guy Lombardo Bridge was built. Before that to get from north of the Thames to Westmount required going either all the way thru Byron or going all the way down Wharncliffe. Neither of those options were very appealing. The 402 was also starting to open in segments and was completed by the early 80s and Westmount was the easiest mall to be access from those Middlesex and Lambton regional shoppers.After the GLB was built literally tens of thousands of new potential customers were within a few minute drive and with the 402 regional shoppers were also new customers. Even Eaton's saw the potential as it replaced the old Horizon dept store, that's right Eaton's was not built there initially.

Westmount itself was also one of the fastest growing areas of the city and the demographics were young families which is exactly what Westmount wanted and London's economy was booming in the late 80s and it's population was also.. Masonville didn't open until 1983 and it wasn't near as big as it is now so the huge Westmount expansion in the late 80s made sense. I think a lot of you seem to think Westmount expanded just to follow a craze of mall building in the 80s which certainly didn't help but Westmount's expansion did have some very solid economics to back it up.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 9:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

moving here in early 2005--across the street from the Mall, I could tell that Westmount was once "the place" to shop. There were clues. There were still mostly full storefronts on the second floor; the foodcourt was buzzing, and while some chains were starting the move, the exodus wasn't underway....that started in earnest by the summer. By late fall, the second floor was reeling. By the end of the following Spring, it was clearly the beginning of the end.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
Just looked through there website. They defiantly have the money for large scale projects. It also says they have the 12 buildings at Cherry Hill mall in there portfolio.

http://kingsettcapital.com/assetclasses/residential
Minto also still shows Cherryhill in their portfolio. Maybe KingSett is an investor with Minto.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Wastemount Mall's (previous) owners have also been total dicks to tenants:
http://www.lfpress.com/money/2010/03/15/13234521.html
Bentall also tossed out some local merchants in White Oaks in favour of national chains. CF isn't above this either, they removed a few retailers from Masonville in favour of National retailers about 3 years ago as well. And in a strange twist, removed a national clothing retailer so yet another hair place could go in last year.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Minto also still shows Cherryhill in their portfolio. Maybe KingSett is an investor with Minto.
I think so to. Seems like all these investors groups are all connected in some forum.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Bentall also tossed out some local merchants in White Oaks in favour of national chains. CF isn't above this either, they removed a few retailers from Masonville in favour of National retailers about 3 years ago as well. And in a strange twist, removed a national clothing retailer so yet another hair place could go in last year.
Suburban shoppers want only name brand products from the name brand stores they and their families love. I doubt too many people in their core markets were upset.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

One thing I really like about Covent Garden Market is that there are no chains. All independents. What a great mixture of merchants and restaurants. Something for everyone, and reasonable prices, without the usual 400-series rest-stop garbage food options.

And no Tim Horton's. What a bonus!!

Same thing that I like about Wortley Village. I am utterly sick of the windswept awful parking lot big box barf experience, and I reckon many others are as well.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I remember Westmount's slogan in the late 90s: "Hassle Free Shopping". They had a series of TV commercials that aired on CFPL ad nauseum. One of them included an old guy wandering around another mall in black-and-white, talking to himself: "Where am I?"
I remember those! I have a vague memory being with my parents in Westmount and listening to them take the piss out of that commercial... "Oh look, we're the family that is experiencing hassle free shopping in Westmount!"

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:52 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 1:25 PM
User Registered

Fit For Less moving into Westmount Mall - lower level part of the old Target / Zellers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...mall-1.4898096

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:03 PM

The owners recently said they have basically leased out the entire Target space, with another tenant going downstairs and offices upstairs. Have to give these guys credit. I thought at the very least, the Target was going to be demolished with a condo tower going in. I used to love going to that mall because of the indoor parking, and the fact it went all the way across the mall, so you could park at whatever end you wanted and still access the mall easily.

I wonder if the Fit 4 Less currently just down the road at Loblaws is going to close when this one opens.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:51 PM

It was brought up at the planning meeting last night that Cadillac Fairview is working on plans to add mid-rise residential along with ground level retail on the south side of their property at Masonville. They also would like the transit hub to be integrated somehow into this development.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/masonville...erty-1.4244546

Last edited by GreatTallNorth2; Jan 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation