HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:17 PM
arf

As suburbanite said, this is probably a one season kick at the can and then blow up the roster, although it could also be an interim move for Leonard to ship him somewhere else for a rebuild.

Completely agreed on the doing nothing to attract people to play for the current management.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:30 PM
The New Republic

What would they have to do to get a #1 draft pick (RJ Barrett) in 2019?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:35 PM

The lottery has made tanking too unpredictable. Would have to trade away a ton of assets to whoever gets 1st pick.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 6:14 PM
Has been

Some action from the FIBA 3X3 World maters tour in Saskatoon this weekend. I believe that is Winnipeg (in black) against Princeton, NJ. Winnipeg squeaked out a 1 point victory in this one.

Interesting event and a nice setting. There were teams from 6 countries: Canada (4), Serbia (3), USA (2), Bosnia, Latvia and Mongolia. Games are 10 minutes (or until some hits 21). 12 second shot clock. I thought the play was generally quite sloppy and very physical. Tons of air balls (although the breeze may have been a factor in a few cases). There were also number of impressive inside moves.

In any case it will be an Olympic event in 2020.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 4:13 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
From a purely utilitarian standpoint, I think it's a fantastic trade. A starting 5 of Lowry, Kawhi, OG, Green, and Valanciunas is legit. There is an emotional part of the equation though. Derozan is the first star to actually give his heart and soul to the city and commit to playing his entire career here. To pull this off soon after they allegedly promised not to trade him is really not a good look for the front office. Players are already calling them out on Twitter, and for an organization that has always had trouble attracting free agents, it's a questionable decision.
Masai Ujiri is an utter genius, and this is a master stroke. If healthy (big if, I know), Kawhi Leonard is the fourth best player in the league. Toronto has never had a player anywhere near Leonard's ability in its history.

NBA finals MVP once. Defensive player of the year twice. Just turned twenty-seven years of age. Holy crap.

But what an outpouring by the fans. In a cynical age when NBA players (and managers) are seen as calculating mercenaries, someone forgot to tell DeMar and Raptors Nation not to forge a transcendent emotional bond. It was a pleasure watching DeMar grow year-by-year into the player he is now. As frustrating as the playoff flameouts have been, on the whole we've seen a steady upward trajectory for the team over the course of DeMar's career here.

To the point where now people in Raptors Land are talking about getting that last piece or two in place to make a serious run at a championship. Something no one could say with a straight face until the last year or two. DeMar deserves his due as a major part of this process. It'll be quite an adjustment not having him around. Even more so than when Vince left, because back then there was a lot of bitter acrimony surrounding the circumstances of what can only be termed a fiasco.

DeMar is a class act.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 2:24 PM
The New Republic

As emotionally attached as people are to DeMar, the trade should benefit the Raptors.

In other basketball news Canada is 2-0 at the U17 Women's WC in Belarus. We beat Latvia 65-51 and Angola 66-36. On Tuesday they play Australia; their final game in group play. It's crucial that they win or they'll likely not advance past the Quarter-Finals. A loss to Australia would potentially set up a Quarter-Final match against the USA. Beat Australia and they have a very good shot at making the Semi-Finals.

As much as I try to support the women's game I find these age group women's games very frustrating to watch. They make so many mistakes, turn the ball over an absurd number of times, are terrible at the free throw line, miss most of the time when right under the basket, and rarely jump. That Latvia game they should have scored 30 more points than they did. Canada made just 20/62 of its 2 points and was 3/9 from beyond the arc.

Canada are more talented than Australia imo but think we'll likely lose. Australia make fewer mistakes and more likely to capitalize on their opportunities.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 3:57 PM

That Toronto press conference sure was awkward.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:58 PM

Thompson, Olynyk headline Canada's WC qualifying roster
The Canadian Press TSN.ca September 4 2018

TORONTO — Canadian men's basketball coach Roy Rana will gather a "unique blend" of players, including a half dozen from the NBA, for training camp ahead of Canada's FIBA World Cup qualifying game versus Brazil.

Cleveland's Tristan Thompson, Miami's Kelly Olynyk, Dillon Brooks (Memphis Grizzlies), Cory Joseph (Indiana Pacers), and Khem Birch and Justin Jackson (Orlando Magic) are the six NBA players who will be in camp when it opens Thursday in Montreal.

"Obviously it'll be a unique blend of NBA guys, guys who are just starting their career, some U Sports kids, some guys who are just starting their NBA careers," Rana said. "It’s nice to see our community continue to build and represent."

Canada, which went 5-1 through the first round of qualifying, faces Brazil on Sept. 13 in Laval, Que.

Rana, also the Ryerson Rams' coach, takes over head coaching duties from Jay Triano for the September, November and February qualifying windows. Rana, Triano and Gord Herbert split the job in the first round of qualifying, coaching two games each.

"None of this has ever been a goal of mine, I just want to do whatever we have to do to qualify," Rana said. "If that means I have to step up and help, I'll give it my best shot. I don't know if it’s a personal goal or more a goal of all of us. I've lived with these kids since they were very, very young. We've been dreaming this dream together and for me to get a chance to lead is pretty special."

Canada, the Dominican Republic (4-2) and the U.S. Virgin Islands (2-4) were the top three teams in Group D in the first round, while Brazil (5-1), Venezuela (5-1), and Chile (1-5) were the top three teams in Group B. Those six teams formed Group F with records carrying over.

Canada will travel to Chile on Sept. 17. The next window sees Canada play at Venezuela on Nov. 30 and Brazil on Dec. 3. Canada will host Chile on Feb. 21 and Venezuela on Feb. 24.

"As the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Americas qualifiers continue, the program depth we've been building over the years will be crucial for the success of our team," said Rowan Barrett, the assistant GM of the senior men's program. "September's games are an important step for Canada as we work towards our goal of qualifying for the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019."

From the second round of qualifying, the three highest-placed teams from each group and the best fourth-placed team between Group E and Group F clinch berths in the FIBA Basketball World Cup in China, Aug. 31-Sept. 15, 2019.

A record 32 countries will play in the FIBA World Cup, which is the main qualifying event for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

———

Roster:

Joel Anthony, Montreal, San Lorenzo Basket (Argentina)
Trae Bell-Haynes, Toronto, Fraport Skyliners (Germany)
Aaron Best, Toronto, Raptors 905 (G-League) Ryerson
Khem Birch, Montreal, Orlando Magic
Dillon Brooks, Mississauga, Ont., Memphis Grizzlies
Manny Diressa, Toronto, KK FMP (Serbia) Ryerson
Melvin Ejim, Toronto, BC UNICS (Russia)
Joel Friesen, Abbotsford, B.C., London Lightning (NBL Canada) Alberta
Brady Heslip, Burlington, Ont., Fraport Skyliners (Germany)
Justin Jackson, Toronto, Orlando Magic
Cory Joseph, Toronto, Ont., Indiana Pacers
Kaza Kajami-Keane, Ajax, Ont., Landstede Zwolle (Netherlands) Carleton
Kyle Landry, Calgary, Alta., Buducnost (Montenegro)
Duane Notice, Woodbridge, Ont., BM Slam Stal (Poland)
Kelly Olynyk, Kamloops, B.C., Miami Heat
Kevin Pangos, Newmarket, Ont., FC Barcelona Lassa (Spain)
Dyshawn Pierre, Whitby, Ont., Banco di Srd (Italy)
Tristan Thompson, Brampton, Ont., Cleveland Cavaliers

Last edited by elly63; Sep 5, 2018 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:12 AM
The New Republic

Having the 2nd window of qualifying during the NBA season is a huge disadvantage for Canada. It's a talent leveler. Canada goes without it's best while most of the countries we'll meet are largely unaffected. That said, I'm surprised some of our NBA players are available to play.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:06 PM
The New Republic

Canada out scored France 45-24 in the 2nd half to win 71-60 and secure first place in their group. It also secured Canada a direct spot in the Quarter-Finals. All the Quarter-Final spots are now allocated. Canada has had a hard time getting past the Quarter-Finals and have a very tough opponent. Spain is ranked #2 in the world.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:43 AM
Registered Drug User

Dayum!

Yeah, yeah, only two games into the season, but wow. Kawhi Leonard, still on the rebound from an injury and still finding his legs after missing almost the whole of last season, is already the best player to ever put on a Raptors uniform.

What an absolute pleasure it is watching him play. What is this team going to look like if he gets even better? And that's not even mentioning Danny Green, a starter on that championship team in San Antonio. How the heck did Masai Ujiri pull that trade off?

Did you see that Leonard-Green tandem block against the backboard near the end of the game? Wow.

If Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby continue maturing and improving, and if Delon Wright has a breakout season, this team is, well...the sky's the limit.

After the embarrassing capitulation to Cleveland in the playoffs I was prepared to write this season off and accept that the era of onwards and upwards year-on-year improvement was over, but now I'm more excited than ever.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:13 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

This has definitely been the most promising start to a season I've seen from them.

And I hate to say it, but as much as I liked the DeRozan-Lowry dynamic, having Leonard on board and a more capable roster has only given Lowry more room to do his thing, make plays, and shoot 3s with less harrassment. Going into it I was a bit worried he wouldn't have the same chemistry with the new guys, but that seems to have been unfounded.

Between the Raptors and the Leafs, it's going to be a good season for Toronto sports.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:40 PM
Registered Drug User

I can't stop thinking about that block last night. More than just the exclamation point on a definitive win against the Raptors' chief rivals in the Eastern Conference, I think it is an iconic sequence symbolizing how completely the team has been transformed by the arrival of Leonard and Green. The defense is a lot better this year.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 7:54 PM
Registered Drug User

Is this thing on? We've got what's looking like the best Raptors team in history here.

They've got a 10-1 record. Nine of those wins were blow-outs, and several of them came with Kawhi Leonard on the bench. Pascal Siakam is looking like he's going to turn into a combination of Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman. Moving Serge Ibaka back to center has been a standout move by coach Nurse, as has the tag-team setup with either him or Jonas Valanciunas starting, i.e. not having them both on the floor at the same time.

The defense has been out of this world. Cutting off passing lanes, smothering ball handlers, contesting shots, boxing out on the glass, etc. Half the fun of the Raps is watching how they break down opposing teams' offenses.

Actually, I think the major obstacle for Toronto is going to be extending this early success into the rest of the season. Everything has come so easily so far. I think it will take real mental fortitude to weather the unexpected challenges that will invariably present themselves over the coming months.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:26 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

One could almost be forgiven for believing this is a championship-ready team!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:52 PM
Registered Drug User

Hush! Don't jinx it!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 9:13 PM
arf

They've only played a couple of the actual top-quarter teams in the league yet and they lost one of those games. It's all good so far and they are taking care of the business they need to take care of to be a top seed, but I don't know if they are top-four in the league good or are in the next four teams that probably don't make the conference finals. They certainly look like an Eastern Conference final four team right now, but it's ten games in.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 9:39 PM

Most fun I've had watching a Raptors team. Everything that was frustrating during the last 4 years (despite regular season success) has disappeared.

Huge credit to Nick Nurse for making the call to not start JV, and actually knowing when to properly take a timeout.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 5:50 PM
ハルウララ

CANADIAN ELITE BASKETBALL LEAGUE ANNOUNCES NEW ERA CAP AS OFFICIAL PARTNER FOR JERSEYS, ON-COURT APPAREL, HEADWEAR

The Canadian Elite Basketball League announced Tuesday that international sports and lifestyle brand New Era Cap Co Inc. will be the Official On-Court Partner providing all on-court apparel and product for its six member clubs. The partnership is a five-year agreement running through the 2023 season. The professional basketball league opens its inaugural season in May 2019 in Edmonton, Hamilton, Guelph, Saskatchewan (Saskatoon), Niagara (St. Catharines), and Fraser Valley (Abbotsford).

https://www.cebl.ca/canadian-elite-b...parel-headwear

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 6:46 AM
Registered Drug User

Nice easy win for the Raptors after slumping the last week. Apropos of nothing while idly browsing basketball-reference.com, I suddenly thought I'd count how many players in the NBA are from the GTA.

There are 12. This is amazing to me. My thirteen-year-old self would never have believed such a thing were possible back before Toronto had a team. Okay, Jamaal Murray is actually from Kitchener, but that's within the GTA orbit more or less, so he counts at a pinch. Jamaal Murray, Tristan Thompson and Andrew Wiggins are standout players, too.

By comparison, Chicago has 27 active NBA players (not to mention several all-time legends of the game). New York has 31 (also a bunch of legends). Los Angeles has 40 or more, I lost count.

I think Toronto has arrived as a serious hoops town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada