HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:12 PM

Video with a bit of the model here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CybisxePhDO/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 1:33 AM

Interesting article in BC Business on what goes into creating a building like Citizen by Frances Bula:

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/Land-Value...elopment-in-BC

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Interesting article in BC Business on what goes into creating a building like Citizen by Frances Bula:

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/Land-Value...elopment-in-BC
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I wonder how the sales are doing on this one. The pricing for reference.
https://gyazo.com/a3f70b7f879ca406667c31c0f18d133e

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:30 AM

Very interesting article.

It also gives great insight into why building taller does not always = "more profit" for developers.

It's going to cost them more money to build a 66 storey tower with greater construction costs and having to absorb some of the overhead themselves to keep the units competitive relative to the other developments in the neighbourhood - than it would have cost them to build two 33 storey tower, as was the original plan.

All of which means they'll ultimately make less profit on a 66 storey tower than they would have from two 33 storey towers with the same number of units.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Very interesting article.

It also gives great insight into why building taller does not always = "more profit" for developers.

It's going to cost them more money to build a 66 storey tower with greater construction costs and having to absorb some of the overhead themselves to keep the units competitive relative to the other developments in the neighbourhood - than it would have cost them to build two 33 storey tower, as was the original plan.

All of which means they'll ultimately make less profit on a 66 storey tower than they would have from two 33 storey towers with the same number of units.
Everyone knows that two 30 storey buildings are cheaper and less challenging to build than a 60 storey tower. But it seems like a stretch to blame the fact that it's a 60 storey tower for the economics on this project failing.

The fact you buy a lot and the city mentions the setback for a sidewalk not working with your plans for two towers seems like a bigger issue.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:19 AM

I'm pretty sure I posted this last January but I'll just repost which does speak directly to the whole economics of a 30 vs 50 storey project.

Quote:
More tall towers being proposed, approved and completed in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey and Coquitlam

Developers are seeking approval for two 50-storey towers in the same block where Surrey city council recently gave the greenlight for what will be its tallest building at 67 storeys.

And there are several proposals for more tall towers like this in Surrey that haven’t been made public yet.

Article content
“There are ones of similar heights that are moving forward,” said Chris Dikeakos of Vancouver-based Chris Dikeakos Architects Inc. “And it’s not just in Surrey. Burnaby is another municipality. Coquitlam is starting to get applications for some much taller towers.”

Article content
He added that with increased land and construction costs, developers are motivated to use all the density they can get and build taller towers. However, there is also a point where it stops making sense to push higher “because things like the cost of structural systems increase as you go higher.”

Across Metro Vancouver, there are more than 20 towers over 45 storeys that have been approved by municipal governments, according to data from Zonda Urban market analyst Justin Lee. More than half of these are in Burnaby. Five are in Coquitlam and Port Moody, while Downtown Vancouver, New Westminster and Surrey have one each.

Some are under construction, like the first phase of Onni Development’s Gilmore Place in Burnaby with its 64-storey towers. Others are closer to completion like Westbank’s The Butterfly at 57 storeys in the West End.

After these, there are 40 more tall-tower projects that have been publicly presented to city councils and are in some stage of seeking approval. Most are in Burnaby and Surrey, followed by Downtown Vancouver and Coquitlam.

“We’ll see if economic conditions allow for them to be built,” said Dikeakos, whose firm is working on the new tall tower approved in Surrey and other projects.

In late 2019, Pinnacle International Development made a proposal for a site near the Lougheed SkyTrain Station. It had three towers including one that would be 80 storeys and 250 metres tall. They would be the tallest buildings in Western Canada. Some more details were presented to Burnaby city council in May 2022 for towers of 80, 76 and 73 storeys, but the project has not progressed further with the city.

Bosa Properties initially proposed a project with two 70-storey towers on Kingsway near the Metrotown SkyTrain Station, but there haven’t been any further details since it was initially presented to Burnaby council in 2021. In December 2022, Bosa sold the site to Keltic Canada Development for more than $100 million.

Metro King by Anthem Properties is a proposal for a 66-storey tower between Kingsway and Hazel streets across from Metrotown that is nearing a final decision by the City of Burnaby.

This pipeline of potential projects is happening as cities have focused on adding density to sites near transit stations and town centres, according to Dikeakos.

“The taller buildings in these types of developments that you are going to be seeing tend to be real, mixed-use ones, meaning they have a commercial base with significant office or hotel use where the first 15 to 20 storeys are commercial even before you get to the residential portion,” he said.

Article content
His firm in recent years completed Station Square at Metrotown, which has five towers with the tallest being 54 storeys.

“One of the interesting changes that we’re seeing is that because these developments are being done near transit sites, cities are requiring less parking,” said Dikeakos. “If we had to do the same amount of parking required a few years ago, the depth of these excavations would make them completely unfeasible. (When) we’re not required to do as much parking, it allows us to do these taller towers and still make some financial sense.”

Even though developers are motivated to deal with increasing land and construction costs by building higher, there is a turning point. It will obviously be different for each project, but Dikeakos said that for the Station Square project, it was somewhere at the 52- to 55-storey height.

“That was the maximum we wanted to go in that particular case because things like the cost of structural systems increase as you go higher. The number of elevators potentially increases. Window-washing systems become more complex. There are all sorts of things that actually do add to the overall cost of these taller buildings.”
https://vancouversun.com/business/re...rrey-coquitlam

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Everyone knows that two 30 storey buildings are cheaper and less challenging to build than a 60 storey tower. But it seems like a stretch to blame the fact that it's a 60 storey tower for the economics on this project failing.

The fact you buy a lot and the city mentions the setback for a sidewalk not working with your plans for two towers seems like a bigger issue.
That's not what I said.
I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth or imply I said things I didn't.

I (LITERALLY) said the article provides insight as to why sometimes it's more challenging and costly for a developer to build a single taller tower than multiple shorter ones on the same lot for the same density.

There were obviously more issues than just that, which affected the economics of this project leading to the difficulties it's facing (and that are highlighted in that article). But that was just one of the ones they mentioned.

And the project is not "failed" anyway, so this is a moot point.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
That's not what I said.
I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth or imply I said things I didn't.

I (LITERALLY) said the article provides insight as to why sometimes it's more challenging and costly for a developer to build a single taller tower than multiple shorter ones on the same lot for the same density.

There were obviously more issues than just that, which affected the economics of this project leading to the difficulties it's facing (and that are highlighted in that article). But that was just one of the ones they mentioned.

And the project is not "failed" anyway, so this is a moot point.
Agreed the article addresses all the issues higher buildings face (along with the article I reposted). I just thought after reading the article that the fact they couldn't build two towers far outweighed all the cost issues of building a taller building. Sorry if you thought I was trying to stick words in your mouth.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 11:42 AM

I thought it was strange the article didn't mention if the developer considered other massing options,
like a 40 or 50 storey plus a smaller skinny tower or a bulkier tower with a shoulder or stepdowns.
I didn't think the only option would be to stack into one tower.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:49 AM

The lot is not large enough for a lot of options and the masterplan calls for another 50-floor tower to the east and two to the west of Citizen.

The site itself has been completely dead since they cleared it several months ago. I also often walk by the sales office and have yet to see any customers in it. Not sure what's the status of this project is right now.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 9:49 PM

Word is this one has sold decently well and should be progressing forward.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Word is this one has sold decently well and should be progressing forward.
They had 200/372 homes sold in the first 30 days, believed they launched near the end of August.

There was also a lot of competition in this area so it's nice to see they are doing well.

https://storeys.com/burnaby-metrotow...ondo-launches/

Maybe this is xenophobic but I would be pretty curious as to what % of buyers at these developments are Canadian-born. I'm fairly sure Burnaby presales are exceeding $/sq ft of Downtown Toronto which is pretty crazy. Over here in Edmonton you can pick up a 2 bedroom preconstruction for like $300k downtown.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja384 View Post
They had 200/372 homes sold in the first 30 days, believed they launched near the end of August.

There was also a lot of competition in this area so it's nice to see they are doing well.

Maybe this is xenophobic but I would be pretty curious as to what % of buyers at these developments are Canadian-born. I'm fairly sure Burnaby presales are exceeding $/sq ft of Downtown Toronto which is pretty crazy. Over here in Edmonton you can pick up a 2 bedroom preconstruction for like $300k downtown.
Our sales have had about a 50-50 Canadian born to non-Canadian born purchasers. This was before rates increased and higher end product, so maybe not a fair assessment across the board.

I assume $300k for a nicer unit? Seems high to me with detached in Bonnie Doon or Holyrood going for just above that price.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja384 View Post

I'm not sure what difference it makes whether someone buying a home in Burnaby was born in Canada, or somewhere else. Over 50% of Burnaby's population were immigrants in 2021, but most of them were citizens, and of course Landed Immigrants are allowed to buy property too. Currently foreign buyers aren't allowed to buy individual residential properties in Metro Vancouver, (or in Edmonton).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:52 AM

An excavator was working on site earlier today. It looked like it was digging, but the site is huge for one excavator..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley