HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:39 AM
National Capital Region

Apparently the logistics for the Shania Twain concert at Wesley Clover Park were a disaster
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...arks-1.3131114

Dragon Boat Festival on the other hand was great...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Apparently the logistics for the Shania Twain concert at Wesley Clover Park were a disaster

The problem was if you weren't on one of the first 20 shuttle buses then you just stood there and waited for those 20 to go to either CTC or the Nortel campus and circle back (which took longer than you would think). The traffic madness with people (taxis, uber, friends, etc) trying to pick up on Corkstown Road didn't help. The worst part was that there was no OC Transpo 400 buses. If you wanted to take public transit you had to walk over the highway to the Moodie stop and take a 93/96. And there were NO extra 93/96s. They should have coordinated with OC on this to set up some OC buses.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

And Escapade was great too. Professional organisation, safe, fun, no lineups for anything with bars and free water everywhere, plus the free OC Transpo shuttles were flowing well.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Garnet Rogers, Dave Gunning to serenade Grassroots Festival

By Alex Robinson
Ottawa East News, Oct 28 2015

Nova Scotia singer Dave Gunning and Garnet Rogers, the younger brother of folk legend Stan Rogers, are set to join forces for the Ottawa Grassroots Festival in April.

The festival announced the two will play together as the headline act for the Saturday night show – April 23, 2016, – of the four-day event.

“That’s going to be a treat that night,” said festival producer Bob Nesbitt.

“They’re both great on their own and putting them together will be really quite something.”

The two musicians usually perform separately, but agreed to play together for the festival seeing as Rogers is already performing a solo show in Ottawa on March 11, said Nesbitt.

“It’s often not the norm for them but if it’s something that works magically, they may perform together in the future,” Nesbitt said.

Rogers started playing music with his older brother at the age of six and hit the road with him shortly after high school, playing across North America. He would go on to release 16 studio albums over his career.

Gunning – who lists Stan Rogers among his influences – was nominated for a Juno Award in 2012 for his brand of Maritime folk music. He recently released his 11th solo album, Lift.

The festival also announced Ottawa singer-songwriter Kristine St. Pierre will open for Rogers and Gunning.

The Grassroots Festival recently indicated it will be moving to the Southminster United Church in Old Ottawa South this year after outgrowing the Montgomery branch of the Royal Legion on Kent Street.

The festival, which is volunteer run, was first held in 2012 and has since attracted folk, bluegrass and roots musicians from across Canada. Originally just a one-day event, the festival has added an extra day of concerts and activities every year since then.

The Grassroots Festival is set to take place from April 21-24, but Nesbitt said he is considering adding a fifth day this year if he has enough volunteers to make it feasible.

“It’s not too much work to add another day but it depends on the volunteers,” Nesbitt said. “We don’t want to tire them out.”

Nesbitt said more headliners will be announced in November.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...oots-festival/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:03 PM

Just announced:

Mumford & Sons
Date: June 12th, 2016
Opening Act: Raury

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 4:41 PM
Awesome!

Have not even made a list for over a year - signs of really busy times for me. i will include the on-going Brooks concerts even though today it`s the last two shows of his at CTC

April 9 - The Dandy Warhols (late 90's-early 00's rock group) - Ritual Nightclub
April 23 - Garnett Rodgers - South Minster United Church
April 23 - Hedley, Carly Rae Jepsen & Francesco Yates - Canadian Tire Centre
May 6 - James Taylor - Canadian Tire Centre
May 8 - Pearl Jam - Canadian Tire Centre
May 9 - George Thorogood - National Arts Centre
May 13 - Justin Bieber (the worst of the bunch) - Canadian Tire Centre
May 21 - Joe Nichols & Gord Bamford - TD Place Arena
May 25 - DNCE & Selena Gomez - Canadian Tire Centre
May 27 - Carrie Underwood - Canadian Tire Centre
June 12 - Mumford & Sons - Canadian Tire Centre
June 15-19 - Ottawa Explosion (haven't heard of that one) - Various
June 22 - July 3 - Ottawa Jazz Festival - Various
June 24 - Ria Mae - Dragon Boat Festival
June 25 - July 1 - Escapade Music Festival - Various
June 30 - July 3 - Cirque du Soleil - Turuk - Canadian Tire Centre
July 7-17 - Bluesfest - Lebreton Flats
July 7 - Billy Idol, Schoolboy Q & Peter Bjorn - Bluesfest
July 8 - Noel Gallagher (formely Oasis) & Coeur de Pirate - Bluesfest
July 9 - The Lumineers & The Cult - Bluesfest
July 10 - Belly - Bluesfest
July 13 - Brad Paisley & Alyssa Cara - Bluesfest
July 15 - Red Hot Chilli Peppers & Zeds Dead - Bluesfest
July 16 - Duran Duran, Nelly & Holy Fuck- Bluesfest
July 17 - City and Colour - Bluesfest
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Cre47; Apr 9, 2016 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:33 PM

You missed the best one: Holy Fuck.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 3:10 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
You missed the best one: Holy Fuck.
Added, I've also read there were other acts added for Bluesfest this week, although a quick glance and the only act of note among those additions is rapper Belly.
http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/lineup...tist$belly/514
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:10 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

A couple of upcoming gigs at Italian Festival:

1) Louis Prima Jr. and the Witnesses

http://www.italianweekottawa.ca/documents/LPJ%20EPK.pdf

2) DJ Tatiana Alvarez

http://www.italianweekottawa.ca/docu...%20Tatiana.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Westfest unveils 2017 lineup: MonkeyJunk headlines three-day free event

Vito Pilieci, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 1, 2017 | Last Updated: February 1, 2017 9:00 AM EST

Westfest has pulled back the curtain on its expected lineup for 2017 and revealed Juno award winning Ottawa-based blues trio MonkeyJunk as its headline act.

The event, which will take place between June 2-4, also announced Lemon Cash and Deejay NDN (known for his time with A Tribe Called Red), in the lineup.

This year’s three-day festival will feature 148 acts, including popular local bands Lucas Haneman and Jesse Greene Band, among the Saturday entertainment, and Voices of Praise Gospel Choir Sunday morning.

This is the second year that Westfest will take over Laroche Park in Mechanicsville.

It previously held its annual festival on Wellington Street, shutting down much of Westboro in the process.

Westfest annually kicks off the music-festival season in the nation’s capital, acting as a bit of a primer to bigger events like BluesFest which are scheduled for later in the summer.

However, unlike its larger contemporaries, Westfest is free to attend.

A full list of who will be playing at the event is available on the Westfest website at www.westfest.ca.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...day-free-event

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:39 AM
National Capital Region

Bluesfest 2017
https://twitter.com/ottawabluesfest/...04301672108034

was hoping for a bigger lineup for the 150th

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:58 AM
National Capital Region

March 11 - The Franklin Electric -Salle Jean-Desprez, Gatineau
March 17 - Matthew Good - NAC
March 17 - Metric, The Sheepdogs, and Bobby Bazini
April 5 - Said the Whale - Bronson Centre
May 4 - Florida Georgia Line - CTC
May 25 - The 1975 - CTC
May 28 - The Weeknd - CTC
June 2-4 - Westfest
June 15-17 - Franco Ontarien Festival
June 22 - Tim McGraw, Faith Hill - CTC
June 22-25 - Amnesia Rockfest - Montebello
June 22-25 - Dragon Boat Festival - Mooney's Bay
June 22 - July 2 - Ottawa Jazz Festival
June 24-25 - Escapade
June 23 - RHCP - CTC
July 6-16 - Bluesfest
July 12 - Rufus Wainwright - NAC
July 22-August 3 - Ottawa Chamberfest
August 21 - Guns N'Roses
September 21-24 - CityFolk
October 10 - Roger Waters

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Bluesfest lineup includes 'iconic' Tom Petty, P!nk, Muse and more

Aedan Helmer, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 21, 2017 | Last Updated: February 21, 2017 12:01 AM EST

RBC Ottawa Bluesfest is crossing a few big names off its all-time wish list, announcing first-time festival appearances by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – who last played the capital in 1981 – along with P!nk, Muse, Toby Keith, LCD Soundsystem, 50 Cent and Gary Clark Jr. in a wildly diverse lineup.

For festival executive director Mark Monahan – who says he sets out each year to create a festival experience that includes something for everyone – signing Petty on the iconic heartland rocker’s 40th anniversary tour was a top priority.

“He’s one of the guys we’ve had at the top of our list for a long time,” Monahan said in an interview from his headquarters at Festival House. “He’s someone who we’ve been pursuing for many years. Often with these artists, there are so many factors that go into it with scheduling and logistics, but obviously when we heard Tom Petty was going out for some spring and summer dates, we were one of the first at the door.

“I went to L.A. in the fall to meet with his agent, because I thought it was important we express how serious we were about booking the date. That was a big priority for this year.”

The festival will return to its usual 10-day run – after last year’s nine-day edition – from July 6 to 16 at LeBreton Flats. With Canada’s 150th celebrations expected to be at a fever pitch by early July, Bluesfest will introduce weekend passes, covering each Thursday-Sunday in an effort to attract tourists on a weekend-long stay.

Monahan said he boosted this year’s talent budget to ensure “some big names that will attract some out-of-town folks to the festival.”

The festival’s full budget is approaching $20 million, said Monahan, up from last year’s budget of $15 million, with about half of that devoted to talent.

“We staked out our claim,” he said. “This is one of the largest events in the North American scene, and in terms of lineups I think this ranks fairly highly — it’s always a challenge to maintain your status in that.

“We’re always cultivating a new audience, and we’ve been going out to focus groups at Carleton University, high schools, and then we’ve been going to things like the Blues Summit in Toronto, where there’s a core audience of blues fans who are certainly not (in the youth demographic). We’re trying to listen to all these groups and get it as best we can. It’s not always perfect, but I want to get something that’s going to excite the crowd, whether that’s a high school student or a 70-year-old blues fan.”

Along with the main stage headliners, most of whom are making their first-ever Ottawa tour stop, Bluesfest is offering up some favourites of festivals past, and a full complement of Canadiana with the likes of Tegan and Sara, Sam Roberts Band, July Talk and Death From Above 1979 – who return to the festival after being forced to cancel last year’s much-anticipated reunion tour – along with 50 local acts selected from more than 450 submissions.

Monahan said the festival started to take shape once those “iconic names” were booked in the headlining slots.

“Once you start to get the lineup filled in, then you look at what you don’t have. I mean, Tom Petty hasn’t played here since 1981, P!nk has never been here and Muse has not played Ottawa (since a club date in 2004). … We have some strong country acts with Toby Keith, Jake Owen, Justin Moore, High Valley; on the hip-hop side we have 50 Cent, who has never played the festival (and last played Ottawa in 2004), Migos, one of the hottest current acts going, Fetty Wap; we have electro DJ music from Flume and RL Grime…

“And for blues fans this is a great blues lineup, with Gary Clark Jr., the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Sugaray Rayford, Slam Allen, Thornetta Davis – it’s a phenomenal lineup just as a blues lineup, and when you compare it to (established all-blues festivals) like the Poconos or the North Atlantic Blues Festival, I think our lineup is just as strong, solely on the blues side.”

Monahan said the Bluesfest team is “always listening to constructive criticism,” and he’s well-aware of the handful of gripes that seem to surface with each year’s lineup announcement.

“You can never please everyone entirely. Everyone wants to see their headliner at the top, but that’s not always realistic. Last year (despite some early complaints over the lineup) was one of our most successful years in terms of attendance. We covered off the bases pretty good. The Red Hot Chili Peppers show was one of the best turnouts we’ve ever had.

“The festival has evolved into a huge celebration of music in the summer for the city of Ottawa,” said Monahan. “The feedback we get from our avid music fans to our casual music fans – they make their plans around this. It puts a lot of pressure on us to offer a broad spectrum of acts without trying to do the same thing over and over again. I think we hit that this year.”

Festival passports are available in a one-day presale Thursday at 10 a.m., with all tickets going on sale Friday at 10 a.m. Ticket information and festival details at ottawabluesfest.ca.

ahelmer@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/helmera

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...-muse-and-more

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:11 PM

Meh.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:43 AM

Bluesfest now equals BOREfest

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:00 AM

The only band I want to see is Live. Shitty year.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:48 PM

A few years ago, I got the full pass, because there was literally at least one band per day that would interest me. Recently, I scaled down to the pick-3 or pick-5 passes, as there were at least 3-5 days worth going. This year? I don't think I will be able to find 3 days, unless I really force myself.

For me, the bands I wanna see are all bands I have already seen:

The Shins
July Talk
Live

Although, same day as The Shins, is LCD Soundsystem - which is pretty cool and I have yet to see them, so the best day for me will be that day.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Montebello Rockfest announces 2017 lineup

Naomi Librach, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 22, 2017 | Last Updated: February 22, 2017 4:31 PM EST

Montebello Rockfest has released its 2017 lineup, advertising reunion performances, new sets and headliners such as Rammstein, Queens of the Stone Age and Iggy Pop.

The 12th annual festival will feature about 130 rock, metal, punk, hardcore and hip-hop acts. According to Rockfest founder Alex Martel, most of the acts have never performed at the event.

“We want diversity at Rockfest, so I always try to have a good mix of the different sub-genres and we really, really listen to the festivalgoers,” Martel said.

German headliner Rammstein’s new show will make its North American première. California’s Queens of the Stone Age are performing for the first time in three years, and Iggy Pop’s show will be among his final before he retires.

The event boasts several exclusive reunion performances, including one from Martel’s band, Deadly Apples. The band, which opened the first Rockfest in 2005 and performed in subsequent years, is returning to the stage for a one-time performance after a seven-year hiatus.

“Now that Rockfest is established and I have a little bit more time, it just felt like the right time for us,” Martel said. “Rammstein, which we all love, is playing this year, so being able to play right before them, everything was kind of aligned to make it happen this time.”

Some other bands, such as the Offspring, Bad Religion, Goldfinger and Face to Face, are returning to Rockfest, said Martel.

Dee Snider from Twisted Sister will also be returning to Rockfest, despite a profanity-filled rant posted on the band’s website complaining about conditions at Rockfest 2016.

“We never had any issues with the band itself,” Martel said. “Bringing back Dee was a way for him and us to show the festivalgoers and everyone that it’s all good. There’s no bad blood … the festivalgoers were definitely surprised by it.”

Forty local acts include Mononc’ Serge & Anonymus, Grimskunk, Exterio, Pépé et sa guitare, M U D I E, Blind Witness, and Blessed By A Broken Heart.

Other performers include Canadian band Alexisonfire, Megadeth, The Offspring, Wu-Tang Clan, Bullet For My Valentine, AFI, Bad Religion, Pennywise and Good Charlotte.
According to Martel, new features will be added to the church grounds this year, including coloured lights and a tattoo convention to appeal to rockers.

This year will also see the addition of a VIP camping package, which will include intimate performances by Rockfest 2017 bands. Martel said the special performers have not been announced yet.

The festival will run from June 22 to 25 in Montebello, Que. Tickets are on sale at montebellorockfest.com and wristbands will be available at Empire stores across Quebec.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...y-pop-and-more

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:12 AM

I'm in the same boat for Bluesfest ... A few years ago I had the festival pass, and now I don't even think I'll go this year!

With Bluesfest being a day shorter last year, and the lineups getting worse, I wonder what its future holds.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:47 PM

Meanwhile, booked for Montreal and Toronto but not Ottawa, as usual:

Pixies
Sep 27 Metropolis Montreal, QC, CA
Sep 29 Massey Hall Toronto, ON, CA
Sep 30 Massey Hall Toronto, ON, CA

Franz Ferdinand
06-02 Toronto, Ontario - Danforth Music Hall
06-03 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis

Starting to think that Boozefest has sucked all the oxygen out of concert promotion in Ottawa - not that we have any halfway decent standalone venue in any case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation