HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Here's what the Ottawa-Gatineau high density/skyscraper zone SHOULD be for a city our size...

NIMBY's and BANANA's would hate me.
Good luck with high rises in that area west of Parkdale and south of Scott that is not on Wellington

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:10 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Good luck with high rises in that area west of Parkdale and south of Scott that is not on Wellington
Like I said, it's what it SHOULD be; not what WILL be.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Yes, we should have a solid wall of high rises on the south side of the Byward Market so that all patios will be permanently shaded. Sounds like a good idea.
There are already three high-rises south of the market, on either side of Rideau Street, without any obvious sign of PERMANENT SHADE!!!!!!!

How would building more, further east and further south, cause the dreaded PERMANENT SHADE!!!!!!!!!?

And what's the matter with shade?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:15 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Yes, we should have a solid wall of high rises on the south side of the Byward Market so that all patios will be permanently shaded. Sounds like a good idea.
Oh, please.

The same was said of 90 George which unlike the orange areas, actually sits at the edge of the market, but I don't hear a lot of complaining. Also, I said high density and/or skyscrapers. In some areas it could be 4-8 storeys, 20-40 in another. The orange areas are also primarily focused on existing areas of high density or have some high-rises/skyscrapers in the vicinity.

It's hardly unreasonable.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:00 PM

There's only one patio on the north side of Rideau, anyway - The Highlander - and technically it's on that pedestrian side street, not Rideau. Shade doesn't factor into the experience at all.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
There's only one patio on the north side of Rideau, anyway - The Highlander - and technically it's on that pedestrian side street, not Rideau. Shade doesn't factor into the experience at all.
But what about the PERMANENT SHADE???!?!?

Much worse than regular shade!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:20 PM

Well, ever since the earth stopped revolving on its axis, life has been tough for everyone.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:32 PM

Is Ken Grey's relatives living in Orleans?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/a9ans+h...353/story.html

I can't believe these types of people/complaints get on the front page of the Citizen. Read it to believe it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:33 PM

That is to say, "ARE Ken Grey's relatives living in Orleans."

Now I know why one of their new developments is called Eastboro - it emulates the entitled 'don't go near me' attitude of most Westboro residents.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
That is to say, "ARE Ken Grey's relatives living in Orleans."

Now I know why one of their new developments is called Eastboro - it emulates the entitled 'don't go near me' attitude of most Westboro residents.
Doucheboro is more like it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Is Ken Grey's relatives living in Orleans?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/a9ans+h...353/story.html

I can't believe these types of people/complaints get on the front page of the Citizen. Read it to believe it.
Quote:
The buses are big and loud and fast, she said,
Did another resident add that the sky is big and bright and blue? And that their perspective is small and narrow and dumb?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 7:57 PM

Funny, when a building is too high, it's 'think of the children's safety'!

When it's the children's safety, it's 'think of my deathly quiet house!'

The fact these people think they're going to get sympathy for this is proof of the rampant entitlement illness that has spread through Ottawa.
Funny - their parents were the Greatest Generation.......must be proud of what the kids have done with their lives.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 8:48 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
it emulates the entitled 'don't go near me' attitude of most Westboro residents.
Wow, way to slag an entire neighbourhood with a completely unfounded prejudiced statement. Just because you see snotty pretentious people on Richmond Road does not mean they live here. Granted there are NIMBYs, but given that this is probably one of the city's most rapidly transformed communities in the last decade (with a lot more change in the pipeline), it is not surprising to hear some voices of dissent.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 9:04 PM

C'mon guys, be nice. These poor people have to endure nine school buses each day. NINE! (That's like 45 000 for people who aren't at home all day wondering what to complain about on www.getyourcurmudgeonon.ca, the Citizen's online forum). But, it's only temporary. As is everything in life.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 9:59 PM

Quote from the article:

Quote:
Farincourt was marketed by Tamarack Homes as an “adult lifestyle” street. For that reason, many of the people who live there feel should not have to put up with school buses driving on their street.
I don't know which is sadder - the fact that Tamarack marketed a public road as an "adult lifestyle" street, or that fact that these people bought it. I'd love to see their faces when the first big, raucous family moves in.

I hope the school board doesn't give in to them. Imagine five-year olds having to walk an extra block through the snow in January just to spare these gits the sight of (gasp!) school buses...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 10:01 PM

I'm sure they're breathing a sigh of relief there's no transit service on that street - it helps them imagine they're living in a gated community far away from the plebs...rather than a public road in a suburban subdivision.

My late-60s mother calls these endless Citizen front-page complaining-over-minutae articles "the obligatory bleeding-heart Citizen article" if that gives you an idea how often we see this thing.

Today she told me she doesn't know where these people come from or how they think they're so special.

What were the exact words? Oh yeah - "They give all old people a bad name"

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
I don't know which is sadder - the fact that Tamarack marketed a public road as an "adult lifestyle" street, or that fact that these people bought it. I'd love to see their faces when the first big, raucous family moves in.
I see "adult lifestyle", and for some reason I picture Quagmire from Family Guy, in a ball-gag and a sling.

Giggity-giggity, ulraaaaaght.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Funny, when a building is too high, it's 'think of the children's safety'!

When it's the children's safety, it's 'think of my deathly quiet house!'

The fact these people think they're going to get sympathy for this is proof of the rampant entitlement illness that has spread through Ottawa.
Funny - their parents were the Greatest Generation.......must be proud of what the kids have done with their lives.
The scary thing is this entitlement by some seems to be getting worse.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 1:13 AM

I'm thinking these nice folks take the top spot for douchebags of the year, which is a hard contest to win in Ottawa. You can barely even call them NIMBYs, because they're trying to ban traffic (and kids) on their public street.

And am I right that Stephen Blais falls into that category, too? As a councillor, all I've seen him do lately is try to ban smoking in parks because it bothers him then stand fully behind a group of old cranks who want little kids to walk on the side of the road so they aren't bothered by the noise of a schoolbus...on a public road! Seems like a whiny pushover.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 1:57 AM

Quote:
My late-60s mother calls these endless Citizen front-page complaining-over-minutae articles "the obligatory bleeding-heart Citizen article" if that gives you an idea how often we see this thing.
The Citizen could issue a coffee table book of asinine neighbourhood disputes. The last one that sticks in my mind concerned a woman in Manor Park whose kids were keeping their basketball net permanently on the street. When bylaw came a-calling, she was faced with three choices:

a. tell her kids to roll the net up the driveway when they weren't using it
b. move the base three feet backwards onto her lawn and weight it down
c. gather a thirty-person posse and go door to door to find out who grassed her.

Ottawa being Ottawa, you can guess which option she chose. She eventually uprooted the culprit - an old woman who was afraid of tripping over it at night (the fiend!) Last we heard from the posse woman, she was sending around a petition to change the bylaw, presumably to one that allows the storage of sports equipment on public roads.

So... no to buses on public roads, but yes to equipment storage. There ought to be an annual award competition for these people: Self Entitled Douchebag of the Year. I have to say the Orleans school bus harassers are way out in front, but the year ain't over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues