HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:18 PM
New Yorker for life

I like to compare it to 277, shown with the massing, for scale...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Foster said that it will respect the nearby International towers, so the resemblance to 277 is to be expected. I think that the façade also will be very similar to those towers but glassier.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Foster said that it will respect the nearby International towers, so the resemblance to 277 is to be expected. I think that the façade also will be very similar to those towers but glassier.
He said it would respect the character of the area. GCT and Helmsworth are right down the street...

But, I really wish Robert Stren were at the helm...Internationalism needs to die.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
He said it would respect the character of the area. GCT and Helmsworth are right down the street...

But, I really wish Robert Stren were at the helm...Internationalism needs to die.
I agree re: Stern. By area, he clearly meant Int'l buildings in the area -- not Beaux Artes.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:15 PM

man AT&T looks so TINY down there in the background... good thing we got that protected when we did... chrysler building has become a literal needle in a haystack by now...

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Foster discussed his ideas about what a Park Avenue tower should be, and 425 Park is just a modern version of those earlier glass boxes. The difference is in the modern elements that set these towers apart. Foster will deliver.

https://www.archdaily.com/294594/425...oster-partners

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:41 PM
BANNED

I agree.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:02 AM
Crane Goddess

The interesting thing is I think that 277 was designed to be a respectful neighbor to 270, similar in appearance. So it would be quite something if this new tower was designed to resemble 277 a little.
One cool thing about 277 is that unlike some other buildings, which have changed hands several times, is that it's still owned by the company that built it in 1964. They're proud of their building. As for its base, I think that's because of the setback requirements at the time it was built. They just put the setbacks around the sides and back, giving the building one hell of an impressive tail.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:00 PM

I really hope JPMorgan does something significant here. NYC is killing it with residential architecture. I can't say the same for its commercial architecture in this boom. I like One Vanderbilt and 425 Park. Otherwise, most of what's going up on the commercial side is bland and blah. If not for height, filler in most any city. Of course, these buildings are utilitarian and need to meet the needs of tenants as far as floorplates and otherwise. But One Vandy and 425 Park show that something better is still possible.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 3:39 PM

One thing I love about this project is it is purpose built by the bank for itself. Rather than a developer looking for an anchor tenant. 100% occupancy on day one. Are there other sites in midtown east that have this possibility? Or are the possible big assemblages more in play for developers and the typical need for anchor tenants?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefforbz View Post
One thing I love about this project is it is purpose built by the bank for itself. Rather than a developer looking for an anchor tenant. 100% occupancy on day one. Are there other sites in midtown east that have this possibility? Or are the possible big assemblages more in play for developers and the typical need for anchor tenants?
This site wasn't even considered to be one of the major development sites in Midtown east because of the size of the existing building. It's not certain which of the potential sites will eventually get built out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another such large undertaking down the road. Chase being both the owner/occupant made this one a LOT easier to put in motion.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 11:44 PM
DENNAB

What exactly is the bulkhead of a building by the way? Does that refer to the main roof or top occupied floor?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
What exactly is the bulkhead of a building by the way? Does that refer to the main roof or top occupied floor?
It counts as the highest "roof" on a building, and would be the total height minus any parapet height that is usually greater.

I'll use 45 Broad for example, in this graphic you see the "roof" height of 1,115 ft, the bulkhead height of 1,127 ft, but there is a parapet/crown not shown that will extend to about 1,200 ft.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:51 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It counts as the highest "roof" on a building, and would be the total height minus any parapet height that is usually greater.

Cool thanks

I take it they'll likely build to the full 1,400, since that's the chosen design and not just the limit, correct? And with a parapet it's safe to expect this thing will be about ~1,450+ feet?

I'll reiterate this is crazy exciting.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Cool thanks

I take it they'll likely build to the full 1,400, since that's the chosen design and not just the limit, correct? And with a parapet it's safe to expect this thing will be about ~1,450+ feet?

I'll reiterate this is crazy exciting.

Yeah, there is no height limit, that's why they can build the taller version if they wanted to.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Upcoming CB5 meeting...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:28 PM

This building is missing from the NYC diagram.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
This building is missing from the NYC diagram.
There's no render, just preliminary massing models.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
There's no render, just preliminary massing models.
Plenty of buildings such as 80 South Street and Liberty Rising are there and they don't have formal renders either.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Upcoming CB5 meeting...

Isn’t this supposed to be a 2.4 million sq ft building? What’s with the 1.8? And could this massing study we’ve seen been referring to a 1.8 m sq ft version? I’m getting confused.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction