HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
It also looks like there is excavation happening just south of Pura. Does that mean phase 1 of application 18-0443 is starting? Not sure the project name.

https://www.surrey.ca/sites/default/...18-0443-01.pdf
Looks like they are subdividing the lot so they can first construct the rental tower so yea looks like it.

I'm not too sure how co-ops work to be honest but I hope the Mayflower by University District gets torn down and replaced. City could maybe buy the plots north of the new Sunshine co-op and rebuild it there, would work perfectly.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:57 PM

No sooner did I post that pic from earlier this afternoon, and then this arrives in the mail for 13265 104 Ave - yet more in that block! Progress as we speak - literally.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja384 View Post
Looks like they are subdividing the lot so they can first construct the rental tower so yea looks like it.

I'm not too sure how co-ops work to be honest but I hope the Mayflower by University District gets torn down and replaced. City could maybe buy the plots north of the new Sunshine co-op and rebuild it there, would work perfectly.
From what I recall this is the plan for most rental redevelopments in Surrey. Their tenant replacement/relocation requirements are quite stringent, so most proposals have an on site phase 1 rental building that allows them to relocate most tenants on site without needing to find somewhere else to relocate them to.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
From what I recall this is the plan for most rental redevelopments in Surrey. Their tenant replacement/relocation requirements are quite stringent, so most proposals have an on site phase 1 rental building that allows them to relocate most tenants on site without needing to find somewhere else to relocate them to.
That's good to hear. I know it can be a bit of a pain for developers, but in a housing crisis, displacing existing renters is counter productive even if the end goal is a net increase in rental units. This way it forces developers to build purpose-built rental, something that has been sorely missing in Metro Vancouver for decades and we're now finally starting to see a resurgence.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:05 AM

A very significant proposal has just been submitted to redevelop several low rises north of Bosa's Bristol Estates. Don't quite understand why they would offer so commercial space in that area though. Interested to see the developer behind this project, seems to be the Onni group who own the buildings. There used to be a separate application for the rightmost building by Fastmark development that has since been closed.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=24&seq=0084

Last edited by kja384; Apr 4, 2024 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Don't quite understand why they would offer so commercial space in that area though.
It makes some sense to me.

It's on the far western edge of Surrey's "central city" but there's bound to be densification west of that point over time and there's no other real commercial areas until you get down to Scott Road. It's also right in the middle laterally of all the current densification on the west side of KGB.

132nd Street is also the secondary North-South road for this area, with the primary being KGB, that makes it relatively convenient for drivers as well.

Are there any detailed plans? Given the large floor area in the application, perhaps the commercial space is for big box stores.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:38 PM

Hey, that's the first apartment building I rented in when I moved to Surrey! My brother and I shared a 2 bedroom for $880 a month. I visited during the pandemic when I was a Skip driver and it was in sad shape, with the floors all sloped into the centre and every step kicked up decades of nicotine and musty dirt.

I'm hoping it'll end up like Willowby Village or the Hub, with lots of little shops and services down below and condos on top.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
It makes some sense to me.

It's on the far western edge of Surrey's "central city" but there's bound to be densification west of that point over time and there's no other real commercial areas until you get down to Scott Road. It's also right in the middle laterally of all the current densification on the west side of KGB.

132nd Street is also the secondary North-South road for this area, with the primary being KGB, that makes it relatively convenient for drivers as well.

Are there any detailed plans? Given the large floor area in the application, perhaps the commercial space is for big box stores.
Surrey Central needs a Homesense. Fingers Crossed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Surrey Central needs a Homesense. Fingers Crossed.
We need more grocery options than Walmart. We need places for people to go to instead of leaving Surrey Central to do stuff and coming back to sleep.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
We need more grocery options than Walmart. We need places for people to go to instead of leaving Surrey Central to do stuff and coming back to sleep.
There's a T&T in the same mall as Walmart, a Save-On Foods at King George Hub, and a Nesters at Gateway Station. Among a litany of small grocers. There are other options.

Agreed on the places for people, though there's some good streetscapes coming in some of these developments.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
A very significant proposal has just been submitted to redevelop several low rises north of Bosa's Bristol Estates. Don't quite understand why they would offer so commercial space in that area though. Interested to see the developer behind this project, seems to be the Onni group who own the buildings. There used to be a separate application for the rightmost building by Fastmark development that has since been closed.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=24&seq=0084
As I sorta expected the development application has changed to include ~27k sq ft of commercial, assume the original was an error but who knows.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
As I sorta expected the development application has changed to include ~27k sq ft of commercial, assume the original was an error but who knows.
Any idea why the application is for 4 lots when there are only 3 buildings in the Regency development? Or are they including the 4th apartment building across from the baseball diamond?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Any idea why the application is for 4 lots when there are only 3 buildings in the Regency development? Or are they including the 4th apartment building across from the baseball diamond?
All 4. Would be nice with more retail space honestly. There is like 6k units between several developments in that area with a total of 35k sq ft of retail. Georgetown for comparison will be 3500 units with 126k.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:53 PM

If anyone wants to laugh here is the plans/pricing for Parksville 96 https://www.parksville96.com/ Developer has zero highrise experience whatsoever.
I expect this to be the new normal unfortunately. Prices have gotten to the point where some developers are having to launch at $1200/sqft just for the numbers to make sense. The only draw to Surrey is affordability and to achieve this units need to be much smaller. I wonder what's going to happen as the Skytrain gets built and Surrey Central has to compete with several more town centres within the city itself.

The mid-tower (floors 8-26) start on page 50.
https://cdn.spark.re/uploads/materia...rplans-all.pdf

https://cdn.spark.re/uploads/materia...Incentives.pdf

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:01 PM

How are they able to label so many of those as two bedrooms when a lot of the second bedrooms clearly don't have windows, or even a sliding door for light?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
How are they able to label so many of those as two bedrooms when a lot of the second bedrooms clearly don't have windows, or even a sliding door for light?
Because you don’t need a window to call it a bedroom

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 11:49 PM

I know technically they don't need windows if they're sprinklered but I thought surrey had a policy that required them. Can't find it now though so maybe I was wrong.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:27 AM

One of the oldest approved developments in Surrey has recently been listed for sale. It was initially proposed 6 years ago with very little movement for the last 3.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ge-blvd-surrey

Sucks they are putting up a new homeless shelter in the area, this development will be south of Bridgeview by Oviedo which currently has a sales centre under construction.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/1115...-oviedo-towers

I also see that the plaza south of UBC's $70m acquisition was sold for a whopping $40.5m, and allegedly it was to a UBC related company. The purchase was only a few months after the original purpose and UBC did say they were looking for additional properties. There is one article about it but it's paywalled, anyone hear anything about it? 9666 King George Blvd.
https://www.costar.com/article/19828...er-development

Last edited by kja384; Apr 12, 2024 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:13 AM

https://www.surrey.ca/sites/default/...ts/AGN_ADP.pdf

Bristol Estates by Bosa going from 2,202 homes to 2692. Originally the tallest tower was planned to be 52 storeys, wonder if we'll see an even taller one. 2017 -> 2281 condos, 185 -> 411 rentals.

Edit: NVM im wrong it was always ~2700

Last edited by kja384; Apr 14, 2024 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 4:34 PM

2024-04-13

KOMMA

Untitled by Lexus LX, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley