HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roosevelt University Dormitory in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 8:45 PM
dream fast

3-13

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 9:01 PM

I'm actually quite a fan of these kinds of projects. The newly restored facades of these small, older buildings is really all that matters to me as far as street presence goes. It is respectful to the site of the original building, since it doesn't remove it altogether, yet the walls behind can be utilized for today's modern uses. This one turned out great IMO.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 4:24 PM
dream fast

Goodman Center

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:17 PM

## EDIT: I'm copying this post to the GEN DEV thread b/c it is pretty off topic here##. Let's comment on the Goodman Center there.

^^^
I'm excited for new construction (as always) but I can't help feeling that congress should be a major thoroughfare with skyscrapers on either side, not a delineation between skyscrapers and a Dearborn Park wasteland. In Burnham's plan, this was supposed to be the central street of Chicago land. Imagone how beautiful it would be for tourists to come in via the Kennedy, pass under the Post office, then the BOT building, then be on this long and wide boulevard, surrounded by skyscrapers that dead ends with Michigan, then Buckingham fountain and then the lake. Rant over...

Also, the Goodman Field House building reminds me of a poorly done knock off of Wang Shu's Ningbo Historic Museum.

THe Goodman center via Roosevelt's website:

Wang Shu's Ningbo Historic Museum via Arch Daily:

Maybe its all in my head...

## EDIT: I'm copying this post to the GEN DEV thread b/c it is pretty off topic here##. Let's comment on the Goodman Center there.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Last edited by ChiPhi; May 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:35 PM

gorgeous building.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I'm actually quite a fan of these kinds of projects. The newly restored facades of these small, older buildings is really all that matters to me as far as street presence goes. It is respectful to the site of the original building, since it doesn't remove it altogether, yet the walls behind can be utilized for today's modern uses. This one turned out great IMO.
The floors don't remotely line up. All you can see through the windows of the Fine Arts Annex are the soffited edges of floorplates. (This must be a pain in the butt for fire separation...)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:03 AM

What's happening over here?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
dream fast

8-1
Goodman Center

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:59 PM

with 300+ beds and lecture halls, classrooms, labs... how are the building's elevators set up? it must be horrible.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago29 View Post
with 300+ beds and lecture halls, classrooms, labs... how are the building's elevators set up? it must be horrible.
There are separate elevators for the dormitory that begin on floor 14. Going to class from one's dorm room, you would take the elevator down from your floor to floor 14, exit the secure area (for residents only), get in another elevator that then takes you to your class on floors 1-13.

I do not know how they work security at night though. I suspect that there is a 24 hour guard in the first floor lobby. Students enter the main classroom elevators but can only get off at floor 14 where there is another 24 hour gaurd stationed to monitor the dormitory lobby.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

The kids who will be living in those dorms are lucky as hell. My dorm looked out onto a cow pasture.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew|W View Post
There are separate elevators for the dormitory that begin on floor 14. Going to class from one's dorm room, you would take the elevator down from your floor to floor 14, exit the secure area (for residents only), get in another elevator that then takes you to your class on floors 1-13.

I do not know how they work security at night though. I suspect that there is a 24 hour guard in the first floor lobby. Students enter the main classroom elevators but can only get off at floor 14 where there is another 24 hour gaurd stationed to monitor the dormitory lobby.
Probably like any other dorm. Person at a desk + keycard entry. My first year in the dorms they still had conventional key locks (keycard for the doors were introduced the following years. There would be times I'd just be hanging out with friends in the dorm room and some shady individual would open the door and step in. They'd act all surprised and pretend they got the wrong room. Yeah sure.....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Probably like any other dorm. Person at a desk + keycard entry. My first year in the dorms they still had conventional key locks (keycard for the doors were introduced the following years. There would be times I'd just be hanging out with friends in the dorm room and some shady individual would open the door and step in. They'd act all surprised and pretend they got the wrong room. Yeah sure.....
I understand the key card scheme; I had that too (but the delayed close for the ADA power operator meant that people could always slide in behind other residents). I was just thinking that the stacked scheme with sky lobby means that the building has to have two security points at night: one on floor 1, one on floor 14

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:37 PM
dream fast

7-10

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 8:45 PM

MMMM... Golden brown, cooked just right!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 8:52 PM
TL;DR

This building has been completed for months. Somebody wanna move it out of Highrise Construction?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 9:15 PM

Wasn't that north wall black?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 9:25 PM

Still is black, unless they tinted it yesterday. Must be a lighting trick from the direct sunlight.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive