HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:36 PM

Denver was built on a swamp that, until drained supported a habitat for both anaconda snakes and Nile crocodiles.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Do either of you know what "per capita" means?
i do, but i still find that unlikely. There are hundreds of sushi restaurants just in the san fernando valley. Hundreds.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:01 PM
them bones

Santa Barbara was home to the first Motel 6 and was also the first Egg McMuffin.

It was also home to the first movie studio in California in 1910.

The 'Scarface' house is located in Montecito.

In 1925 a substantial portion of the city was destroyed by an earthquake.

The city was home to the first city architectural design review board.

In the 1920s, the city actually paid commercial building owners subsidies and offered design services through the City Drafting Room to convert their facades from Victorian to a newly created 'Santa Barbara Style', a mixture of Moorish, Gothic, Mediterranean, and Andalusian architecture. The resultant city is quite unique, with only a single Victorian facade left on State Street.

Earth Day was borne out of the 200,000gal. Santa Barbara oil spill of 1969. The spill was also a springboard and rallying cry toward the modern environmental movement (including the EPA, Clean Water Act, Coastal Commission, CEQA) in the US.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:26 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Boise has the largest geothermal heating system in the U.S., and 6th largest in the world. Many buildings downtown, including the Idaho Statehouse, and buildings throughout the Boise State campus are heated with geothermal energy.

Boise is pronounced "boy-see," not "boy-zee."

Boise's official name is Boise City. The only other Boise City in the U.S. is in Oklahoma--but it is pronounced "Boys City."

Boise is considered the birthplace of United Airlines. One of the oldest commercial airlines, Varney Airlines, was founded in Boise, and later became United.

Boise has exactly the same number of people per capita than every other city.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Santa Barbara was home to the first Motel 6 and was also the first Egg McMuffin.

It was also home to the first movie studio in California in 1910.

The 'Scarface' house is located in Montecito.

In 1925 a substantial portion of the city was destroyed by an earthquake.

The city was home to the first city architectural design review board.

In the 1920s, the city actually paid commercial building owners subsidies and offered design services through the City Drafting Room to convert their facades from Victorian to a newly created 'Santa Barbara Style', a mixture of Moorish, Gothic, Mediterranean, and Andalusian architecture. The resultant city is quite unique, with only a single Victorian facade left on State Street.

Earth Day was borne out of the 200,000gal. Santa Barbara oil spill of 1969. The spill was also a springboard and rallying cry toward the modern environmental movement (including the EPA, Clean Water Act, Coastal Commission, CEQA) in the US.
Ha thats an interesting and varied list! Egg mcmuffin to Scarface

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

The polio vaccine was created in Pittsburgh in 1950.
I thought the polio vaccine was created by Albert Sabin in Cincinnati. The convention center there is named after him and everything.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:54 AM
E pluribus unum

Sabin created an oral version of the vaccine.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i do, but i still find that unlikely. There are hundreds of sushi restaurants just in the san fernando valley. Hundreds.
I deleted the post and apologize for being snarky (I had meant to delete that post last night).

Sushi restaurants per capita - it's a silly thing to argue over and difficult to back up. Suffice it to say that TLV has a surprising number of sushi restaurants.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Denver was built on a swamp that, until drained supported a habitat for both anaconda snakes and Nile crocodiles.
How many millennia back was that??

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I deleted the post and apologize for being snarky (I had meant to delete that post last night).

Sushi restaurants per capita - it's a silly thing to argue over and difficult to back up. Suffice it to say that TLV has a surprising number of sushi restaurants.
Its all good, i dont take anything posted on this website too seriously. Im sure Tel Aviv has a lot of sushi restaurants, i know that was the point

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:37 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
The 405 in LA must be close behind this!
The best data I could find states that the busiest spot on I-405 recorded 313,000 AADT south or west of Pacoima, Terra Bella St. in 2005. In 2016 it was slightly lower at 307,000 AADT. If this is accurate I-405 would be one of the world's busiest but quite far behind the 401 in Toronto which is over 500,000 AADT.

http://www.laalmanac.com/transport/tr26b.php

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Its all good, i dont take anything posted on this website too seriously. Im sure Tel Aviv has a lot of sushi restaurants, i know that was the point
From what I've read, something like 20% of the sushi restaurants in Tel Aviv are kosher, so that would eliminate uni, unagi, crab, octopus...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:19 AM
The New Republic

1st long-distance telephone call: from his family homestead in Brantford, Alexander Graham Bell phoned his assistant in Paris, Ontario; 16 km away.

https://canadianstampnews.com/alexan...one-call-1876/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The best data I could find states that the busiest spot on I-405 recorded 313,000 AADT south or west of Pacoima, Terra Bella St. in 2005. In 2016 it was slightly lower at 307,000 AADT. If this is accurate I-405 would be one of the world's busiest but quite far behind the 401 in Toronto which is over 500,000 AADT.

http://www.laalmanac.com/transport/tr26b.php
Ontario Ministry of Transportation says AADT from HWY 400 to Weston Road on the 401 reaches 416 500 AADT, this is the busiest point.

http://www.raqsa.mto.gov.on.ca/techp...OpenForm&Seq=1

Highway 401 is the busiest in North America, and likely the entire Western Hemisphere, I doubt it's the busiest in the world however. (It is the busiest of any jurisdiction that measures AADT)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:37 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333609543 View Post

Highway 401 is the busiest in North America, and likely the entire Western Hemisphere, I doubt it's the busiest in the world however.
The most interesting part for me is that the immediate reaction of 3 (and counting) SSP members has been doubt. Is it really that surprising that it would be in southern Ontario?

It's the largest of 3 east-west highways in the GTA, in one of the most car intensive/auto centric regions on earth, and acts as the main artery funneling goods back and forth between central Canada and the US midwest ($160 billion between Detroit and Windsor in 2014). Big Asian and European metros have far lower car ownership and much higher rail share numbers. I'd be more surprised if the busiest wasn't the 401.

On the SSC world highway threads there's agreement that the 401 is the busiest. I suspect that of all people, highway geeks would know. If you have data contradicting this I'm sure they'd like to know.... as would I. As of yet, no one has posted data refuting it.

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
On the SSC world highway threads there's agreement that the 401 is the busiest. I suspect that of all people, highway geeks would know. If you have data contradicting this I'm sure they'd like to know.... as would I. As of yet, no one has posted data refuting it.
The whole point is that the data doesn't exist to directly compare. The 401 may very well be the busiest, but to claim it is outright when there are mega regions of 30 million+ people that don't track traffic in an apples-to-apples manner is the cause of doubt.

Toss an addendum on the original statement that says the 401 is the busiest highway in North America measured by volume at a specific point and it holds up far better.

Last edited by suburbanite; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:08 PM
All man. Half nuts.

you're all wrong.

the busiest road on the planet is whichever one I'm on when I'm late for an appointment.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Boise has the largest geothermal heating system in the U.S., and 6th largest in the world. Many buildings downtown, including the Idaho Statehouse, and buildings throughout the Boise State campus are heated with geothermal energy.

Boise's official name is Boise City. The only other Boise City in the U.S. is in Oklahoma--but it is pronounced "Boys City."

Boise is considered the birthplace of United Airlines. One of the oldest commercial airlines, Varney Airlines, was founded in Boise, and later became United.

Boise has exactly the same number of people per capita than every other city.
i did not know any of that about boyzee

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 8:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

And not "bwah-zay", of course.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
you're all wrong.

the busiest road on the planet is whichever one I'm on when I'm late for an appointment.
Ain't that the truth!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions